Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Nov 20, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #5,417 of 14,386

I'll bet you're surprised anybody would have noticed that? That was a movie I watched many times so pretty hard to not notice. Awesome avatar. My 10 year old daughter made me change my avatar from a Salvador Dali image to the cat. She said nobody wants to see a melting clock, but people like kittens. Kind of hard to not see her point. She also informed me how stupid my user name is!

You clearly know how to appreciate the fine things in life if you recognized my avatar. Tis a movie for the ages, legendary in all ways - 

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:03 AM Post #5,418 of 14,386
I'm really considering trying out the 400i with the $300 black friday deal coming up.  Do we have any info if this deal will only be on their webstore? Time the deal goes live?

Currently I have an HD650 running out of a Magni2/Modi2 uber stack.  How do these two headphones compare?

EDIT: Plus, how would the 400i sound out of my amp/dac setup?

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #5,419 of 14,386
How is the treble on the HE-400i? I'm considering to buy them but worried about if they will be sibilant. HD800, T1 and HE-560 were sibilant to me. Also curious to hear if anyone in here has heard both Ether and HE-400i and would compare the treble on them as well. I've heard a person say that HE-400i is smoother in the treble compared to Ether even when the graph suggests otherwise. Any comments?

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #5,420 of 14,386
  How is the treble on the HE-400i? I'm considering to buy them but worried about if they will be sibilant. HD800, T1 and HE-560 were sibilant to me. Also curious to hear if anyone in here has heard both Ether and HE-400i and would compare the treble on them as well. I've heard a person say that HE-400i is smoother in the treble compared to Ether even when the graph suggests otherwise. Any comments?

Check back a few pages, I asked the same question. Consensus from multiple people was that it was pretty tame, smooth. I'm treble-sensitive as well - 

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #5,421 of 14,386
  Like we can take seriously the opinion of somebody with a disturbed looking clown/ballet performer avatar. No  sir, that is just messed up. ​

i will say it without acrimony , my avatar is an efficient stupidity remark detector....
atsmile.gif

Nov 20, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #5,422 of 14,386
Nov 20, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #5,424 of 14,386

Wow, a plenty of new posts during these few days ! Feels like one year ( or year and a half) ago, when every day so many posts about then new HE-400i were coming to the board.  Guess some upcoming deal has something to do with it 
normal_smile .gif
 !  299$ for new HE-400i seems like no brainer if you are in a market for mid-tier headphones... You would have to search very hard to find better sounding headphones under 300 $ (new or used)...

Quote:

From my experience HE-400i is one of the most listener-friendly headphones as far as sibilance goes. E.g. HD 800, He-560, McIntosh MHP 1000 or Beyer DT 990 were all to my ears more prone to sibilance than HE-400i. I can´t say that about T1 or Ether, because I haven´t heard them yet. HE-400i treble is generally smooth yet at the same time natural and detailed although some higher end headphones can offer better micro-detail definition and better sense of airiness (think of HD 800, HE-560, HE-6...) 

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #5,425 of 14,386

From my experience HE-400i is one of the most listener-friendly headphones as far as sibilance goes. E.g. HD 800, He-560, McIntosh MHP 1000 or Beyer DT 990 were all to my ears more prone to sibilance than HE-400i. I can´t say that about T1 or Ether, because I haven´t heard them yet. HE-400i treble is generally smooth yet at the same time natural and detailed although some higher end headphones can offer better micro-detail definition and better sense of airiness (think of HD 800, HE-560, HE-6...)

Just for the heck of it, and just for thread: the phones you listed (800, Mcintosh, etc.) are not on my radar due to the treble, especially the 800.  That such headphones are considered high-end is amazing to me.

I personally didn't find the HE560 or the HE-6 to have the same problems.

For me, listener-friendly will always trump "high-end" status.  Hence, my love for the 400i's

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #5,426 of 14,386
  Just for the heck of it, and just for thread: the phones you listed (800, Mcintosh, etc.) are not on my radar due to the treble, especially the 800.  That such headphones are considered high-end is amazing to me.

I personally didn't find the HE560 or the HE-6 to have the same problems.

For me, listener-friendly will always trump "high-end" status.  Hence, my love for the 400i's

Interesting point, I agree to a degree :)  Taking little risk here, as I´m going a bit off topic- but nevertheless you are also Grado fan, aren´t they just overly bright and thus also prone to sibilance ? (Haven´t heard any Grado yet, that´s why I´m asking)

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #5,427 of 14,386
  Interesting point, I agree to a degree :)  Taking little risk here, as I´m going a bit off topic- but nevertheless you are also Grado fan, aren´t they just overly bright and thus also prone to sibilance ? (Haven´t heard any Grado yet, that´s why I´m asking)

Great question, and also shows the faulty thinking on my part regarding the headphones I just, well, dismissed...

Grado's for me are amazing headphones, and the clairty of my lowly 225i's is something to experience.  But only at moderate volume.  Anything above 85 dB, and they're unbearable for me.  But at moderate volume, they really present rock and blues better than just about anything.  Just don't expect any meaningful bass below 40 hz.  Like, ever
biggrin.gif

The 400i's give me the low-bass I crave, and are much better at higher volume.

Which all makes me think I should re-visit the HD-800's some day

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #5,428 of 14,386

Grado's for me are amazing headphones, and the clairty of my lowly 225i's is something to experience. 

The 225i was one of my first decent headphone, and like you I loved them. Went to an HF2 after and since have not returned to Grado. I might one day, but the price versus performance isn't very favourable in the high end models that I want to try.

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #5,429 of 14,386
  I'm really considering trying out the 400i with the $300 black friday deal coming up.  Do we have any info if this deal will only be on their webstore? Time the deal goes live?

Currently I have an HD650 running out of a Magni2/Modi2 uber stack.  How do these two headphones compare?

EDIT: Plus, how would the 400i sound out of my amp/dac setup?

the 400i works well with the M&M 2.

check for my posts a few pages ago.

Nov 20, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #5,430 of 14,386
  The 225i was one of my first decent headphone, and like you I loved them. Went to an HF2 after and since have not returned to Grado. I might one day, but the price versus performance isn't very favourable in the high end models that I want to try.

Yeah, that's the only reaosn I don't have the GS1000e, which I had on the Tour when they first came out.

I feel like a brocken record, but the 400i's really have me re-considering what "high end" may be all about. I might, might that is, be at end-game with them and the Alpha Primes.  I'm waiting for the Cavalli Liquid Carbon to arrive to seriously evaluate my options.

edit: except for Stax.  I can't really have a final opinion until I try electrostatics.  I mean, can I?
confused_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back