Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Nov 22, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #5,461 of 14,386
  I hope that they're selling HE400i's with the new connector for this black friday sale. I don't want to the priority plugs. :frowning2:

The new stock should all have the new connectors. I recently got a HE-400i and it was the updated version. You can contact the seller if ask specifically about it if that makes you more comfortable :)

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #5,462 of 14,386
  I posted some of this in the m9XX thread but I'll share here also:

The m9XX is able to power both my 400i and K7XX at the same time without problem. And I must say it makes the K7XX sound absolutely wonderful! Since I am able to switch headphones with almost no delay, it's easy to hear the difference in presentation and soundstage between the two. The 400i is very intimate with vocals and just stunning with stringed instruments. The K7XX is a very wide soundstage and just a very smooth sound all around.

It seems the the 400i can sometimes be sibilant whereas the K7XX kind of smooths over it.

Yo! I reviewed the m9XX, and have the K7XX too! I'm on the fence about the HE-400i deal though, I feel like I'm getting greedy there. Is it just my version, or the m9XX/HE-400i pairing has some of the best bass in the business?

Since I don't have both on me right now, could you tell me how's the soundstage with the m9XX/HE-400i combo, especially compared to the K7XX? That would be a real lifesaver to me. I'm not sure whether it's worth the upgrade to the HE-400i, or the K7XX actually sounds better than the 400i on it.

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #5,463 of 14,386

Since I don't have both on me right now, could you tell me how's the soundstage with the m9XX/HE-400i combo, especially compared to the K7XX? That would be a real lifesaver to me. I'm not sure whether it's worth the upgrade to the HE-400i, or the K7XX actually sounds better than the 400i on it.

Probably has been already mentioned a hundred times, but I am sad to jump on the bandwagon as well: 400i has no soundstage. Momentum has a bigger soundstage, M-100 has a bigger soundstage, HD600 and 650 have enormous soundstage compared to 400i and K7** as well as HD800 are in a godlike league.

This is not a headphone for "airy" music; that's its main downside. Grill mod (there are a number threads on it here) makes the sound "airier", but emphasizes headphone's brightness making it an annoying listen, as well as disappearing the bass.

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #5,464 of 14,386
  Probably has been already mentioned a hundred times, but I am sad to jump on the bandwagon as well: 400i has no soundstage. Momentum has a bigger soundstage, M-100 has a bigger soundstage, HD600 and 650 have enormous soundstage compared to 400i and K7** as well as HD800 are in a godlike league.

This is not a headphone for "airy" music; that's its main downside. Grill mod (there are a number threads on it here) makes the sound "airier", but emphasizes headphone's brightness making it an annoying listen, as well as disappearing the bass.

Thing is, I heard of that, but when I gave a listen to the HE-400i with the m9XX, it didn't sound as closed in (as far as I remember). Tonality was awesome, so I'm hoping @canthearyou can verify if the m9XX does miracles with the 400i, especially since tonality-wise it's jaw dropping - especially compared to other dac/amps.

I would sell the T90, and keep the K7XX and HE-400i (since they complement each other), but I'm afraid I won't have enough listening time with two headphones.

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #5,465 of 14,386
Yo! I reviewed the m9XX, and have the K7XX too! I'm on the fence about the HE-400i deal though, I feel like I'm getting greedy there. Is it just my version, or the m9XX/HE-400i pairing has some of the best bass in the business?

Thing is, I heard of that, but when I gave a listen to the HE-400i with the m9XX, it didn't sound as closed in (as far as I remember). Tonality was awesome, so I'm hoping @canthearyou
 can verify if the m9XX does miracles with the 400i, especially since tonality-wise it's jaw dropping - especially compared to other dac/amps.

I would sell the T90, and keep the K7XX and HE-400i (since they complement each other), but I'm afraid I won't have enough listening time with two headphones.

The details, clarity and vocals are won by the 400i. Soundstage, and presentation and openness are won by the K7XX. IMO

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:06 PM Post #5,466 of 14,386
The details, clarity and vocals are won by the 400i. Soundstage, and presentation and openness are won by the K7XX. IMO

Damn, I'm not much of a vocals guy. If you have time, which wins in the bass category, and is the soundstage bearable on the HE-400i in your opinion?

Last question; which would you choose over the other, and if it's the HE-400i, do you think that it's a worthwhile upgrade?

Again, sorry for the trouble. Have two midterms tomorrow that I haven't studied for yet, but heck, headphones are more important 
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2015 at 9:26 PM Post #5,467 of 14,386
I just got to spend an hour with my 400i's, watching en episode of "The Walking Dead" (I'm two episodes behind). My GF was talking to family on Facetime, so it was the perfect chance to kick back.

Once gain, these cans remind why I love headphones so much. These are really, really nice. Wide soundstage, detailed background noise, accurate dialogue. Nice!

And folk, at $299 a pop, I totally expect them to sell out.

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #5,470 of 14,386
^Is RazorDog legit? Is it safe to buy there? Been refreshing hifiman's website since 12NN (+8 GMT) for the deal but the prices are still not discounted to reflect the holiday sale. 

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #5,471 of 14,386

Is that used or new?

I'm sure these are brand new 400i headphones.  No mention of them being Open Box which Razordog always specifies in their listings.

I pulled the trigger as they offer free priority shipping. With any luck I may receive them before Thanksgiving.

I'll also vouch for Razordog's customer service which in my experience was fantastic.

Can't wait to hear em'!

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #5,472 of 14,386

I'm sure these are brand new 400i headphones.  No mention of them being Open Box which Razordog always specifies in their listings.

I pulled the trigger as they offer free priority shipping. With any luck I may receive them before Thanksgiving.

I'll also vouch for Razordog's customer service which in my experience was fantastic.

Can't wait to hear em'!

Sounds great! I think I'll wait for Hifiman's deal, to make sure I get the updated version. Priority shipping is always awesome though! Don't think the $50 off coupon works on it though, would have definitely pulled the trigger then.

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #5,473 of 14,386
Nov 22, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #5,474 of 14,386

Sounds great! I think I'll wait for Hifiman's deal, to make sure I get the updated version. Priority shipping is always awesome though! Don't think the $50 off coupon works on it though, would have definitely pulled the trigger then.

That's a good point.  I forgot about the fact that the 400i originally had the screw on connectors. I'd rather have the newer plug connectors.

Oh well, not a big deal if I get the old ones as I rarely remove cables.  Hopefully Razodog moves enough inventory to have the newer version.

Nov 22, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #5,475 of 14,386

Huh, I've never bought anything from them before, but I like that 60 day return policy.  Has anyone had experience buying from them before?

Woah, 60 day return policy? I've heard good things about RazorDog, though never bought anything myself. 10% restocking fee is a bummer, though 
frown.gif

Hifiman seems to have a 30 day return policy too. No mention of a restocking fee either. Anyone try returning stuff to hifiman?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back