Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Feb 5, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #11,476 of 14,386

The sound depends on what the person who built it did such as how the drivers are mounted (tape or press fit), if they were flush or stuck out a touch, dynamat and how much was put in the cups, ear pads used (L or G pad), and also it could have been a defective driver (I had to send one pair back since it was as you say it sounded) and as always its a personal preference and how we all hear differently.  Had a friend who bought my HD-600 take one listen to the Ypsilon and the HD-600 was history the next week and she built her own Ypsilon build, a few other head-fier who have heard my pair liked it more than their Ether, Ether C, HD-650 and LCD-3 so I think the one you listened to probably sounds quite different from mine.

Would be interesting to hear a pair!

And related to the thinness discussion above and in general, I wouldn't exactly call 400i a "thick" headphone :p

Feb 5, 2017 at 7:14 AM Post #11,477 of 14,386

Would be interesting to hear a pair!

And related to the thinness discussion above and in general, I wouldn't exactly call 400i a "thick" headphone :p

If you lived in the US somewhere it might be easier to find one or I could send it to you but I'm not to keen on sending it over seas.  I only know a few that have taken the time to build one.  I've built 2 for others and they love them and when I get the parts for another I was going to send the first pair to a friend to listen to.

Agree the 400i is not what I would call a "thick" or very "full" sound but its not bad either.

Feb 5, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #11,478 of 14,386
  If you lived in the US somewhere it might be easier to find one or I could send it to you but I'm not to keen on sending it over seas.  I only know a few that have taken the time to build one.  I've built 2 for others and they love them and when I get the parts for another I was going to send the first pair to a friend to listen to.

Agree the 400i is not what I would call a "thick" or very "full" sound but its not bad either.

A tour of your headphone would be funny though!
Are you in fact selling your tinkerings?

Feb 5, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #11,479 of 14,386
  Its amazing how hair can get into some of the tightest spaces, its probably somewhere between the ear pad and driver membrane so send it back as you don't want to risk trying to remove the hair if its still under the return policy.

The sound depends on what the person who built it did such as how the drivers are mounted (tape or press fit), if they were flush or stuck out a touch, dynamat and how much was put in the cups, ear pads used (L or G pad), and also it could have been a defective driver (I had to send one pair back since it was as you say it sounded) and as always its a personal preference and how we all hear differently.  Had a friend who bought my HD-600 take one listen to the Ypsilon and the HD-600 was history the next week and she built her own Ypsilon build, a few other head-fier who have heard my pair liked it more than their Ether, Ether C, HD-650 and LCD-3 so I think the one you listened to probably sounds quite different from mine.

As for comfort I agree that with flats or bowls they are not very comfortable but with the G pads (donuts) they are quite comfortable and to me have a bigger sound stage and better bass than a HE-400i, breath well so my ears don't get hot, and are quite light weight.

How I came to find out how good they can sound was to build a bunch of them with different woods, drivers and ear pads:

The Ypsilon I tried was press fit, they were also well used and came from a very respectable head fier who does a lot of DIY builds. In my opinion the build quality was top notch, and he also thought they sounded better then LCD's (as you've described some opinions on your own). I didn't try these with G Pads.

After listening to them for about a week, I think it's laughable to say these sound anywhere near as good as LCD's, HD650, or HE400i's. I highly doubt there is enough difference in sound brought on by differences in your build that would account for that much improvement in sound over the one I tried, but who knows.

One of the wonderful things about headphones (and sound in general) is how everyone interprets things differently. The Ypsilon's sounded like crap to me, but all power to you  if you enjoy them as much as you do! 
biggrin.gif

Feb 5, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #11,481 of 14,386

A tour of your headphone would be funny though!
Are you in fact selling your tinkerings?

I've only sold them to friends who asked me to build it for them after hearing mine.  Since its hard to get parts at times (the wood ear cups are the hardest to find) and it takes 3 weeks to 6 weeks for the parts to get shipped to me in Hawaii its not something I would do very often.  Also, after getting one pair of drivers that needed to be returned its a PITA and costly sending it back to another country.

Sending one on a tour might be an idea, need to think about this.

Feb 6, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #11,482 of 14,386
Just replaced my old focused pads with the new Dekoni Audio's sheep skin pads I got at CanJam NYC and noticed a slight difference with the soundstage and much cleaner bass. It was a lot easier than I thought it was gonna be and worth it!

Feb 6, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #11,486 of 14,386
Wow what a nice job does the extended burn in to these headphones, the highs have smoothed out a lot! They don't sound harsh anymore, I have a disc from Barcelona "Not quite yours" and almost all the songs sounded harsh and sibilant? I left these the weekend burning in, with a higher volume and helped a lot, maybe I'm listening just too low of a volume for these to actually burn in while I'm listening...

Feb 6, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #11,487 of 14,386
  Wow what a nice job does the extended burn in to these headphones, the highs have smoothed out a lot! They don't sound harsh anymore, I have a disc from Barcelona "Not quite yours" and almost all the songs sounded harsh and sibilant? I left these the weekend burning in, with a higher volume and helped a lot, maybe I'm listening just too low of a volume for these to actually burn in while I'm listening...

I'd vote for brain burn-in :p

Feb 6, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #11,489 of 14,386

I was of the same opinion, when I got mine, I thought they sounded sibilant and harsh on many songs and reached for the EQ all the time. However, after listening to them for 2 weeks constantly, I can say they sound alot better and I only use EQ to up the bass a bit on certain tracks. No longer need to EQ 4/8 khz down by 3-4db like I did at the beginning.

However, I need to return mine due to some weird noise in the right earcup so we will see after that if my new pair sound terrible at first then = burn in works, if not, then I have simply adjusted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back