Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Feb 4, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #11,461 of 14,386

m9XX settings or measured volume?
55-65, (and 70+ occasionally when I need to blast something) for me on the m9XX normally, with 6dB cut /w EQ.

M9xx setting (which I thought was db ?)

+2db on freq below 100hz - using Peace GUI for EQ APO, otherwise flat (and without any gain)

I'm 46 now, can only hear up to 16Khz (and might also have some mild hearing loss ? lol)

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #11,462 of 14,386

M9xx setting (which I thought was db ?)

+2db on freq below 100hz - using Peace GUI for EQ APO, otherwise flat (and without any gain)

I'm 46 now, can only hear up to 16Khz (and might also have some mild hearing loss ? lol)

It's stepped by 0.5dB intervals with 99dB range, different cans have different volumes. Over 60 is quite loud with the easier to drive LCD-Xs.

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #11,463 of 14,386
I'll be returning my hifiman he-400i that I bought about a week ago because the right earcup seems defunctional in some way. It has some weird electrical "crackling" noise that is really only noticaeble when playing classical/ambient music or something that has quiet parts in between. Any idea what this could be? Thankfully I didn't order them directly from hifiman so all I have to do is drive them back to the store.

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #11,464 of 14,386
  I'll be returning my hifiman he-400i that I bought about a week ago because the right earcup seems defunctional in some way. It has some weird electrical "crackling" noise that is really only noticaeble when playing classical/ambient music or something that has quiet parts in between. Any idea what this could be? Thankfully I didn't order them directly from hifiman so all I have to do is drive them back to the store.

Could be the connectors, the driver, a piece of hair.

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #11,465 of 14,386
Just picked up a pair locally for a smoking deal I couldn't pass up.

Coming from my DT-770's these are unbelievable, everything is completely neutral and sounds so smooth.

Bass is not as heavy, but is way more precise.

Glad the cable is detachable, but this angled one is a complete PITA.

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #11,466 of 14,386
Quote:

Coming from my DT-770's these are unbelievable, everything is completely neutral and sounds so smooth.

I don't really agree that they are completely neutral. I think they have a bit of emphasis on the higher end of the spectrum (peaks somewhere at 4/8khz that I needed to EQ down on some songs.) It's definitely noticeable to me at least. Then again I consider myself very sensitive to treble.

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #11,467 of 14,386

I don't really agree that they are completely neutral. I think they have a bit of emphasis on the higher end of the spectrum (peaks somewhere at 4/8khz that I needed to EQ down on some songs.) It's definitely noticeable to me at least. Then again I consider myself very sensitive to treble.

Agreed, nowhere near as bad as the Beyer's though.

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #11,468 of 14,386
  Could be the connectors, the driver, a piece of hair.

A piece of hair? Didn't know the magnets were that sensitive. Anyway I am not opening these up since the "no questions asked" return policy has not expired, the store will have to deal with the problem instead.

Agreed, nowhere near as bad as the Beyer's though.

This I will agree on ^^

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:37 PM Post #11,469 of 14,386

My biggest gripe was also the cable with the headphones. It's not a bad cable, but it's very stiff and the angled plug just doesn't work for me.I bought a custom cable immediately and am now very happy. I will not be upgrading to anything else for quite some time.

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #11,470 of 14,386

My biggest gripe was also the cable with the headphones. It's not a bad cable, but it's very stiff and the angled plug just doesn't work for me.I bought a custom cable immediately and am now very happy. I will not be upgrading to anything else for quite some time.

Can you let me know which one & where you purchased it at?

Thanks.

Feb 4, 2017 at 9:47 PM Post #11,471 of 14,386
  The highest I tried to listen with the X1 is 85, at this level (70dB avg, 83dB peak) I don't hear any distortion but its very uncomfortable and I can only listen for a few seconds.

My HE-400i is an older model with the SMC connectors and the back plate, it has been modded with sorbothane in the cups and on the back plate, also have done the grill mod so it does sound different from stock.  There is also some slight differences between the old model with the back plate and the newer one without the back plate, can't remember what they were but hopefully someone else here can remember what it was.

FWIW I don't use my HE-400i or X1 much these days, been on a weird run of building custom Grado clones using some really nice new drivers from Elleven Acoustica and Nhoord.  I know you dislike Grado's but these sound nothing like them, much more balanced and no hyped up highs to irritate anyone, here is the last one I've built: next to an EL8 for size comparison at 1/3 the weight, only thing the EL8 does better is that it has slightly more the sub-bass.

A picture of the driver with a modified cup and SMC jacks for removable cables.

Not to derail into a Grado discussion, but I just don't see why people like Grado or Grado style headphones. I actually spent some time with a custom built Grado using Elleven's Ypsilon drivers last year. I thought they sounded awful next to my HD650's. They sounded very thin and harsh and were extremely uncomfortable. The seller told me he preferred them to LCD 2's so I was very curious. I had them for about a week and quickly returned them, certainly not even in the same stratosphere as LCD 2's in my opinion. I definitely see the draw in building these custom cans, some of them look incredible and beautiful, but the sound just doesn't match the appearance.

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:15 PM Post #11,472 of 14,386

Not to derail into a Grado discussion, but I just don't see why people like Grado or Grado style headphones. I actually spent some time with a custom built Grado using Elleven's Ypsilon drivers last year. I thought they sounded awful next to my HD650's. They sounded very thin and harsh and were extremely uncomfortable. The seller told me he preferred them to LCD 2's so I was very curious. I had them for about a week and quickly returned them, certainly not even in the same stratosphere as LCD 2's in my opinion. I definitely see the draw in building these custom cans, some of them look incredible and beautiful, but the sound just doesn't match the appearance.

If you like the LCD-2 and the HD650 alot I guess you have a sound taste more like mine and from what I read I would not like Grados very much, hence I haven't bothered trying them. I can't really stand headphones that have a heavy emphasis on the treble (which I have read most Grados have). The LCD-2 and HD650 probably have a very different sound signature. Different strokes for different folks. It's good that there are many alternatives to choose from.

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:37 PM Post #11,473 of 14,386

If you like the LCD-2 and the HD650 alot I guess you have a sound taste more like mine and from what I read I would not like Grados very much, hence I haven't bothered trying them. I can't really stand headphones that have a heavy emphasis on the treble (which I have read most Grados have). The LCD-2 and HD650 probably have a very different sound signature. Different strokes for different folks. It's good that there are many alternatives to choose from.

It's not even just about the signature though, I mean, of course they have different sound signatures. But just the quality of sound is in a completely different realm overall. I haven't heard any Grado's outside of the SR series, or any customs besides the ones I mentioned, but none of them really sound good to me. They all sound thin, like the overall tone of the headphones just have no body or "heft" to the sound. They have a very thin almost annoying sound, for lack of a better word. They almost sound cheap to me...and that's not even getting into the lack of comfort of their designs (something that's a fairly common criticism).

I mean nothing against people who are big Grado fans, as you mentioned, different strokes. I think building customs certainly has an appeal, and many of the headphones look like a work of art with all the different fine looking wood cups. David's headphone above looks very nice! I just don't feel like the sound quality matches the appearance.

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:42 PM Post #11,474 of 14,386

Quote:

A piece of hair? Didn't know the magnets were that sensitive. Anyway I am not opening these up since the "no questions asked" return policy has not expired, the store will have to deal with the problem instead.

This I will agree on ^^

Its amazing how hair can get into some of the tightest spaces, its probably somewhere between the ear pad and driver membrane so send it back as you don't want to risk trying to remove the hair if its still under the return policy.

The sound depends on what the person who built it did such as how the drivers are mounted (tape or press fit), if they were flush or stuck out a touch, dynamat and how much was put in the cups, ear pads used (L or G pad), and also it could have been a defective driver (I had to send one pair back since it was as you say it sounded) and as always its a personal preference and how we all hear differently.  Had a friend who bought my HD-600 take one listen to the Ypsilon and the HD-600 was history the next week and she built her own Ypsilon build, a few other head-fier who have heard my pair liked it more than their Ether, Ether C, HD-650 and LCD-3 so I think the one you listened to probably sounds quite different from mine.

As for comfort I agree that with flats or bowls they are not very comfortable but with the G pads (donuts) they are quite comfortable and to me have a bigger sound stage and better bass than a HE-400i, breath well so my ears don't get hot, and are quite light weight.

How I came to find out how good they can sound was to build a bunch of them with different woods, drivers and ear pads:

Feb 4, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #11,475 of 14,386

I agree that most Grados are quite bright and there are a few that even I don't like (SR-325e and SR80i that I've tried) but some like the PS500 are actually darker than the HD-650 and have some really nice bass and others like the RS2e which is bright but its so smooth unlike the HE-400i treble which is a bit grainy and can get sibilant at times for me.  Another problem with Grados is that to some they lack bass so they start to turn up the volume too much and that is when the highs can get get harsh and sibilant, they are not designed to be blasted.  When talking about the LCD-2 its important to see what revision and even between the 2 Fazor versions since the various versions sound quite different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back