Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Feb 8, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #11,507 of 14,386
  Will be the Geek Out 450 be good for them?

Ahh, I see you asked about it in the 650 thread, I'm afraid I can't give a better answer. For example, what @DavidA said.

Cheaper SS amps with fixed and/or low output impedance seldom do them justice, but then again, aren't the outs in 450 with different impedances. People report different preferences, and there's this bundle as well.

Feb 8, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #11,508 of 14,386

I first used the Audeze pads on my HE-6, and they were fabulous.  I sold them with my HE-6, and realized the mistake after getting the HE-400i, so I just bought another pair from audeze.  They ship them fast, with double-sided adhesive rings so you can dispense with the plastic holders altogether.  Both times I have bought the `vegan` pads, a kind of synthetic suede material (alcantra?) that is not sticky in hot/humid weather.  Comfort is out of this world - like beds for my hears.  

Sound-wise I do not notice any detriment to the highs or mids; I just notice bass boost, and it`s quality bass.  But this will be variable for each individual - moving the drivers away from the ear increases bass incrementally, while incrementally decreasing bass quality - increasing muddiness, mushiness, whomp and blimp.  

I think I have mine right exactly at growling thunder rumbles.  

The pads are $80usd and I`ve bought them twice directly from Audeze`s webstore; they`ve shipped them to me fast here in Tokyo without issue.  It`s ironic that I have never liked their headphones - I freaking LOVE their pads, and their service, and I`ve met them - their nice guys.  

Anyway if you`re after bass, and comfort, don`t hesitate to get the audeze pads, they are really well made IMO and IME, and I have rolled a lot of pads on my HE headphones : STAX leather, Fostex leather, etc. 

I know this is like from a month ago, but these are the "Leather free" pads in Audeze webstore? 

Do you have any videos or can point me to one to see how these are installed?

Thanks a lot!!

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #11,510 of 14,386

Ahh, I see you asked about it in the 650 thread, I'm afraid I can't give a better answer. For example, what @DavidA said.

Cheaper SS amps with fixed and/or low output impedance seldom do them justice, but then again, aren't the outs in 450 with different impedances. People report different preferences, and there's this bundle as well.

Yes, the GO 450 has 2 different 3.5mm outputs, one with 0.47 ohm and the other with 47 ohm

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #11,512 of 14,386
  Yeah, I'm looking for a headphone with smoother treble and more forward vocals than the HE-400i, and the HD 650 seems to be that headphone from what I've read so far.

Between HD-600 and HD-650 there is a noticeable difference in the treble, for me the HD-600 has a treble peak at 4-5khz which bothered me and a few others from what I've seen on the HD-600 thread.  The HD-650 does not have this peak but for some it a little too warm or some have even called this the "veil" but I feel its not driving them properly.

The HE-400i is a great headphone at its original price of $500 but at the current prices of $250 to $350 its a really good deal IMO.  Its easier to drive than the HD-600/650 and has a sound signature that goes with many different genres of music.  I think they can be a little harsh in the highs with some genres and setups but over all they are pretty good.  One thing to consider is the level that you listen to, if you like to listen at higher levels (over 76db avg) then I feel the HD-650 would be the better choice while if you listen at levels that are a little lower (under 76dB) then the HE-400i would be a better choice IMO.

Feb 8, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #11,514 of 14,386
Team I just got bought my 400i a few days ago from an awesome member here at head-fi.
They come with the stock pads and with all of the info I gather here I decided to go for new pads...
I am going for this ones: Brainwavz Angled Memory Foam Earpad

But to my understanding I have to buy a new ring? Can any body point me to the right source to buy them from?

Thanks!

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #11,515 of 14,386
  Team I just got bought my 400i a few days ago from an awesome member here at head-fi.
They come with the stock pads and with all of the info I gather here I decided to go for new pads...

But to my understanding I have to buy a new ring? Can any body point me to the right source to buy them from?

Thanks!

I had to order a pair of these for the rings: http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/accessories/velour-earpads.html

I contacted hi-fi man support and they informed me that the rings alone could be had, but for the same price, so there's really no point.

Edit: Just noticed they are out of stock on their website, but you may be able to find them elsewhere.

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #11,516 of 14,386

Thanks!

You should be able to use the ring from the old pads I think. Unless you were planning to put them on some other headphone that is.

Feb 8, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #11,518 of 14,386

Thanks!

I ordered mine from here. I purchased three sets to get to free shipping (and for a little insurance in case I break a set during installation):

https://www.moon-audio.com/hifiman-velour-replacement-earpads.html

Feb 8, 2017 at 3:35 PM Post #11,519 of 14,386
Feb 8, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #11,520 of 14,386

Stock pads have the ring glued, and it can be a bit "messy" - shure, everything's removable, but the velours' is the cheapest with an intended removable ring.

Oh, I have a pair of cheaper hifiman (350, I hate the sound of those, need to sell them on ebay) that does not have the ring glued (at least I am pretty sure it wasn't) and they came with the velour pads. Strange they would do this. Anyway if it is glued with regular "hot glue" it shouldn't be too much of a mess getting it off using some isopropyl alcohol.

edit: oh well xcom already bought new pads, just me being a cheapass who would have rather tried removing the rings from the pads to save some $$ :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back