Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Feb 3, 2017 at 2:38 PM Post #11,446 of 14,386
  Thats exactly what I was looking for, you are very kind!! So, I can listen a little louder and still keep my ears 
biggrin.gif

no problem, the 62dB is a few dB's below my normal listening level but in a very quiet environment like my living room with all the widows closed its a nice level for listening.

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #11,447 of 14,386
  no problem, the 62dB is a few dB's below my normal listening level but in a very quiet environment like my living room with all the widows closed its a nice level for listening.

That's great to know. If you don't mind my annoyance, at what setting would you hear in your X1? Despite you not using it actually to listening because it may distort or something... 

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #11,448 of 14,386

Quote:
  That's great to know. If you don't mind my annoyance, at what setting would you hear in your X1? Despite you not using it actually to listening because it may distort or something... 

The highest I tried to listen with the X1 is 85, at this level (70dB avg, 83dB peak) I don't hear any distortion but its very uncomfortable and I can only listen for a few seconds.

My HE-400i is an older model with the SMC connectors and the back plate, it has been modded with sorbothane in the cups and on the back plate, also have done the grill mod so it does sound different from stock.  There is also some slight differences between the old model with the back plate and the newer one without the back plate, can't remember what they were but hopefully someone else here can remember what it was.

FWIW I don't use my HE-400i or X1 much these days, been on a weird run of building custom Grado clones using some really nice new drivers from Elleven Acoustica and Nhoord.  I know you dislike Grado's but these sound nothing like them, much more balanced and no hyped up highs to irritate anyone, here is the last one I've built: next to an EL8 for size comparison at 1/3 the weight, only thing the EL8 does better is that it has slightly more the sub-bass.

A picture of the driver with a modified cup and SMC jacks for removable cables.

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #11,449 of 14,386
  The highest I tried to listen with the X1 is 85, at this level (70dB avg, 83dB peak) I don't hear any distortion but its very uncomfortable and I can only listen for a few seconds.

My HE-400i is an older model with the SMC connectors and the back plate, it has been modded with sorbothane in the cups and on the back plate, also have done the grill mod so it does sound different from stock.  There is also some slight differences between the old model with the back plate and the newer one without the back plate, can't remember what they were but hopefully someone else here can remember what it was.

FWIW I don't use my HE-400i or X1 much these days, been on a weird run of building custom Grado clones using some really nice new drivers from Elleven Acoustica and Nhoord.  I know you dislike Grado's but these sound nothing like them, much more balanced and no hyped up highs to irritate anyone, here is the last one I've built: next to an EL8 for size comparison at 1/3 the weight, only thing the EL8 does better is that it has slightly more the sub-bass.

A picture of the driver with a modified cup and SMC jacks for removable cables.

Wow those look extremely nice!

I don't dislike the grados! I actually loved them, but for some reason, the sound became fatiguing and I couldn't listen to them for more than 30 minutes... I think it was the fault of my source, an iPhone 3S at that time... And that I used them to commute many times, and unconsciously kept the volumes really really high, that (I think) gave me the tinnitus, at least that is what I think... It could be anything else and I just noticed it after owning the grados...

The SR325 are on my "some day" list
rolleyes.gif

It is really difficult and costly to make those??

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #11,450 of 14,386

Wow those look extremely nice!

I don't dislike the grados! I actually loved them, but for some reason, the sound became fatiguing and I couldn't listen to them for more than 30 minutes... I think it was the fault of my source, an iPhone 3S at that time... And that I used them to commute many times, and unconsciously kept the volumes really really high, that (I think) gave me the tinnitus, at least that is what I think... It could be anything else and I just noticed it after owning the grados...

The SR325 are on my "some day" list
rolleyes.gif

It is really difficult and costly to make those??

Sent you a PM since its getting off topic

If i had to commute i would go with a closed back so I wouldn't have to turn the volume up much, I normally use a MDR-7506 (velour ear pads and sorbothane/dynamat in the cups) for plane rides, really cuts the noise.

The SR325e was to bright for me, had them for 3 weeks but sent them back.

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #11,451 of 14,386
Can you elaborate on the changes the Dekoni THX00 sheepskin pads have over the stock focus pads? I've swapped for thicker leather pads in the past and although I perceived more bass which is what I originally wanted, I felt it was less textured and the mids were slightly recessed. Overall, i felt like i was losing detail so i switched back to the stock pads. I saw on the 400s thread a gentleman highly recommended the Dekoni Sheepskin Beyerdynamic DT/D pads so those are in contention also but I can't find any dimensions on Dekoni's website.

hmm , i just did a fresh comparison ,, with the stock pads vs dekoni pads 
Bass is more detailed ,, more pronounced , more coherent with the mids
Mids and vocals are more foreword ,, ( i got it recessed with the stock THX00 pads )
Trebles,, a little bit brighter , not too much
Sound stage smaller but imaging is way better and i think its the best part with the dekoni pads
with better imaging means more details and clarity over all.

Amp wise ,,, lower volume needed to get better sound .

Regarding the Beyerdynamic DT pads ,, i think they have the same size
but be aware the ear opening is defirent than the THX00 ,, so it will not give the same results ..

Feb 3, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #11,452 of 14,386
  with fiio X1 volume at 60, I get a average reading of 62dB over 3 songs with a peak of 72dB

just curious , why not using pink noise to get the reading ?

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #11,456 of 14,386
  Why not just listen at a level you are comfortable? Do we really need instruments to tell us when the music is too loud? 
biggrin.gif

putting a number puts all of us on the same page versus just "loud or average" and its has meaning when some one asks will such and such amp/DAP drive such and such headphone, it takes 10 times more power to go up 10dB in listening volume. 

Also, I think its good to know if you are listening at levels that may damage your hearing
basshead.gif

Feb 3, 2017 at 11:30 PM Post #11,457 of 14,386

FWIW, my normal listening level on the Grace M9xx is 70db ish

Might go down to 65db ish when it's late at night and it's quiet

But might go up to 73db ish when my kids are playing in the room

I use a grill mod as shown in the pic + brainwavz sheepskin angled pads if that makes any difference XD

Feb 4, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #11,458 of 14,386
  Why not just listen at a level you are comfortable? Do we really need instruments to tell us when the music is too loud? 
biggrin.gif

if you have the tool why not ,, i do it in all my amps and i mark them ,, it is a reference and reminder at the same time
gs1000.gif

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:23 AM Post #11,459 of 14,386

Nice combo of power and music!

Feb 4, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #11,460 of 14,386

FWIW, my normal listening level on the Grace M9xx is 70db ish

Might go down to 65db ish when it's late at night and it's quiet

But might go up to 73db ish when my kids are playing in the room

I use a grill mod as shown in the pic + brainwavz sheepskin angled pads if that makes any difference XD

m9XX settings or measured volume?
55-65, (and 70+ occasionally when I need to blast something) for me on the m9XX normally, with 6dB cut /w EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back