Hifiman He-400 or He-500?
Jul 29, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #136 of 510
Quote:

I had a different fortune cookie with tonight's dinner.

eek.gif
  show this to your wife and lets see what she thinks haha! 

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #137 of 510
I've read many people say that the he500 has more bass than the dt880 and many say it is on par. Which is true? I'm talking about quantity and impact.

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:04 PM Post #139 of 510
Quote:
I've read many people say that the he500 has more bass than the dt880 and many say it is on par. Which is true? I'm talking about quantity and impact.

I had the DT-880 (600 Ohm version) for a short time a month or so.  In my case, I didn't feel like the DT-880 could trump the HE-500.  Then again, it all depends on what someone is looking for in a headphone with respect to their music, etc.

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:05 AM Post #143 of 510
The HE500, I actually like the bass of the HE500 more.

Jul 30, 2013 at 3:32 AM Post #144 of 510
Quote:
HE500, by farrrrrrrr lol.

So the HE-500 would be better for music such as EDM, rap, and hip/hop? Does the sub bass extend as low as the older and discontinued Denon DX000 series?

Quote:
The HE500, I actually like the bass of the HE500 more.

I'm really interested in the HE500 now. What are your overall impressions of them compared to HE400 and AKG K702 AE?

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:35 AM Post #145 of 510
Quote:

So the HE-500 would be better for music such as EDM, rap, and hip/hop? Does the sub bass extend as low as the older and discontinued Denon DX000 series?

I'm really interested in the HE500 now. What are your overall impressions of them compared to HE400 and AKG K702 AE?

Engage YOLO mode and just make a spontaneous decision.

Troubling yourself any further is not likely to help.

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:52 AM Post #146 of 510
Quote:
HE500, by farrrrrrrr lol.

In my case / situation, I didn't think that the HE-500 appeared to have more deep / rumbling bass.  It might have been due to the better mids on the HE-500 and lower mids on the HE-400 that made the HE-400 appear that it had stronger bass.  Though, we are really comparing apples to oranges, were your tests both completed with your JergPad modification?

I've owned 2 pair of HE-500s, and 3 pair of HE-400s and have basically felt the same way in each comparison, each time around.

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #147 of 510
Quote:

I have the Annie's on loan right now and have been wanting to hear them for quite some time. Don't throw tomatoes at me cause I have to be honest here: compared to the he400 the Annie will seem bass light, mid-centric and dry to my ears. 
size]
 They do have wonderful mids which puts them in the same category as the hd6xx, but without the fun. The Annies did not work for me at all. 

They are super comfortable though if not weird looking. 

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #149 of 510
Quote:

I have the Annie's on loan right now and have been wanting to hear them for quite some time. Don't throw tomatoes at me cause I have to be honest here: compared to the he400 the Annie will seem bass light, mid-centric and dry to my ears. 
size]
 They do have wonderful mids which puts them in the same category as the hd6xx, but without the fun. The Annies did not work for me at all. 

I agree with the mid-centric and slightly dry part when compared to the HE400, but still a warm headphone overall.  The bass isn't that bad too me, it just lack the punch the HE400 has.  Overall I like the HE400 more due to it's image separation ability and it's tilt toward fun. 

Cheuh,

I haven't spent a whole lot of time with the HE500 yet to really make a bigger comment on them.  The HE400 bass to me seems to be the tighter of the two and have a tiny smudge more impact.  The HE500 bass to me seems to extend further and lingers a little bit longer.  The overall fuller sound of the HE500 might contribute to this, but I do think the HE500 bass is closer sounding to the D2000 with and addition of better texture/layering. 

Overall between the HE500 and the HE400,  I haven't quite figure out if me spending more money on them is actually worth it, this is me powering them with M/M stack.  The HE400 performs so well at it's pricing it making it harder for me to swallow the cost of the HE500 considering I also have to get a more powerful/expensive amp. 

another comment I can make is that it is definitely not worth owning both.  I will definitely sell one of them eventually.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #150 of 510
Quote:

size]

I wouldn't throw tomatoes at you.  After all, this is AKG we're talking about and they have a certain "house sound".  This is kind of why I never pushed more on the Anniversary Edition and didn't have much motivation to seek them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back