Hifiman He-400 or He-500?
Jul 24, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #106 of 510
Only problem is, I'd like to use amazon for their amazing return policy. If I for some reason happen to dislike them (maybe soundstage or not enough bass) then I'd like to be able to return them. This is pretty much what happened with the Dt880s that I had. Do the He500's have more bass impact than the dt880s?

I got an open box refurb with VERY minor blemishes (tiny scratches on the earcup arms) for $500 and something on Amazon Warehouse last year.

Jul 28, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #107 of 510
I'm quite curious to see how the LCD-2's compare to the He-500? Does anyone still have wood cracking problems with the rev2 (still not the angled connectors)? Or would I have to purchase one with angled connectors to be sure that it wont happen? Does the sound quality justify the increase in price and much more delicate build quality--that can be damaged VERY easily and must be taken care of very well?

Jul 28, 2013 at 10:06 PM Post #108 of 510
Just ordered the he500s! Should arrive on Wednesday!

Jul 29, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #109 of 510
Quote:
Just ordered the he500s! Should arrive on Wednesday!

Well, it took you long enough to decide 
size]
.  Honestly, I don't think you will be disappointed.  Gratz...

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #110 of 510
Well, it took you long enough to decide 
size]

.  Honestly, I don't think you will be disappointed.  Gratz...
Yeah it took me a while cause I was wondering if I should save up for the LCD 2 but decided I didn't want it because of the build issues and price. I sure hope I won't be disappointed, thanks for the help everyone! I will post my impressions when it's heard from a decent amp and dac.

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #112 of 510
Quote:
Good deal, I keep wondering if i should have bought the HE-500 instead of the HE-400....

Don't doubt yourself, or get buyer's remorse.  If you have a chance to attend a headphone meet in your area, I would encourage you to attend and you'll probably have a chance to hear the HE-500.  You might also want to bring along some of your music and your gear so you can power them with what you're familiar with to determine how they might compare or contrast with the HE-400.

Jul 29, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #113 of 510
Quote:

Don't doubt yourself, or get buyer's remorse.  If you have a chance to attend a headphone meet in your area, I would encourage you to attend and you'll probably have a chance to hear the HE-500.  You might also want to bring along some of your music and your gear so you can power them with what you're familiar with to determine how they might compare or contrast with the HE-400.

Yeah, just as I was staring to get into this crazy hobby there was an Atlanta meet and I had prior commitments, I was bummed.  I'll try and go to the next one for sure.

Jul 29, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #114 of 510
^^ The Atlanta meet was fantastic. Trav put it all together and made it possible to hear some incredible gear. That meet changed some things for me.

The Stax 007 on the Blue Hawaii amp changed my understanding of what reproduced music on hp's was capable of. I will forever compare every hp that I listen with to that Stax setup. 
size]

Plugging my MD's, he400 and hd650 into a Sansui vintage amps was completely eye opening to the world of vintage gear and what it can do for amping hp's. 

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #115 of 510
Quote:
Good deal, I keep wondering if i should have bought the HE-500 instead of the HE-400....

and then if you did get the HE500 you be wondering if you should of bought the LCD2 or the T1 or the HD800 or LCD3 or some stax etc.

that's how it works.
redface.gif

or scenerio two: you get the HE500 and wonder if you should of just stayed at the HE400 or equivalent.
wink.gif

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #116 of 510
Quote:

The Stax 007 on the Blue Hawaii amp changed my understanding of what reproduced music on hp's was capable of. I will forever compare every hp that I listen with to that Stax setup. 
size]

What was so different about the 007 with blue hawaii than the previous 007 setups you've heard?

Jul 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #117 of 510
Quote:
      and then if you did get the HE500 you be wondering if you should of bought the LCD2 or the T1 or the HD800 or LCD3 or some stax etc.

that's how it works.
redface.gif

or scenerio two: you get the HE500 and wonder if you should of just stayed at the HE400 or equivalent.
wink.gif

Haha! That's why I am SERIOUSLY considering getting a pair of LCD2 very soon! It sounds like what I like to hear sonic signature wise, as far as I can tell from comments and reviews.  I've never heard them....

I think I am hurting my ears listening to the HE-400! I listen at low to mid levels too! This morning my right ear has a bit of pain when listening now after a pretty long session yesterday with the HE-400.

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #118 of 510
Quote:

What was so different about the 007 with blue hawaii than the previous 007 setups you've heard?

In simplest terms, it was the startling realism of the Stax setup. It sounded more like listening to live music as anything I've ever heard, hp's or speakers. 

Jul 29, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #119 of 510
Quote:

In simplest terms, it was the startling realism of the Stax setup. It sounded more like listening to live music as anything I've ever heard, hp's or speakers. 

Please allow me to translate a bit more clearly regarding Matt's experience with this particular setup.  Upon entering the headphone meet, Matt's eyes were immediately attracted to the Stax / Blue Hawaii combination due to the sexy glow of the tubes.  Matt slowly made his way around the room, testing out the usual headphones - a few pair of self-modified Fostex headphones, some Grados and then eventually the Stax / Blue Hawaii station had opened up.  Matt leaped over to that station and made it into the listening chair before another individual could get a chance to listen to the combination.  Matt slowly placed the Stax headphones onto his head - enjoying the wonderful comfort that they offered.  Then he set up the source so he could play some music that he was familiar with while listening previously on other headphones in the past.  However, in that very moment of excitement due to all the sexiness of the Blue Hawaii amp, Matt accidentially drooled on the tubes and shorted the amp out.  There was a bit of a "sizzle" that blared through the Stax headphones as Matt had started the music track about 30 seconds prior.  In the end, it turned into a major disappointment for Matt as he had to pay $4,500 for the damages on the Blue Hawaii amp and he still didn't even own it.  Then, the repairs on the Stax headphones due to the "sizzle" that partially zapped the drivers ended up costing another $1,500.

In the end, it was actually a disappointing listening session for Matt as that simple, 30-second demo cost him $6,000. 
biggrin.gif

eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back