Hifiman He-400 or He-500?
Jul 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #151 of 510
Quote:

I agree with the mid-centric and slightly dry part when compared to the HE400, but still a warm headphone overall.  The bass isn't that bad too me, it just lack the punch the HE400 has.  Overall I like the HE400 more due to it's image separation ability and it's tilt toward fun. 

Cheuh,

I haven't spent a whole lot of time with the HE500 yet to really make a bigger comment on them.  The HE400 bass to me seems to be the tighter of the two and have a tiny smudge more impact.  The HE500 bass to me seems to extend further and lingers a little bit longer.  The overall fuller sound of the HE500 might contribute to this, but I do think the HE500 bass is closer sounding to the D2000 with and addition of better texture/layering. 

Overall between the HE500 and the HE400,  I haven't quite figure out if me spending more money on them is actually worth it, this is me powering them with M/M stack.  The HE400 performs so well at it's pricing it making it harder for me to swallow the cost of the HE500 considering I also have to get a more powerful/expensive amp. 

another comment I can make is that it is definitely not worth owning both.  I will definitely sell one of them eventually.

Don't get the HE-500 because you want a better headphone, get it because you want a different headphone. It might be worth owning both if you want them for the differing listening experience. If you really like the sound of the HE-400, you might think the HE-500 is a bit boring. Then again, you might love it. Won't know until you try. Sorry about your wallet.

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #152 of 510
I don't know, for me when I listen to them, it's like I'm dating two sisters of the same family that look the same. One is the older one, the other is younger(the older is prettier by the way :p.) . I can tell the he500 is the more audiophile one though, well at least I think so. The he500 sounds mor natural. I think I'll probable keep the he500 as I keep hearing people say I can keep scaling even beyond the lyr and of course what I have the magni. Overall I like the sound of the he500, but I didn't get a wow moment yet coming off the he400, just more of "humm this is good".

I probable need more time with it, probably have no more than ten hrs with them leaning to lesser.

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #153 of 510
Quote:
I don't know, for me when I listen to them, it's like I'm dating two sisters of the same family that look the same. One is the older one, the other is younger(the older is prettier by the way
tongue.gif
.) ....

Whoa ... that sounds pretty incestuous.  I never thought of headphone in that manner. 
tongue.gif

Jul 30, 2013 at 5:11 PM Post #154 of 510
:D

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #155 of 510
I currently have Shure750DJs. These headphones are V shaped/U shaped, so I would like something similar in the future. Would you guys consider HE-400s V/U shaped (emphasized lows and highs), and do they have a wide soundstage? Are they a bit bass heavy (which i would like) Also, would they be a huge upgrade from Shure 750 DJs? The 500s are way too expensive for me, so i'm not even considering those.

Also, how do these compare to other headphones in the same price range?

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #156 of 510
I currently have Shure750DJs. These headphones are V shaped/U shaped, so I would like something similar in the future. Would you guys consider HE-400s V/U shaped (emphasized lows and highs), and do they have a wide soundstage? Are they a bit bass heavy (which i would like) Also, would they be a huge upgrade from Shure 750 DJs? The 500s are way too expensive for me, so i'm not even considering those.

Also, how do these compare to other headphones in the same price range?

HE400 has pretty good sound stage but I would say the sound signature is v shaped. The mids are definitely recessed and highes can get quite fatiguing.

I think the he300 might have a bit wider soundstage than he400

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #157 of 510
Don't generalize the mids as a whole being recessed on the HE-400, it's definitely not true.  The lower-mid mids are more forward than neutral (partly because of upper mid dip) and upper mids are more recessed than neutral.

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #158 of 510
Don't generalize the mids as a whole being recessed on the HE-400, it's definitely not true.  The lower-mid mids are more forward than neutral (partly because of upper mid dip) and upper mids are more recessed than neutral.

Haha, sorry that was my noobie understanding and way of describing. To me the vocals on it sounds less forward than my other cans

Jul 30, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #159 of 510
I wonder how amazing the He-500 will be with some good dank.....

Jul 30, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #160 of 510
Quote:
I don't know, for me when I listen to them, it's like I'm dating two sisters of the same family that look the same. One is the older one, the other is younger(the older is prettier by the way
tongue.gif
.) . I can tell the he500 is the more audiophile one though, well at least I think so. The he500 sounds mor natural. I think I'll probable keep the he500 as I keep hearing people say I can keep scaling even beyond the lyr and of course what I have the magni. Overall I like the sound of the he500, but I didn't get a wow moment yet coming off the he400, just more of "humm this is good".

I probable need more time with it, probably have no more than ten hrs with them leaning to lesser.

When I got the HE-500, I was coming from the Q701. They are very different and at first I was not impressed with the HE-500 at all, but I kept listening to it. It took me a week or two to fully appreciate the HE-500. The Q701 has been lonely ever since 
biggrin.gif

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #161 of 510
Quote:

When I got the HE-500, I was coming from the Q701. They are very different and at first I was not impressed with the HE-500 at all, but I kept listening to it. It took me a week or two to fully appreciate the HE-500. The Q701 has been lonely ever since 
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the reassurance, I haven't given up on them yet.  Part of me giving the HE500 a hard time might be because I have been really tired lately when listening to them and my mind have been somewhere else.  Plus, I have high expectation of them which I'm slowing learning what to expect. 

I will have to say though, my biggest appreciation of the HE500 is that female singers are just as good as male singers (HE400 female singers can be harsh on high notes on some songs and yes I don't EQ), the bass is really good, less noticable finger print on cups compare to HE400, and it still maintain the good HE400 image separation.  Oh lastly, people probable won't agree with me, but I like the HE500 cables more than the HE400.  It's thinner, lighter, and more manageable.  The HE400 cables I always feel like I have to wrestle with them to get them into the bag that I keep them in, the cable is just too thick and stiff.

I also appreciate opening the fake leather box they give out
biggrin.gif
my first box and I'm loving it.  I'm a sucker for these type of stuff, I still put them in and out of them, feels like opening a gift. 

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #162 of 510
Quote:
  Thanks for the reassurance, I haven't given up on them yet.  Part of me giving the HE500 a hard time might be because I have been really tired lately when listening to them and my mind have been somewhere else.  Plus, I have high expectation of them which I'm slowing learning what to expect. 

I will have to say though, my biggest appreciation of the HE500 is that female singers are just as good as male singers (HE400 female singers can be harsh on high notes on some songs and yes I don't EQ), the bass is really good, less noticable finger print on cups compare to HE400, and it still maintain the good HE400 image separation.  Oh lastly, people probable won't agree with me, but I like the HE500 cables more than the HE400.  It's thinner, lighter, and more manageable.  The HE400 cables I always feel like I have to wrestle with them to get them into the bag that I keep them in, the cable is just too thick and stiff.

I also appreciate opening the fake leather box they give out
biggrin.gif
my first box and I'm loving it.  I'm a sucker for these type of stuff, I still put them in and out of them, feels like opening a gift. 

Are you one of the first-batchers for the Modulor Jergpads?

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #163 of 510
nope, I'm probably going to jump in on the second batch. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #164 of 510
hows the he500 vs the koss esp950?.... and how does the fiio e12 power the he500?

Jul 31, 2013 at 7:43 AM Post #165 of 510
I say that the he500 needs more than the e12 delivers. If you really need a portable there are better choices IMO. 

You can check with MLE on the esp950...he owned it briefly. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back