**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jul 19, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #11,401 of 22,116
Quote:
Would you recommend Forza Audioworks as a company?  Let me know how this cable works out for you and the impact on the sound.

Yes, I would recommend him.Found him off of ebay.
My change of cable was to get better XLR connectors, more flexible cable, shorter cable and the clear cover is nice too. The SQ will not change I think, it was not my main focus when buying the cable but if it did, then it's a bonus.

Jul 19, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #11,403 of 22,116
Quote:
@Beaver: Hi do u happen to have the treble fixer for foobar?

Yes I do but it uses the Electri-Q plugin, it's much better than foobar's built in equalizer. To set up Electri-Q in foobar you'll need a VST wrapper.

If you need any help setting it up let me know.

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #11,405 of 22,116
Mine finally got here today, giving them a couple hour burn before serious listening, when I plugged them in with a cold amp I did listen to a little bit of 3 or 4 tracks.  I've been listening to the RE-400 Waterline that I also got today in the mean time while I let the HE-400 cook a little, pretty amazing sound for $99! I decided to get a pair of HE-400 and a pair of RE-400 instead of buying Sennheiser HD650!

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #11,406 of 22,116
Very nice and congrats!! Shout out to a fellow Atlantan...
size]

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #11,407 of 22,116
Quote:
Very nice and congrats!! Shout out to a fellow Atlantan...
size]

Thanks man! Thanks for the advice on the velour pads from the first page of this thread.  I just started listening and changed from the pleather and heard an immediate change in the sound for the better! I made sure to order them straight away with the headphones.  I wonder if I can get a pair of the memory foam ones from the AKG K702 65th Anniv on these cans? Those memory foam pads are the bomb...

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #11,408 of 22,116
What are you running the 400 and k702 from?

Jul 19, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #11,409 of 22,116
Quote:

I am running the HE-400 with the Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 with some Reflektor 6N23P-EB tubes in it off of an AudioQuest Dragon Fly hooked up with a really good mini to RCA Kimber Kable that costs as much as the headphones do! Also, I have been listening to the K702  on the Schiit Audio Valhalla and REALLY enjoying that combo! It shouldn't sound great, but it does, so i am sticking with it! I've got an NAD CD player or sometimes I switch to a NAD SACD/DVD-Audio Player in that system hooked up with another nice set of  Kimber Kable and it runs off a dedicated power conditioner with a massive Tiff aftermarket power cord. Those are my 2 dedicated systems right now...I may end up with an Asgard 2 also that could be used with either one of these headphones. 

Jul 20, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #11,410 of 22,116
Quote:
Quote:

I am running the HE-400 with the Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 with some Reflektor 6N23P-EB tubes in it off of an AudioQuest Dragon Fly hooked up with a really good mini to RCA Kimber Kable that costs as much as the headphones do! Also, I have been listening to the K702  on the Schiit Audio Valhalla and REALLY enjoying that combo! It shouldn't sound great, but it does, so i am sticking with it! I've got an NAD CD player or sometimes I switch to a NAD SACD/DVD-Audio Player in that system hooked up with another nice set of  Kimber Kable and it runs off a dedicated power conditioner with a massive Tiff aftermarket power cord. Those are my 2 dedicated systems right now...I may end up with an Asgard 2 also that could be used with either one of these headphones. 

I wouldn't say either amps are optimal for those headphones. But ofc I haven't heard it... How do you think Valhalla with HE-400 compares to the x-can?

Jul 20, 2013 at 7:47 AM Post #11,411 of 22,116
I wouldn't say either amps are optimal for those headphones. But ofc I haven't heard it... How do you think Valhalla with HE-400 compares to the x-can?

As per the FAQ on the Schiit Valhalla page, the OTL amps are no good for Orthos, so I havent even tried it, never will probably. As far as the Musical Fidelity X-Can v2 goes, that's a pretty bad ass amp, it's a Class A tube hybrid that effortlessly drives most anything. It's not quite flavor of the month anymore, but it's still pretty damn good. I picked it up for $150 used and after adding the new(old!) tubes I'm quite happy with it on either set of cans.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:45 AM Post #11,412 of 22,116
Ah, maybe the X-Can v2 is NOT such a great match for the HE-400.  I've been a little underwhelmed by the sub bass in the HE-400 after reading so much about how great it is. So, I plugged the K702-65 into the X-Can after listening to the HE-400 all morning (must have about 6 or so hours on the HE-400 already) and the Annies SMOKED 'em on the low bass.  I was using the Daft Punk track "Doin' it Right" off of random Access Memories and the AKG won easily as far as extension and weight goes. 

So, I was like "how can this be?".  I looked up the impedance specs for the X-Can and the HE-400 and it looks like a bad match maybe?

HE-400 - 35 ohm impedance, 92.5 db efficency
K702 65th Anniv - 62 ohm impedance, 105 db efficency

X-Can V2 reported output impedance - 33 ohm

Here is a sample of a review I found that is a good description for the sound of the X-Can v2

[size=x-small]The Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 boasts a completely new circuit design that results in further developing the highly rated Nu-Vista preamp. Musical Fidelity claims the result is a fuller, more detailed sound and the V2 is able to drive the most difficult headphone load with ease. The new X-Can V2 delivers. What strikes is a greater clarity and resolution on offer compared with the original design, along with the way the presentation loses much of the unwanted 'in-head' feel. There's a ton of timbre and texture to be enjoyed, while the tonal balance has a correctness reviewers find hard to fault. The X-Can V2 sounds glorious, large in soundstage and delicate when need be. It has amazingly fast and strong bass which delivers exciting, upbeat and balanced sound to the listening ear. The Musical Fidelity X-Can V2 also gives a dynamic, crisp, and with proper tubes, a warm presentation with great imaging, space and dimension. The sheer separation between voices and instruments is so pronounced that listeners never left feeling short changed. Match the X-Can V2 with headphones like the Sennheiser HD-600 and for most listeners, they end their search for audio bliss.[/size]

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #11,413 of 22,116
33 output impedance?  That's horrible.  I can't comment on the X-Can V2 or the K702AE, but the HE-400 has virtually no thd in its bass, so it won't give you more bass than the record itself has.  It's a prime example of mirroring exactly what's in the recording.

The RAM song itself bass isn't terribly strong, but I can sense a couple parts spread throughout the snog where the bass drops pretty low (around :38 for example).  Everything else seems to be a bunch of 50-60hz monotones.

Jul 20, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #11,414 of 22,116
Quote:
33 output impedance?  That's horrible.  I can't comment on the X-Can V2 or the K702AE, but the HE-400 has virtually no thd in its bass, so it won't give you more bass than the record itself has.  It's a prime example of mirroring exactly what's in the recording.

Yeah I know...

So, I really don't have anything else that can/should be used with the HE-400 as far as an amp goes so I hooked directly to the DragonFly and we now have good low bass.  Now some other things suffered, but overall the bass is MUCH better. DragonFly output impedance is rated at - 12 ohms

Users who are viewing this thread

Back