**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 11, 2013 at 8:28 AM Post #10,906 of 22,116
Quote:
Has anybody experience with HE-400 custom cables like BTG, plussound, double helix, and toxic? Does the sound change/benefit from custom cables at all?

Can't hear a difference on my cable. Not that I care for it..

Jun 12, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #10,907 of 22,116
First off, this thread has an amazingly ample amount of information about these headphones, ha.

My question is. . .can anyone comment as to the similarity/differences between the HiFiMAN velour pads and the K601 stock pads?  I only ask as I have a pair of stock K601 pads sitting around and have been hot swapping them on the HE-400's to test the differences in how they sound.  I am mainly curious as to the thickness and stiffness comparing the two sets of pads (K601 to HFM velours).

Thanks in advance. . .

Jun 14, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #10,908 of 22,116
My own experience with the HE-400 is well described by MattTCGs comment above - tizzy treble - though I wouldn't necessarily have described it that way until I saw those words.

My perception was that there was almost a reverb effect in the treble and that they were very quickly fatiguing.

This was after switching to the velour pads.

I did find them very comfortable to wear (small head, large ears).

Jun 14, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #10,909 of 22,116
New to the club; received my pair yesterday. Listening to the FLAC of Marley's Legend is exquisite, a nuanced reference disk if there is one.

Mingus Ah Um sounds smooth as well, much better than it would've on my old Audio Technica AD900.

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #10,910 of 22,116
Nice littlexsparkee,will have to get that Marley album , What amp are you running it through ?

Does anyone know what size the screw is that holds the cups to the arms so I can maybe order it off of ebay ?
I shredded one with a cheap Chinese screwdriver. I tried a local hardware store (biggest in my locale) and could not find one that small.....
Here it is....

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:54 AM Post #10,911 of 22,116
Holy ****.

I just tightened the cable harder than I used to do on the HE-400. Gone is the interference/slopiness/resonance that was heard in the high frequency range.

It feels like I just bought an upgrade to my old HE-400's. :D Sublime

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #10,912 of 22,116
Quote:
Holy ****.

I just tightened the cable harder than I used to do on the HE-400. Gone is the interference/slopiness/resonance that was heard in the high frequency range.

Yes, no idea why they chose those cables.They should stop using them in the next version. I'm switching mine over to XLR.

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #10,913 of 22,116
Quote:
Yes, no idea why they chose those cables.They should stop using them in the next version. I'm switching mine over to XLR.

Dude you're like the king of custom mods for headphones. Custom headband, custom earpads, custom grill and metal cup holder color, wooden cups, and now custom cable connection. I'd be very interested to see how it turns out when finished.

Jun 14, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #10,914 of 22,116
Quote:

Dude you're like the king of custom mods for headphones. Custom headband, custom earpads, custom grill and metal cup holder color, wooden cups, and now custom cable connection. I'd be very interested to see how it turns out when finished.

I'm trying out these cables with XLR's. Forza Audioworks from Europe. I'm avoiding silver cables like the plague with a "bright-already-can".
My experience with silver cables on speakers was that it made things more defined/instruments separation much more BUT icier and bitey in the treble region....even though people say it is listener expectation bias, I don't know, to me there was a drastic change in sound on my Mission speakers...

Jun 14, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #10,916 of 22,116
Quote:
Holy ****.

Interesting feedback - if I still had my HE-400s I would love t try that - I was tightening them myself with moderate finger pressure. Unfortunately, I don't due to aforementioned high frequency range issues.

Seriously, is there anything at all redeeming about those connectors? They must have used them for some reason - I just have no idea what it could be.

Jun 14, 2013 at 8:17 AM Post #10,917 of 22,116
Quote:
New to the club; received my pair yesterday. Listening to the FLAC of Marley's Legend is exquisite, a nuanced reference disk if there is one.

Mingus Ah Um sounds smooth as well, much better than it would've on my old Audio Technica AD900.

Welcome to the club. Your first assignment...read this thread in it's entirety. 
size]

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #10,920 of 22,116
Quote:
I'm trying out these cables with XLR's. Forza Audioworks from Europe. I'm avoiding silver cables like the plague with a "bright-already-can".
My experience with silver cables on speakers was that it made things more defined/instruments separation much more BUT icier and bitey in the treble region....even though people say it is listener expectation bias, I don't know, to me there was a drastic change in sound on my Mission speakers...

Does it then stand to reason that silver only cables can help cans like the LCD 2.2 ? I don't know the first thing about cables (using pretty much the stock cables) 

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back