**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 2, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #10,831 of 22,116
There is a guy selling he400 on the used forum. In his add he mentions that he's willing to make a pair. Not sure if he'd do it for you, but can't hurt to ask. 

Jun 2, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #10,832 of 22,116
That would be me, actually.  I'm about to do up a pair soon actually because I've had some interest, so I can post some pictures when it's done. jerg gave me the OK to do some up for people if they're interested.  I'll send you a PM with details, earphiler. 
cool.gif

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #10,833 of 22,116
Quote:
That would be me, actually.  I'm about to do up a pair soon actually because I've had some interest, so I can post some pictures when it's done. jerg gave me the OK to do some up for people if they're interested.  I'll send you a PM with details, earphiler. 
cool.gif

Uh-uh I gave only you a conditional OK 
cool.gif
, invalid until I've seen how you've done each step and critiqued them if needed be.

Jun 2, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #10,834 of 22,116
Quote:
cool.gif

I'd be VERY interested. Put me first on the list. I'd buy even two at once, since I'm getting a HE-500.

By the way Jerg, I remember you took the fabric off on your early pads... if I'm not mistaken, you stopped doing it for some reason, right?

I'm asking because I don't want to take any dust protection off the HE-500, since you said its diaphragm is dust sensitive.

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:20 AM Post #10,836 of 22,116
Quote:
I'd be VERY interested. Put me first on the list. I'd buy even two at once, since I'm getting a HE-500.

By the way Jerg, I remember you took the fabric off on your early pads... if I'm not mistaken, you stopped doing it for some reason, right?

I'm asking because I don't want to take any dust protection off the HE-500, since you said its diaphragm is dust sensitive.

Yeh. I find that the "muddy treble" problem with pleathers can be completely solved simply from cutting the holes, so the dust screens don't need to be touched.

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #10,837 of 22,116
Quote:
Uh-uh I gave only you a conditional OK 
cool.gif
, invalid until I've seen how you've done each step and critiqued them if needed be.

Understandable, I'll make sure to note that it's preliminary for those interested until I provide pictures and proof I can perform the mod properly.  I will work on this tonight and will forward you the pictures.  Sorry, I didn't mean to jump the gun, but there is a good bit of interest! 
tongue.gif

Jun 3, 2013 at 1:25 PM Post #10,838 of 22,116
Quote:
Understandable, I'll make sure to note that it's preliminary for those interested until I provide pictures and proof I can perform the mod properly.  I will work on this tonight and will forward you the pictures.  Sorry, I didn't mean to jump the gun, but there is a good bit of interest! 
tongue.gif

What would be a price per pair (w/o shipping)?

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #10,840 of 22,116
Hey guys, 
Bought the HE400 based on the impressions of the folks here.
Must say it's a serious improvement from my Audio Technica ATH-M50 (which I love).
Great spereration of instruments and much bigger stage.

Two questions:
1. when connecting directly to PC/Iphone without amp, I turn the volume all the way up and it's still not loud enough. I don't usually listen in very high volumes. I thought the HE400 was supposed to be extremly efficient. 
BTW - when listeneing with my stereo amp I can amplify it to decent level.
2. I need a dac, and I love tube sound. What do you say about HE400 and AUNE T1 combo?

Thanks.

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #10,841 of 22,116
Quote:
Hey guys, 
Must say it's a serious improvement from my Audio Technica ATH-M50 (which I love).

Two questions:
1. when connecting directly to PC/Iphone without amp, I turn the volume all the way up and it's still not loud enough. I don't usually listen in very high volumes. I thought the HE400 was supposed to be extremly efficient. 
2. I need a dac, and I love tube sound. What do you say about HE400 and AUNE T1 combo?

Thanks.

While the driver is only 35 ohm, planar magnetic headphones require much more power. They can be played out of a iPod or computer but if you can't get them loud enough, you need an amp.

Jun 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #10,842 of 22,116
Hey guys, 

Two questions:

Thanks.

On 1, the HE 400 needs an amp, period.
2. No experience with the Aune but The Bifrost sounds great.

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #10,843 of 22,116
the Aune is a dac/amp combo. not sure op wants to spend $250 on just the dac

Jun 5, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #10,845 of 22,116
I use  mine with my TubeMagic A1/D1 Plus combo. Honestly, I would recommend the D1 Plus for a starter DAC. However, don't be tempted to upgrade the tube in it because the tube is completely out of the headphone jack circuit. It's only purpose is for the "Tube Pre Out" on the back to plug into an amp. As far as sound differences go, the A1 is more detailed and warm sounding.

Point is, the D1/D1 Plus are purely solidstate if you are using the headphone jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back