**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jun 6, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #10,846 of 22,116
Have a pair of HE-400's and they are great for many things. I'm wondering what the next step up is, or what pair of headphones (without mods) are just as great but without the known flaws- bright treble and vocal sibilance. HD650? Hopefully Jerg has some thoughts on this also. Thanks

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #10,847 of 22,116
Quote:
Have a pair of HE-400's and they are great for many things. I'm wondering what the next step up is, or what pair of headphones (without mods) are just as great but without the known flaws- bright treble and vocal sibilance. HD650? Hopefully Jerg has some thoughts on this also. Thanks

Have you made the Jerg pads? They definitely help the sibilance issue (that or my brain is finally succumbing to the sibilance).

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #10,848 of 22,116
Quote:
Have you made the Jerg pads? They definitely help the sibilance issue (that or my brain is finally succumbing to the sibilance).

For me jergpads help with the sibilants, but only slightly. It was still too much for me so I use EQ as well.

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:50 AM Post #10,851 of 22,116
Quote:
I only listen to cd's and was wondering if purchasing an EQ would be easier and more effective than upgrading to new headphones. I'm hesitant to add in additional processing.

Hmm I don't see why not, you can remove the sibilants completely with some EQ. A hardware EQ shouldn't bring in much additional processing, i think, well I would think it's less disruptive than software EQ.

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #10,852 of 22,116
That's a curious point, actually. I haven't thought too much about sound decks or hardware EQ's but it definitely intrigues me now that you say it. I'm guessing you aren't using a computer at all then? Just a CD player?

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #10,854 of 22,116
Hmm I don't see why not, you can remove the sibilants completely with some EQ. A hardware EQ shouldn't bring in much additional processing, i think, well I would think it's less disruptive than software EQ.
Removing the sibilance sounds like a great reason to get an EQ. Thanks for this idea. These headphones are almost perfect except for a couple flaws.

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #10,855 of 22,116
EQ'ing them with some hardware will be more disruptive than EQ'ing with software, since the hardware EQ would be analog.

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #10,857 of 22,116
Depends on how many bands of frequency you can play with on the EQ.  Rolling down 8-10khz onward isn't that compromising.  Anything that deals with upper and lower mids can be tricky because timbre of many things resides in the mids.  The frequency extremes are not as complicated.

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:51 PM Post #10,858 of 22,116
Quote:
EQ'ing them with some hardware will be more disruptive than EQ'ing with software, since the hardware EQ would be analog.

So I take it digital hardware EQs don't exist?

Quote:
Removing the sibilance sounds like a great reason to get an EQ. Thanks for this idea. These headphones are almost perfect except for a couple flaws.

Yeah I really dig their sound sig, possibly even end game with the sibilants EQ mod. I feel absolutely no need to upgrade at this point in time.

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #10,859 of 22,116
Quote:

So I take it digital hardware EQs don't exist?

If you can get digital out from the cd player it probably does... But then the digital hardware eq would need to have a built in DAC, or he'd have to get a DAC and a hardware eq... Then he'd probably be better off with another headphone..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back