**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 28, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #10,202 of 22,116
Quote:
Audio-GD SA-31.
biggrin.gif

10watts to the HE-400, and 1.4watts to the HD650 Diamond differential...

Owned it, loved it, but I needed a volume knob so I sold it and downgraded to a Compass 2.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/SA/SA31/SA31EN_Specs.htm

I really want a volume knob as well. I also have never had a tube and I am very interested in one. The problem with the lyr is that it doesn't mute the outputs when you plug in headphones. The asgard 2 does, I believe.

Apr 29, 2013 at 12:17 AM Post #10,203 of 22,116
Thanks to everyone who answered (or theorized on
tongue.gif
) my question earlier about the "twaack". I suspected it was harmless since like I said before I had heard it before and it didn't seem to harm the headphone, but I had it in fairly quick succession right before I made my inquiry and it *seemed* like there was a change in sound signature, though that was probably more because it was nearly 4 in the morning then.
ph34r.gif

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:20 AM Post #10,206 of 22,116
Quote:

Nah no way it's clipping. It's not sound being produced by the driver, it sounds like someone is tapping the headphone while you're wearing it. We had a discussion about this not too long ago, I think someone referred to it as a "twaack".

I heard many weird clips twack and stuff from the HE-400 but mostly come from the construction tiself of the headphone (so far nothing to worry about).

I think some parts are slightly smaller than exact fit , and they tend to move enought to produce sounds (the grills on the outside are an example).

I dont know about other people, but i have spent 5 months using those outdoors and so far i havent had any issue with them.

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:34 AM Post #10,207 of 22,116
Quote:
can the he-400 handle 10 watts with volume control? was looking at emotiva not too long ago

I got the asgard 1 (same power as asgard 2), and if i max the volume on it on the HE-400 the volume induces PAIN.
I dont think it damages the HE-400, but i hardly even pass the 60% mark on volume.
Perhaps for the HE-500 id like something within the 4-10 Watt range, but for the HE-400 asgard is definitly enought.

What im trying to say is that perhaps the sound signature might sound better on another amp, but i doubt more power brings more quality.

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #10,208 of 22,116
Does anyone know which of these 2 amps would be best for the HFM-400's ?

Matrix M-Stage with  Burr Brown OPA627BP with Class A Biasing Mod upgrade
or
Audinst HUD-mx2 Hi-Fi USB Audio DAC

Similar price range.

Apr 29, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #10,209 of 22,116
Quote:

Nah no way it's clipping. It's not sound being produced by the driver, it sounds like someone is tapping the headphone while you're wearing it. We had a discussion about this not too long ago, I think someone referred to it as a "twaack".

Guys, you can thank me for making up the description called "twaack".  It bothers me still, as hear this on the odd occassion.
I'm digging the HE-400 with pad-fi mod using J$ and nylons...
L3000.gif
 Makes me wonder why I kept the pleathers for so long. Must have been stupid.

Some will say this is a placebo effect - but I know better.
biggrin.gif

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #10,211 of 22,116

or

Similar price range.

I have the m-stage without biasing and it sounded great with the he-400. never had to pass 50% with 10db gain setting but that's me

Apr 29, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #10,213 of 22,116
Quote:

or

Similar price range.

The M Stage is a good pairing. I haven't heard the Audinst.

Apr 29, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #10,214 of 22,116
MLE, you had to do this:mad: . Alright, what DAC goes well with this ?

I just paired it up with the ODAC and Modi. If you want to be more serious, Audio-GD does sell their own dacs, including a diamond difference design dac to match with the SA-31, but it's pretty expensive. The NFB 2 or 3 are two dacs in the same ballpark as the SA-31, if you care about matching components.

Apr 29, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #10,215 of 22,116
Another vote for the M-stage, very nice pairing. I haven't changed out the opamp yet though, I like the stock sound sig anyway so I don't feel the need change it, but I doubt you're going to hear any significant changes. I hear they also run hotter with class-a mods, bad idea in the summer. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back