**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 26, 2013 at 5:21 AM Post #10,111 of 22,116
Quote:
That was referring to the Kingsound Emperor. It was just released for pre-order at Moon Audio. The amp is also from Kingsound. M10. That is the price for the amp NEW. Both of these items haven't been released yet.

Great, I can add some electrostats and that amp to my wallet decimation list !

Apr 26, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #10,112 of 22,116
Quote:
Great, I can add some electrostats and that amp to my wallet decimation list !

MN, join the line. I've done the pre-order, now my wallet is at Walletcon 2, the next level being Chapter 11.
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #10,113 of 22,116
Quote:
Burn-in does exist, as Tyll has proven in a blind test.
I've had a lot of success with burn-in with dynamic and even BA phones (I wasn't listening during burn-in, so it's not mental), but may be planar magnetics are as good  as they get out of the box?

I saw that test, wouldn't exactly call it an actually scientific test. What he tested were two different headphones of the same type. Now there will always be deviation between headphones, even when they are of the same design.
And it was a dynamic headphone, planar headphones should have less (or none) burnin than dynamics.

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #10,114 of 22,116
Quote:
I saw that test, wouldn't exactly call it an actually scientific test. What he tested were two different headphones of the same type. Now there will always be deviation between headphones, even when they are of the same design.
And it was a dynamic headphone, planar headphones should have less (or none) burnin than dynamics.

Or more. There is no evidence pointing either way.

Apr 26, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #10,115 of 22,116
Apr 26, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #10,116 of 22,116
Quote:
Or more. There is no evidence pointing either way.

Well there are less known cases of burn-in in orthodynamic headphones. Which counts as eyewitness accounts, which doesn't count for anything in science. So you're right.
Tyll did measure the supposed burn-in between the two models, one was burned in while the other was brand new.
There was a slight difference in the measurements, but this deviation could have been caused by the slight misplacement on of the headphone on the dummies head, slight deviatons during the production process of the headphones or it was actually caused by burn-in. 
I personally suspect all three of them are true. However burn-in should never ever transform the performances of a headphone, if it would it would equally change over time. Why would a headphone change radically in sound the first 100 hours, but stop changing at its peak in SQ?

/rant

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #10,117 of 22,116
Some cold, hard, truth. Thank you for the honesty, and not letting placebo rule your impression. First time on this thread where a new pad didn't blow the prior pads away.

Funny thing is you immediately side towards the negative based on one opinion and completely disregard the positive based on one opinion, without trying it yourself. I still have them, I still stand by my statements. I was right about the muddiness aspect though :) though I dont hear it in the vocal. Just more so that the subbass is more prominent. It's like the K702 Annies. Granted, a lot more people can attest to that since so many people tried it, but apparently memory foam pads magically fix the ambience of the bass. Im sure placebo takes no part in this for me as I essentially got the HE400 + Alpha Pads for $410, whereas I was willing to spend up to $500ish for a headphone to use at home for now. Not including the fact that they retail new for $400.

I re-ABd velours vs Alpha Pads and I still like the Alpha Pads better in every regard (asides from bass impact), especially comfort and slightly more prominent, but still recessed female vocals, and they dont fatigue me at all anymore. Whether that be due to the increased comfort (no absurd jaw clamp with the hard velours, though personally I always thought vekours were too hard) or decreased treble, I dont know. YMMV.

Also to the placebo aspect; Ive had these for like a month now. Im pretty sure any effects of owning a new toy would have worn off by now, if they were ever there in the beginning.

And I mean everything is relative. People have their own preferences. I read on your thread ad700s were great for gaming. Personally, they were beyond crap. The soundstage made absolutely no sense in itself; things werent fading into the distance correctly, and I do believe fade is a large aspect in determining positioning. The sound was overly bright and annoying, and the headphone itself literally fatigued me within 5 minutes due to how uncomfortable the pads are, with music off. With it on, probably 3 min max. Yet people can attest that theyre godly comfortable. Not my thing. And like your Annies vs LCD2; personally, I can't believe that yet i have not tried it (yet), but apparently if you say it so then it must be so where everyone else's opinions are completely wrong and have to be disregarded if they do not side with you.

It may sound weird/off to marleybob, but for me, coming from the ES3X, it fits my sound preferences much better than with velours.

Apr 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #10,118 of 22,116
Some notes on the alpha pads, which might be usefull for other alpha pads users, or people that hate the treble boost of the HE-400.

I've found that stuffing a bunch of open cell acoustic foam slices underneath the sides of the pads increases damping. And decreases the bass quantity and makes the mids a bit more clear. Some other damping materials might help these pads even further. Any suggestions on sound absorbing materials?
These pads are still incredibly bass heavy and dark sounding, but not necessarily in a bad way. You do lose shimmer-air-detail-uppermids compaired to the J$s and jergs but if you relentlessly hate the treble and want more bass these pads aren't bad. 

Apr 26, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #10,119 of 22,116
Apr 26, 2013 at 12:21 PM Post #10,120 of 22,116
Hey guys, I decided to leave the preconception aside and do some EQ. Please rate my EQ curve.

It's a little ugly(that's what I could do with my skills) but I've been liking the results so far. Tamed that wild treble while maintaning some clarity. Any suggestions for improvement are welcome.

edit. After some more listening, I noticed some distortion on certain tracks. It seems it's not a good idea raising the 2-6khz region.

Apr 26, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #10,121 of 22,116
For my graduation, I'm thinking of getting myself a pair of headphones as a gift. I'm a bit of a basshead and I want something that'll serve as a counterpoint to my HD 600s and I'm vacillating between the Mad Dogs and the HE-400. Does anyone here have experience with both of them and can do a comparison?

As far as I can tell from my own research, the general consensus is that the HE-400 is better but is the $100 difference between the two justified?

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:16 PM Post #10,122 of 22,116
Quote:
For my graduation, I'm thinking of getting myself a pair of headphones as a gift. I'm a bit of a basshead and I want something that'll serve as a counterpoint to my HD 600s and I'm vacillating between the Mad Dogs and the HE-400. Does anyone here have experience with both of them and can do a comparison?

As far as I can tell from my own research, the general consensus is that the HE-400 is better but is the $100 difference between the two justified?

I would not say the HE-400 is "better", but for your needs (owning the HD600, bass) I would definitely choose the HE-400 over the Mad Dogs. The Mad Dogs(better but similar sound signature to the HD600) are more balanced and warm then the HE-400 but as a complimentary can the HE-400 should serve your bass-head cravings well.

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #10,123 of 22,116
Has anyone listened to these and the V-Moda M-100s? I understand that they're radically different headphones, but for a wide range in music tastes, I am wondering if these would be better for more genres. I've been reading this thread for a while, but with 676 pages and counting, it's hard to wade through.

Apr 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #10,124 of 22,116
Quote:
Has anyone listened to these and the V-Moda M-100s? I understand that they're radically different headphones, but for a wide range in music tastes, I am wondering if these would be better for more genres. I've been reading this thread for a while, but with 676 pages and counting, it's hard to wade through.

I don't think these headphones would even be in the same league regarding sound quality. the M-100s are 'fun' sounding closed headphones, but I don't think they come close to the technical capabilities of the HE-400.

Apr 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #10,125 of 22,116
Quote:
I would not say the HE-400 is "better", but for your needs (owning the HD600, bass) I would definitely choose the HE-400 over the Mad Dogs. The Mad Dogs(better but similar sound signature to the HD600) are more balanced and warm then the HE-400 but as a complimentary can the HE-400 should serve your bass-head cravings well.

Sweet. And thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back