Rev 2 is the white driver
Rev 3 is sandy brown
Rev 4 is clear
Rev 5 is clear with beyerdynamic j money pads
Rev 6 is clear with jerg pads
Rev 7 is cear with mad-dog alpha pads

Yeah....YEAH! THAT'S WHAT I MEANT!

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #9,698 of 22,116
So anyone want my headphones for $330 + Shipping? They are in great condition, have jerg pads (Mods 1&2) and regular pleather pads, also, I'll include the Beyer headband if you want it. :wink: The reason I'm selling is I'm moving to speakers... :D

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #9,699 of 22,116
Quote:
I wasn't actually directing the question to you solely raven, but yeah alpha pads sure look better. Hopefully someone who has both pads can chime in.

In comparison from velours to Alpha Pads:

Alpha Pads have:
a larger soundstage (width and depth, or its more realistic and could retain the same width and depth idk I'll test that again when my pair comes back on Monday)

more forward mids (female vocals sound more intimate and less raspy/throaty as do male vocals, though male vocals hardly lacked. Overall also more realistic. Has to my favorite part of vocal trance songs so this is what I usually compare to / base pads on the most)

less prominent mid-bass but more prominent sub-bass (though hard to test really for sub-bass. sounds a bit muddier, though not muddy in the sense that it bleeds into the vocals / treble. more like because there's more rumble, in more intense parts of sounds it sounds like there's too much going on. I haven't directly tested that with velours though. Mid-bass is definitely less prominent as it has less impact than my ES3X, whereas with velours it had more).

treble is a lot less sibilant (IMO. I personally hate over-bright treble) and cymbals / hi-hats sound more realistic (decay-wise, sounds like I'm essentially inside the room. Also the less prominent treble made them ring less / have a less raspy sound)

Comfort SKYROCKETS. Velours clamped on my jaw too much. With the beyer headband I wore it for a few hours without problem (occasionally the only problem is heat, but I have that problem with all headphones so I use a fan. Works better too because they aren't closed so the fan can actually cool my ears off.

I'll make some jergpads (again, when my pair comes back) and test.

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #9,700 of 22,116
Quote:
Hmmm - well, anyone else have the current edition?  

I had the last one and went back for return due to blown channel, and the replacements are the current generation (afaik - with manual and 3 yr warranty).

The highs are much tamer as far as I can tell, but wanted to check to see if anyone else can confirm.  I only have about 30 hours on them but my last pair seemed way hot to begin with and then tamed down.  I had the EQ set down a bit at 8k to keep my ears from bleeding, but that was a defective pair, but I'm not the only one that thinks these are hot phones.  That said, I reset my eq and I could contemplate ticking it up a hair on the higher end.

Well, trying to actually see if anyone else has found the same to be true... you pad folks.. so silly... 
etysmile.gif

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #9,701 of 22,116
Can't wait for the Stax pads review. I bet it will once again be superior to all pads.

Every single new pad tested has automatically become better than the pads before it.

It's magic.

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #9,702 of 22,116
Quote:
Can't wait for the Stax pads review. I bet it will once again be superior to all pads.

Every single new pad tested has automatically become better than the pads before it.

It's magic.

YMMV. Don't have to be anal about it.

I personally like Alpha Pads better because I indeed do notice better vocals, which is what I prefer more, though I do like my bass. Trade-offs for me. It also doesn't attempt to take my jaw through a compressing machine. If you don't believe it, don't comment without trying. It's like how I don't believe in cable differences and I don't comment on those. I haven't tried after-market cables though. Nor do I believe in differences in amps / DACs above ridiculous price points, though then again I haven't tried those either but am satisfied with my E9 / probably soon to be M&M combo. Get my point?

Everything in here is relative and by experience, like everyone says. And that is my experience.

Apr 13, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #9,703 of 22,116
Point I'm trying to make is that the jump from pad to pad has always been beneficial on this thread with very little factual evidence. Things are getting a bit hyperbolic with the pad-fi here, and I'd be careful with these statements, as it DOES cost money to test all this out. J$ pads weren't cheap, nor are the Alpha pads. People are being suckered into trying every new magical pad that magically fixes all the imperfections that everyone has issues with. Pretty soon, the cost of trying these pads are gonna cost more than what they paid for the actual headphones.

Just be realistic, and just TRY not to let expectation bias run your testing, because that's what it's been sounding like for quite a while.

Apr 13, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #9,704 of 22,116
There's no substitute for cc's... much more interested in drivers than the pads around your ears... unless someone is willing to ABX it...

Apr 13, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #9,705 of 22,116
Then by that this forum should be closed down. Everything is relative and opinionated. Pad differences can be as different as from headphones to headphones, but headphones overall are much more expensive, and everyone (except the people who demo them) buy those base on opinions generated on these forums as people do with pads, though pads are much more subtle but on the other hand can increase comfort on a headphone that someone likes, which was the MAIN reason why I bought the Alpha Pads. I often see people talking about buying ~$200 cables for $300~$500 headphones to change their SQ. And all the opinions of those cables are generated on a relative basis. If someone believes the pad differences and are looking for an increase in comfort, it wouldn't hurt them to be set back $60 rather than $200, and if they didn't like it, they could just return it (generally).

Take for example, Mad Dogs vs HE-400.

I had both at once. I didn't like the Mad Dogs. People compare them to the LCD2r2 and I believe those are probably the HPs I'm looking for based on other people's experiences, but I haven't tried them yet. I personally thought HE-400s were leagues ahead in clarity, bass, and the mids vs the Mad Dogs. I didn't hear the magic of the Mad Dogs mids. I don't disregard what they believe though. I just couldn't hear it. I do hear differences with pads and do think the Alpha Pads are overall better than the velours. Is that a problem?

If people are taking people's opinions on here as god rather than building a general consensus before demoing / buying then there's the problem. I am like the only person with Alpha Pads on the HE-400s as far as I know or at least am like the only one providing opinions about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back