**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 6, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #9,481 of 22,116
Quote:
Got a little problem with He-400: 
ph34r.gif

Sounds like the driver is loose. Try tightening the screws on the earpad side of the cup.

Also try popping the driver out and see if the rattling still happens when the driver is not enclosed in the cup, if that's the case then it's the driver assembly itself that has something loose and rattling to the 200Hz vibrations, in that case it'd probably be wise to replace.

Apr 6, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #9,482 of 22,116
Thanks for the answers guys. It's so strange, because I heard nothing of this when I tested it in the shop. I absolutely loved it when I heard it there. I can try it without an amp just to see if that helps. 

Apr 6, 2013 at 5:53 AM Post #9,483 of 22,116
Quote:
A warmer tonality is typically easier to like than one that is a bit cooler. Doesn't mean one is technically better than the other though, as there are so many other factors involved (extension, detail extraction, separation, staging, clarity, to name a few)

It is obvious you favour a warmer tonal balance, so my suggestion is become more acquainted with your new cans' sound signature, and then decide of its benefits outweigh its cons specifically for your personal preference.

Sorry to break it to ya, "break-in audio" won't do much at least on the macro scale (warmth for instance).

Thanks, I'm  getting a new headphone amp chip maybe more suited to the 400's than my current entry level headphone...I'm pretty sure I will grow to love the 400's. 
Has anyone removed the hifiman He 400 slider cups (blue 1 inch circles at each side) ? Is it easy ?

Apr 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM Post #9,484 of 22,116
The alpha pads look very promising-- certainly more elegant looking than J$ pads or jerg-pads.  I hope they would fit just like audeze pads.  How is their opening compared to the hifiman velour?

Can you post a pic something like this?  You wouldn't have to draw the circles or use a quarter for resizing, but I'd at least want to know how they look side by side.

Apr 6, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #9,488 of 22,116

Quote:

Fits perfectly really. Taken with my tablet by the way so sorry for the low quality. They don't hug the mounting ring like the velours and leathers but nonetheless its a pretty good fit. To put the mounting rings in the Alpha Pads, you have to turn them inside and out. The Alpha Pad is thicker though so when you put them on the headphone, it's quite snug. Won't move around without some force, and even then there's rubbery friction. I'm thinking of modding them so they don,'t cover the mounting holes and taping the pads withdouble sided tape onto the ring and the headohone itself but that is quite a bit of mutilating for a $60 pad.. id assume itd increase the midbass though. Thinking about how to tame the subbass.

Two gripes I have though, one about alpha pad and one about the he400. Im nitpicking though.

Alpha Pads aren't uniform; one is larger than the other but that is quite understandable for custom pads.

The he400s metal seems to be rusting or something. It's turning dark brown rather than brownish red though. And it came with a small chip. Returning them and just going to get an open box one.  

Thanks very much AyeVeeN!

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #9,489 of 22,116
Man 2013 has been so disappointing in music. I've settled back down and am still consistently amazed by my HE-400 but the actual albums themselves have been sucking pretty bad this year. So far I've only got two or three I like.

But yeah after spending some more time with my HE-400, my next upgrade is definitely going to be one of the top two Stax units. So I'm .. pretty far away from that.

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #9,490 of 22,116
Quote:
Man 2013 has been so disappointing in music. I've settled back down and am still consistently amazed by my HE-400 but the actual albums themselves have been sucking pretty bad this year. So far I've only got two or three I like.

But yeah after spending some more time with my HE-400, my next upgrade is definitely going to be one of the top two Stax units. So I'm .. pretty far away from that.

SR-007/009? Have you demoe'd them? What did you think?

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:20 PM Post #9,495 of 22,116
Quote:

I feel quite the same but come out with a different conclusion.

I feel that diminishing return sets in huge after the HE-400s and therefore do not wish to invest hundreds if not thousands into hifi as of now.

The thing which is most important for me (and should be for everyone really imo) is the enjoyment factor when listening to the music through the headphone. These HE-400 may not be the most technically advanced hp, but they do well enough to get me engaged in music with no problems.

Sometimes, I think that from reading through this site, that too many people care about minimal technical differences which may not have much effect at all after brain burn in sets in.  And this imo makes themselves forget that actually they are supposed to be interested in hifi to enjoy the music you love more rather than trying to be critiques/reviewers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back