**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 5, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #9,466 of 22,116
They certainly look a mile ahead more uniform and well-made than J$ beyer pads.

Let me rephrase that. Dont mean to degrade the pads because they seem to indeed have put ina lot of effort into them. No problems with the seams either. Just on the outside you can see some parts bulging out more than on the other pad. Doesn't affect its functionalities though. Just a cosmetic gripe when critically examined up-close. As far as I can tell the depth in both pads is exactly the same and the sound is dead center. Never seen the j$ pads in person so cant comment on that. I did hear though that they make the he400s even brighter.

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:09 PM Post #9,468 of 22,116
Quote:
Okay I did another test with velours vs Alpha Pads (velours on left ear, alpha pads on right, do note my right ear can't hear soundstage as well as my left). Ive determined the Alpha Pads do have an increase in soundstage (width and depth) and hi-hats sound much more realistic thsn the velours. Vocals are also more intimate (both male and female) and female vocals are much improved. Not as nasally and treble is more tame. More suited toward my signature, which is dark from what ive read. Not a fan of excessive treble. Mid-bass/impact seems to be decreases whereas sub-bass is increased, which is probably why it seems slightly muddier. I cannot really tell if it is muddy though. Only on really intense parts it seems slightly muddier/less imaging.

Overall Alpha Pads sound much more immersive yet more intimate/fuller, with a trade-off of less bass impact but more rumble, which could be muddy. Would like a second opinion on the muddiness aspect though if anyone else has tried it.

Yeah, I'm trying them next week somewhere :)

Apr 5, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #9,469 of 22,116
Quote:
Let me rephrase that. Dont mean to degrade the pads because they seem to indeed have put ina lot of effort into them. No problems with the seams either. Just on the outside you can see some parts bulging out more than on the other pad. Doesn't affect its functionalities though. Just a cosmetic gripe when critically examined up-close. As far as I can tell the depth in both pads is exactly the same and the sound is dead center. Never seen the j$ pads in person so cant comment on that. I did hear though that they make the he400s even brighter.

Not brighter than the velours, but a tad brighter than the jergs(old version) I think. But mids are much better presented on the J$s, wish I could get some measurements on that though :frowning2: But it's very apparent, no doubt about it.

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #9,471 of 22,116
I got the HE400 a few weeks ago and pairing it with my Burson Conductor is an absolute fiasco. It's so harsh it's unlistenable for me. I literally can't listen to anything on the HE400 at all. Vocals especially are incredibly harsh with tons of sibliance and listener fatigue setting in almost immediately. 

They have so much potential but for me they are not possible to listen to, at all. Very dissapointed. Swapping in the HE300 and it's none of the extreme harshness but then again, not the "weight" of the HE400 sound. I have the HD650, HE300, AKG701, and they all sound great on the Conductor. 

Will they improve with some burn-in or do I have to sell them off as a failed experiment? 

It should be added that I listened to a pair of HE400 at the shop with an amp in roughly the same price range, and it had none of the incredible harshness that I am experiencing now. Which was what brought me to buy them in the first place. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #9,472 of 22,116
Quote:
I got the HE400 a few weeks ago and pairing it with my Burson Conductor is an absolute fiasco. It's so harsh it's unlistenable for me. I literally can't listen to anything on the HE400 at all. Vocals especially are incredibly harsh with tons of sibliance and listener fatigue setting in almost immediately. 

They have so much potential but for me they are not possible to listen at, at all. Very dissapointed. Swapping in the HE300 and it's none of the extreme harshness but then again, not the "weight" of the HE400 sound. 

Will they improve with some burn-in or do I have to sell them off as a failed project? 

Sounds like you just like a darker tonal balance with a dimmer more rounded treble. There are many comparable headphones with much more elevated/peaky treble than HE400.

You'll love the HD650 and HE500.

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:08 PM Post #9,473 of 22,116
Quote:

I wouldn't say brighter per se, and even less so as long as you're using a nylon filter like on the pleather pads.  The built in filter on the Alpha Pads looks pretty similar, so it should cut down on some of the treble there.  They do look incredibly comfortable and seem to fit the cups size better than an Audeze or a Stax pad.  I do love my j$ pads but I'd be curious to hear how these sound in comparison (being angled and all), and if they are more comfy.

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #9,474 of 22,116
Quote:

They have so much potential but for me they are not possible to listen to, at all. Very dissapointed. Swapping in the HE300 and it's none of the extreme harshness but then again, not the "weight" of the HE400 sound. I have the HD650, HE300, AKG701, and they all sound great on the Conductor. 

Will they improve with some burn-in or do I have to sell them off as a failed experiment? 

It should be added that I listened to a pair of HE400 at the shop with an amp in roughly the same price range, and it had none of the incredible harshness that I am experiencing now. Which was what brought me to buy them in the first place. 

Try HE-400 with no amp.

Also, your last statement temps me to suggest that yours is somehow faulty although I may definitely be wrong.

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #9,475 of 22,116
Quote:

I don't anyone thinks the HE-400 is extremely harsh. It's a bit tizzy, but that's it! If you find the HE-400 extremely harsh, then the AKG701 must be at least a bit harsh...
Like someone else suggested, try a different amp or not amping at all.

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #9,476 of 22,116
Might be the rare event that almost all of your recordings are very bright themselves, but I could be wrong.  HE-400 does indeed have some very bright treble that can get piercing, but it's not the type to present itself unless the recording really calls for it.  A contrast compared to something like a DT990, where it's just always there.

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #9,477 of 22,116
The sound is coming through day-by-day with my new cans. I'm leaving them on a loop with Isotek break-in audio and it seems to be working.
I was just suprised my 10x cheaper superlux cans sounded way better (warmer tone, timber,more musical) than the 400's but I was sure it was the lack of break-in with all the raving reviews these get.

Does anyone know why pigskin is not chosen for leather earpads vs lambskin and cowskin ?
Is it too sweat absorbent or oily ?

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #9,478 of 22,116
Quote:
The sound is coming through day-by-day with my new cans. I'm leaving them on a loop with Isotek break-in audio and it seems to be working.
I was just suprised my 10x cheaper superlux cans sounded way better (warmer tone, timber,more musical) than the 400's but I was sure it was the lack of break-in with all the raving reviews these get.

Does anyone know why pigskin is not chosen for leather earpads vs lambskin and cowskin ?
Is it too sweat absorbent or oily ?

A warmer tonality is typically easier to like than one that is a bit cooler. Doesn't mean one is technically better than the other though, as there are so many other factors involved (extension, detail extraction, separation, staging, clarity, to name a few)

It is obvious you favour a warmer tonal balance, so my suggestion is become more acquainted with your new cans' sound signature, and then decide of its benefits outweigh its cons specifically for your personal preference.

Sorry to break it to ya, "break-in audio" won't do much at least on the macro scale (warmth for instance).

Apr 6, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #9,479 of 22,116
I wouldn't say brighter per se, and even less so as long as you're using a nylon filter like on the pleather pads.  The built in filter on the Alpha Pads looks pretty similar, so it should cut down on some of the treble there.  They do look incredibly comfortable and seem to fit the cups size better than an Audeze or a Stax pad.  I do love my j$ pads but I'd be curious to hear how these sound in comparison (being angled and all), and if they are more comfy.

While I cant compare the comfort level, I can say they become nearly if not as comfortable as the mad dogs with both the beyer band and the alpha pads. Havent had time to do an extended gaming session so wont be able to tell for hours worth of comfort. iMO they are leagues ahead of the velour in terms of comfort though. With velours they clamp on my jaw too hard and ironically heat up more than the lambskin leather.

Apr 6, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #9,480 of 22,116
Got a little problem with He-400: 
ph34r.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back