**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Apr 5, 2013 at 1:10 PM Post #9,436 of 22,116
Quote:
Welcome to headfi and glad that you like the he400!! 
size]

Thanks Matt,
by the way, anyone has tested the HE-400 with iCAN amplifier ?.

( http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/iCAN.html )

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #9,437 of 22,116
I would pay 560 to get the HE-400 to Denmark...

Apr 5, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #9,438 of 22,116
Quote:

In my case there was a little misunderstanding at customs and I ended up showing a receipt of purchase and paid full custom fee, however it was still much cheaper than buying from Europe.

Europe: 400 Euro
US: $400 = 307 Euro + 50 Euro taxes = 357 Euro

With my ODAC which I purchased again from the US the nice fellows at JDS marked it at around $17 on the package, so I didn't pay a cent at customs 
biggrin.gif

Here in the Netherlands the import taxes would have been about three times as much!
That's pretty cool of JDS!

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #9,441 of 22,116
:s

I'm thinking of moving to the US just to bypass all those darn taxes. Considering everything I buy comes from the US.
Still think the HE-400 is worth €400. Really like it :)

I know that feeling!
Luckily I've found those people who could get these for me and I could avoid taxes. I would have had to pay around €420, but I had to pay only around €340 for them.
I always have to count about +30% when ordering, but if I'm lucky it goes through customs without any hassle, and no taxes....

BTW: anyone knows about his site? Might be useful for some fellow Europeans http://www.audiophonics.fr/hifiman-he400-casque-audiophile-haute-sensibilite-925-p-6901.html

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #9,442 of 22,116
Quote:
I know that feeling!
Luckily I've found those people who could get these for me and I could avoid taxes. I would have had to pay around €420, but I had to pay only around €340 for them.
I always have to count about +30% when ordering, but if I'm lucky it goes through customs without any hassle, and no taxes....

BTW: anyone knows about his site? Might be useful for some fellow Europeans http://www.audiophonics.fr/hifiman-he400-casque-audiophile-haute-sensibilite-925-p-6901.html

I've been eyeballing that store too! It's going to be hard to find an english review on that website!

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #9,445 of 22,116
Quote:
A Hungarian member ordered his pair from there about two months ago. I don't know about his experience with the shop itself though.

Ok, well it's certainly cheap. But I think there would be some sort of a language barrier. I don't speak french, and most french people don't want to speak english :p

Although I've ordered countless times (3 times) from german ebay stores and those have been some pf the best transactions ever.

Apr 5, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #9,446 of 22,116
Hey Everyone. After asking around and constantly trying to fix my Marantz 2245 receiver (due to some very annoying scratchy static sounds) I've decided to call it quits for a while. I've taken it to repair shops and done all I could but this guy seems to not want to behave. Some people have suggested giving up and saving my money so I am looking for a good replacement amp. 

I've been looking into the the Schiit Lyr since I've heard that it has great pairing with the HD650 and I have even read a few positive posts on it for the HE-400. I listen to a lot of EDM out of these headphones so I was wondering if I could get some opinions on how well the Lyr pairs with the HE-400? One thing I loved about the Marantz when it worked properly was how amazing the bass sounded. It really gave a kick where you could feel the headphones vibrate if I cracked the volume up a bit. (I don't do that often to save my ears lol). Coming from this, I would like to know if the Lyr could produce such great bass, if not better?

Another option is that my local vintage store recently put up an Marantz 2220B receiver (restored/repaired and everything with warranty for $250-$300) up so I could sell my 2245 and get the 2220 B one to replace it. Since I have really enjoyed the Marantz when it was working well I am also considering this option. The only thing is that I am a bit wary after spending so much time, stress and funds into fixing the 2245. The 2220 B should work fine (for cheaper) but perhaps people can offer some input on the advantages of the Lyr being worth the extra $100-$150? 

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #9,447 of 22,116
Ok, well it's certainly cheap. But I think there would be some sort of a language barrier. I don't speak french, and most french people don't want to speak english :p

Although I've ordered countless times (3 times) from german ebay stores and those have been some pf the best transactions ever.

Well, the menu and the checkout process seems to be in english, so they might not ignore you if you contact them in english :p

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #9,448 of 22,116
Quote:
I really need to look into getting an ungraded cable for them, I'm thinking a silver plated copper cable because pure silver or gold for that matter I think will make the treble to bright but silver plated copper will give them a touch more crispness but the over all clarity among all frequencies will be improved.  Then again a pure good copper cable like 7N UP OCC that's shorter at around 4 or 5 feet would do the trick just fine to and depending on the plug a pure copper cable done right can also improve the clarity and quality a bit as well.

Yeah, I'd like to get a copper/silver hybrid balanced XLR cable for the HE-400.  I just can't find one for the right price from the right place.

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #9,449 of 22,116
Quote:
Well, the menu and the checkout process seems to be in english, so they might not ignore you if you contact them in english
tongue.gif

Oh wow they even sell the connectors :$ http://www.audiophonics.fr/hifiman-connecteurs-monter-pour-casque-paire-p-7344.html

I could make my own cable!!! The stock cable is a bit long, since I only sit about half a meter from the source.

Apr 5, 2013 at 4:52 PM Post #9,450 of 22,116
Quote:
:s

I'm thinking of moving to the US just to bypass all those darn taxes. Considering everything I buy comes from the US.
Still think the HE-400 is worth €400. Really like it :)

Same here. The situation here in Brazil is even worse: There are only a few headphones for sale, and they usually charge 5x+ the market price for them.

Sucks to live in a third world country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back