**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 18, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #8,821 of 22,116
That is pretty lame.

"Sibilance Special Edition" :D

Mar 18, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #8,822 of 22,116
Quote:
just wondering did you get them? I've been reading Malveaux's reviews for a long time and the write up on these was too much to resist. i found them for a reasonable price at a distributor one day away via ups. pretty impressive as a bass monster; not really a monster but does go way down like i imagine the fa11s would. different than the he400s but with a little eq somewhat similar presentation. Time will tell how much ear time these get, at under a hundred dollars easy enough to drag around as a portable setup. thanks for the pointer!

I did get them and I like them very much. I feel the same way as you do about them... For sheer FUN, they are hard to beat and the price is just crazy for what you get. Unfortunately one of the speakers went out on me and I'm going to have to return them. I figured since I had to deal with shipping anyway, that maybe I'd like to try something else and compare them... Maybe go up "one rung on the price ladder" since I liked them so well...

Famous last words... By the time I got out of there, Craigster had convinced me to buy a set of the Signature DJ's... If you value your money, stay out of there. 
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:00 AM Post #8,823 of 22,116
Well its been a little over a week now that I've had them and since then I've only listened to my IEM's a total of maybe 30 minutes so that should tell you how much I like the HE-400.  I love the presentation with how large the soundstage is and the warmth with the brighter highs and just how smooth and deep the bass can go.  The one thing that my good BA based IEM's do better is micro detail but with the HE-400 I don't fill like I'm missing anything, it is very detailed but some IEM's like the R-50 with the more analytical sound can pick up on some small little sounds in the EDM I listen to that the HE-400 doesn't all the time.

This was some of the best money I've spent on audio equipment and I'm glad I pulled the trigger.  I like it so much that I'm looking into getting another planar headphone in either the HE-500 or maybe the more expensive LCD-2 but I think I'll go for the HE-500 as I've always liked the Hifiman sound.

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #8,824 of 22,116
I thought I was finished buying headphones after getting the Grado 325is. I guess I was wrong. I really want to try the he-400 out.

Mar 19, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #8,825 of 22,116
@Gold Plug Coming Off Discussion - Mine's doing it too... :rolleyes:

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #8,826 of 22,116
I've been searching for the right DAP that I have to use with these and the one that sounds the best is my GoGear Muse believe it or not.  I was using my i10 but the Muse has a more crisp sound and in turn a bit better over all detail plus the bass sounds smoother as well as better midrange transparency.  

I'm looking into getting a nice desktop amp but I don't want to spend more than around $350, so if anyone knows of some decent amp's please let me know.  I like my C&C BH portable amp a lot but since I only use these at home a desktop amp would just fit better and I could use my PC more.

Mar 19, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #8,827 of 22,116
I've been searching for the right DAP that I have to use with these and the one that sounds the best is my GoGear Muse believe it or not.  I was using my i10 but the Muse has a more crisp sound and in turn a bit better over all detail plus the bass sounds smoother as well as better midrange transparency.  

I'm looking into getting a nice desktop amp but I don't want to spend more than around $350, so if anyone knows of some decent amp's please let me know.  I like my C&C BH portable amp a lot but since I only use these at home a desktop amp would just fit better and I could use my PC more.
Most likely the Fiio X3.

Mar 19, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #8,828 of 22,116
Quote:

Audio GD 15.32 is on sale right now, 3.5W into 25ohms for $235. I'm not too sure about availability  though because they're out of stock

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #8,831 of 22,116
Quote:
My Fiio e09k does a good job driving the HE-400s.

There's also the Schiit Asgard 2. Never heard it myself, but it's recommended a lot arround here.

Thanks for letting me know about Schiit Asgard 2 because while it looks very good I think I might spend what was my max amount of money on an amp on the Valhalla.  I really want to try a nice tube amp and the Valhalla is in my price range but I'm going to read some review first.

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #8,832 of 22,116
After reading some reviews on both I do think the Asgard 2 would be my best choice so thanks Okamoto for the suggestion.  I can already tell this is going to get much more expensive than my IEM hobby ever did. 
size]

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #8,834 of 22,116
Quote:
Wait until you read about the Schiit Lyr, Burson Soloist etc etc...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm for sure going to take it slow on purchases but after the amp I'm going to be looking into getting a better ortho like the HE-500 or a used LCD-2 rev 2.  I will never spend the thousands that some of the Stax cost like the SR-009, I'm sure they're amazing but that's just crazy crazy for a pair of headphones imo but if you have the cash for something like that more power to you.

Mar 20, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #8,835 of 22,116
I'm for sure going to take it slow on purchases but after the amp I'm going to be looking into getting a better ortho like the HE-500 or a used LCD-2 rev 2.  I will never spend the thousands that some of the Stax cost like the SR-009, I'm sure they're amazing but that's just crazy crazy for a pair of headphones imo but if you have the cash for something like that more power to you.

Got the demo pair of LCD-2's from Justin and I've been driving them out of a pitiful E11 and my fathers Marantz home theater amp. I think even out of these sources they are worth it over the HE-400's. I will be buying a pair, just go for it when you can. Also, about the Stax, this is head-fi, never ever say never :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back