**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 17, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #8,791 of 22,116
Quote:
Being a professional trumpet player who's played the instrument for 25 years and plays regularly in orchestras, big bands, studios and other brass sections, I can confirm that the HE-400s add an unnatural emphasis to the very top end of brass sounds that is not realistic.

Realistic or not, I much prefer these for brass instruments over any other headphone i've ever heard.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #8,793 of 22,116
Quote:
Realistic or not, I much prefer these for brass instruments over any other headphone i've ever heard.

I think I need to experiment with the pad mods and EQing before I can be happy with them.  It's not like that on every recording, just certain ones I've noticed.  I think this is the trouble that I'm having with these cans, they are made to sound impressive, not necessarily accurate.

Mar 17, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #8,794 of 22,116
Quote:
I think I need to experiment with the pad mods and EQing before I can be happy with them.  It's not like that on every recording, just certain ones I've noticed.

I understand some people may not like it. But everyone knows HE-400 colors the treble/upper mids region. Just happens that this coloration pleased me.
Quote:

It is this plug, correct?  The female SMC connector at the ends of the cable that connect to the headphone cups.

Yes, but only the rough part has discolored.

Mar 17, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #8,795 of 22,116
I just got as pair of these. They sound awesome!I'm using a fiio E11 amp. I just ordered a Matrix M Stage amp. If it gets better than this I'm gonna have a lot of fun.Thank all of you guys on these forums for all your info. It really helps people to learn.

Mar 17, 2013 at 7:12 PM Post #8,797 of 22,116
Quote:

If I could suggest, don't use just the HifiMAN HE-400 as a basis towards all orthos or HifiMAN headphones.  Based upon your one sentence, I could direct you towards the HE-4 and you'd be quite surprised.  The HE-4 is lighter, but has a different, detailed high end when compared to the HE-4.  I've been a major Grado fan in the past.  However, I've heard and owned so many other headphones since then, I can no longer put a Grado on and enjoy them.  I never thought I'd ever be in that position because Grado used to mean so much to me.

[crap: this is post 4,001 - so much for retaining my post count at a nice, even number.]

Yeah, I may try another ortho sometime, it was just that the HifiMan 400 is what my friend owns...so it was easy to get them for a week.

I think I was just expecting any ortho to sound  stunning and to wow me......maybe others will and I hope to try some others some day.

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #8,800 of 22,116
Quote:
I just noticed one of my connectors went from gold to silver colored. Is that even possible? Aren't the connectors gold plated?

Gold molecule or atom can move with current direction, so that some high current carrying connector should avoid a gold plating.
Usually less than 1 amp under 5 volt  is generally considered ok with gold plating.

Your connector became from gold to silver color?
Gold plating is usually done upon nickle layer, so that what you observe is not silver but nickle surface color.

It is interesting even headphone current quantity swept the gold metal away with current...

Mar 17, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #8,801 of 22,116
Guys, could you tell me that there is any SQ difference between the gold and nickle plated TRS jacks?
I need to choose one of TRS jack with different platings.

Gold plating has no being tarnished nor oxidized, while nickle can be oxidized.
However the oxidized surface is so thin in nickle plating that it could not be problematic; when it is inserted into female jack the oxidized surface is broken.

I am not sure this fact in real situations that might deviate the expectation like one stated above.

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #8,802 of 22,116
No. Even Rhodium plated connector makes no difference whatsoever. Just choose a good looking gold plated trs (oxidized nickel looks bad).

I recommend Viablue T6s

Furutech Fp 704

or Neutrik Np3x-b

These are the best looking (IMO) and easiest to solder/use

Quote:
Guys, could you tell me that there is any SQ difference between the gold and nickle plated TRS jacks?
I need to choose one of TRS jack with different platings.

Gold plating has no being tarnished nor oxidized, while nickle can be oxidized.
However the oxidized surface is so thin in nickle plating that it could not be problematic; when it is inserted into female jack the oxidized surface is broken.

I am not sure this fact in real situations that might deviate the expectation like one stated above.

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #8,803 of 22,116
No. Even Rhodium plated connector makes no difference whatsoever. Just choose a good looking gold plated trs (oxidized nickel looks bad).

I recommend Viablue T6s

Furutech Fp 704

or Neutrik Np3x-b

These are the best looking (IMO) and easiest to solder/use

You mean there are no difference among platings in terms of SQ ?
It simply is matter of looking nice or not?

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #8,805 of 22,116
Quote:
Gold molecule or atom can move with current direction, so that some high current carrying connector should avoid a gold plating.
Usually less than 1 amp under 5 volt  is generally considered ok with gold plating.

Your connector became from gold to silver color?
Gold plating is usually done upon nickle layer, so that what you observe is not silver but nickle surface color.

It is interesting even headphone current quantity swept the gold metal away with current...

Thanks for the explanation.

edit. nvm. Stupid question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back