**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Mar 12, 2013 at 4:41 AM Post #8,521 of 22,116
Brian (BTG-Audio) is terrific.. he's done quite a bit of work for me (from making a variety of cables to installing removable sockets on universal IEMs) and I couldn't recommend his work (and top notch customer service) enough.  His pricing is very very fair, too.  A great guy I'm more than happy to support when the opportunity arises.

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #8,524 of 22,116
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm wondering. Is it recommended to remove the cables after use or there isn't any problem in keeping them connected to the phones?

You just need to make sure that wherever you place the headphones, the cable is not causing strain on the ... strain relief near the connector. That is what breaks more than anything else on these things and if you have it at a tight angle or something it could accelerate the degradation. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #8,525 of 22,116
Quote:
You just need to make sure that wherever you place the headphones, the cable is not causing strain on the ... strain relief near the connector. That is what breaks more than anything else on these things and if you have it at a tight angle or something it could accelerate the degradation. 

I always try to let the cables rest the most straight possible.

My concern about removing them everytime I use is damaging the connectors, both in the cables and headphones.

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I asked just to make sure there isn't any problem. I'm more relieved now.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #8,527 of 22,116
Quote:
I always try to let the cables rest the most straight possible.

My concern about removing them everytime I use is damaging the connectors, both in the cables and headphones.

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I asked just to make sure there isn't any problem. I'm more relieved now.

Definitely avoid removing and inserting these as much as possible...
As long as Hifiman has these "screw-in" naked sockets just protruding from the HP it is always best to just screw them in and stress them as little as possible afterwards.

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #8,528 of 22,116
Quote:
FWIW, I compared the LCD2 to the HE500s and I still prefer the HiFi Man rig. It's got more zing for me and the sheer size of the LCD2 was kind of a turn off. The sound was also a bit too similar, I think if I'm going to get a second set of cans, I would want to get something that sounded more different. Not another Planar magnetic, but that's just me. There's nothing like the impact and sound pressure from a closed back standard driver.... I've been very tempted to try the M-Audio Q40. Supposedly has all the Bass of a Pro 900 but with sweeter mids and highs... Great price too... Very tempting. Malveaux's review has made my trigger finger itchy... 
tongue_smile.gif

just wondering did you get them? I've been reading Malveaux's reviews for a long time and the write up on these was too much to resist. i found them for a reasonable price at a distributor one day away via ups. pretty impressive as a bass monster; not really a monster but does go way down like i imagine the fa11s would. different than the he400s but with a little eq somewhat similar presentation. Time will tell how much ear time these get, at under a hundred dollars easy enough to drag around as a portable setup. thanks for the pointer!

Mar 12, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #8,535 of 22,116
Quote:
They sound great. Noticed an improvement in female vocals immediately over the velours (which wasn't something I was expecting) while listening to Eclipse/Blue by Nosaj Thing.

Immensely comfortable as well. So deep and soft.

What's the bass like with these pads? I have a pair at home but haven't fitted them yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back