**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 27, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #8,041 of 22,116
I just got a pair of HE500s here to compare to my HE400s. I've always wondered. I have a feeling I'm going to be keeping the HE400s though... I refuse to give up any Bass and any Volume. I guess we shall see.... Tonight's going to be fun. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #8,042 of 22,116
Quote:

I'm using the Pico amp/dac. I was considering Asgard 2 anyways, so I might pick one up along with a Bifrost. Originally I was set on the HE-500, but after all the rave reviews of the HE-400, I figured I would save some cash.

I'm still considering the HE-500 after my experience with the HE-400. Don't get me wrong, the HE-400 is pleasing--just not quite the religious experience I was hoping for (and might not exist with any can for me). 

No problem in that.

I was in the same shoes as you but I couldn't afford a HE500 (still can't), so it was lucky I got the opportunity to get one for cheap. But even then the sound did not achieve "religious experience" level, not until I've done extensive modding (on the grills / earpads). Nowadays though everything finally sounds right.

All that's really left is for me to save up and get proper gear to drive the HE500s and unleash its soundstage/dynamics, and then it'd be religious experience 24/7 instead of just sprinkles of it.

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #8,043 of 22,116
Quote:
No problem in that.

I was in the same shoes as you but I couldn't afford a HE500 (still can't), so it was lucky I got the opportunity to get one for cheap. But even then the sound did not achieve "religious experience" level, not until I've done extensive modding (on the grills / earpads). Nowadays though everything finally sounds right.

All that's really left is for me to save up and get proper gear to drive the HE500s and unleash its soundstage/dynamics, and then it'd be religious experience 24/7 instead of just sprinkles of it.

What Amp are you using now jerg? 

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #8,045 of 22,116
Quote:
No problem in that.

I somewhat can afford the HE-500, but for the price I really need that "religious experience" else $700 can go quite far in other arenas. Perhaps I may try out some pad modding if I decide to keep the HE-400. 

One area I'm glad I haven't really had issues is comfort - after flexing the headband a bit, comfort is rather acceptable.

Feb 27, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #8,046 of 22,116
Quote:
What Amp are you using now jerg? 

In my profile 
wink.gif

And yes, it does drive HE500 loud enough. Just...doesn't have the dynamics nor the bass control nor the immersive soundstage that a much superior more powerful amp delivers.

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #8,047 of 22,116
One more needed to order these very nice hp's stand and get the price drop:

[Mod Edit: Please don't link to this site. Group buys are not allowed here.]

In case anyone needs a sweet hp stand. 

Feb 27, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #8,049 of 22,116
Quote:
In my profile 
wink.gif

And yes, it does drive HE500 loud enough. Just...doesn't have the dynamics nor the bass control nor the immersive soundstage that a much superior more powerful amp delivers.

I should probably update my profile. 
tongue.gif

I love my little E17. Great power for such a small device. I'm currently using the DACmini and just got a pair of HE500s to audition delivered here today. Looking forward to trying them out. 

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #8,051 of 22,116
Just click the link and sign up to buy. The final price is now $36 plus shipping. I hope that this does not violate any of the forum rules.

Feb 27, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #8,052 of 22,116
Quote:
Just click the link and sign up to buy. The final price is now $36 plus shipping. I hope that this does not violate any of the forum rules.

I told myself I was not going to spend any more money. I just can't say no to a zebra wood stand for my hp's. I keep just laying them on the velour bag on my desk and it just doesn't seem right. Ordered.

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:16 PM Post #8,054 of 22,116
damn broke one of the four tabs on the grill thing
Anyone know where I can get another one of the black plastic circle things?
Still holds the grill in, but it bothers me how it sticks out a bit

Feb 27, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #8,055 of 22,116
Quote:

We're not allowed to post about group buys on this forum. I especially wouldn't support a site like Mass Drop, that essentially blackmails companies into giving discounts. They consistently say that companies agreed to do it and then pulled out when they never even contacted the company. The way they told everyone that HiFiMan would be in on one is a good example, when HiFiMan did nothing but say no from the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back