**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 28, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #8,071 of 22,116
Quote:
Thinking about jumping on these but I can't find anywhere in the UK at a good price, I've found this chap in ebay (http://tinyurl.com/bvxlooc) willing to ship them from the states to the UK which works out at £275 inc devl if I don't get clobbered by the tax man, has any UK folk used this seller before? do they look 'legit'?

That's the manufacturers ebay page.

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #8,072 of 22,116
Quote:
Thinking about jumping on these but I can't find anywhere in the UK at a good price, I've found this chap in ebay (http://tinyurl.com/bvxlooc) willing to ship them from the states to the UK which works out at £275 inc devl if I don't get clobbered by the tax man, has any UK folk used this seller before? do they look 'legit'?

It's Hifiman themselves (aka head-direct). Instruct them to declare a low value and mark as gift, you'll get little to no import tax. However you'll still have to pay VAT (20% of shipping + declared value) and EMS handling fee (either 8 or 13 GBP). 

Custom clearance and processing took 1 week though - Parcelforce is crap. You may get more luck than me.

Feb 28, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #8,073 of 22,116
Quote:

This is official manufacturer, they are great guys. I got HE-400 from them, shipping to CZ was 18$ which is like free :) they will do whatever u ask them 
biggrin.gif
 Definitely recommend them.

Feb 28, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #8,074 of 22,116
Feb 28, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #8,077 of 22,116
Guys, it would seem the Hifiman Velour pads might have undergone a slight change.
As of now I have two - one came with my first pair in December and the others with my second pair sometimes in Jan - Feb

You can easily see they look different.

The grey ones are slightly deeper but slightly less soft
The black ones are less deep but slightly softer

Any ideas? Are there any newer and older pads still around?

I did the "hot water mod" they are NOTICEABLY softer now

And then I realized they were not the same :O

Will give impressions tomorrow - on the comfort improvement.

I will probably stick with the slightly thicker ones as I have relatively big ears, but might A/B them later

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #8,078 of 22,116
Since when exactly Hifiman has two different velour pads?
Gray ones - thicker, slightly stiffer
Black ones - shallower, slightly softer

One came with an older batch HE-6, one came with a newer one...

Letting them dry up after some hot water squishing 

And I suddenly notice there are two different pairs.

Both definitely softer, will probably prefer the deeper ones due to my bigger ears, will probably try both though.
Comfort should be definitely a + either way, MUCH softer than before the "hot water" mod :D

Feb 28, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #8,080 of 22,116
Feb 28, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #8,081 of 22,116
Having gutted two pairs of velours so far (for jergpad mod), I know they are different versions:

The white foams are the same as the foams used in pleather pads. The gray foams are not. Not sure which velours are the newer versions though.

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #8,082 of 22,116
Quote:
Having gutted two pairs of velours so far (for jergpad mod), I know they are different versions:

The white foams are the same as the foams used in pleather pads. The gray foams are not. Not sure which velours are the newer versions though.

Well as ya'll know I got my HE-400 in the last couple months and my velours are white inside. They came from Justin at HeadAmp, and I know that they're white because mine are coming apart (Justin is replacing them for me because he's awesome, of course)

Feb 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #8,083 of 22,116
Quote:
Well as ya'll know I got my HE-400 in the last couple months and my velours are white inside. They came from Justin at HeadAmp, and I know that they're white because mine are coming apart (Justin is replacing them for me because he's awesome, of course)

All of my 3 pairs of velours have the poofy grey foam actually; the white foam velours are from the velour pads that Merkil sent me to be sacrificed for the jergpad mod.

Mar 1, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #8,085 of 22,116
Nah, I've moved on from the HE400. It's Annie + D7000 or TH-600 as my end game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back