**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 13, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #7,306 of 22,116
Bioshock 2 with CMSS-3D and the surround setting has been the best as far as positional audio goes for me. I'm pretty sure it's 3D binaural since I snap to enemies walking above me on balconies and when standing under a water faucet it actually sounds like it's pouring on my head.

Unfortunately not many games go the 3D audio route.

Feb 13, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #7,307 of 22,116
Quote:
Just tried it and waiting for them to dry up :) 
So while the velours are drying, I decided to try on the stock pads for the first time (I replaced them with velours right away after getting them)
The velours are definitely much better. Hard to explain but the velours makes them much more intimate for me. Now Im curious to give the J$ Beyer Pads a try.

I assume they're dried by now, are they softer for you? 

I want to try this but couldn't it somehow damage or ruin the pads? Perhaps even change the sound?

Feb 13, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #7,308 of 22,116
Quote:

Unfortunately they don't give the size and searching didn't give any results, but maybe someone has had experience with the official Beyer replacement headband and the HE-400?
Before I take the plunge on the amazon ones, are there any leather replacement headbands out there? (I know J$ doesn't exist anymore... as far as I know.)

Comfort-Fi!  There is a genuine leather variant of the beyer headband. http://turbulentlabs.com/beyer-onyx/  It is pretty expensive however, and will likely be a tight fit like the others.  The universal one from Amazon seems to be the best unless you want to make your own.  The Sennheiser cushion you listed should have an adhesive strip can be adhered with some double sided tape, but your idea would probably work well.  Here is what it looks like on a pair of HE-500:

I made my own cushion with leather and a carved foam brick, and it turned out fairly decent:

I ordered an HD650 cushion http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/sennheiser-hd650-replacement-foam-headband-pad.html that I plan on enclosing in leather for my rev.2 design.

Feb 13, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #7,309 of 22,116
The Senn HD600 headband cushion does not have an adhesive backing (since it slides into the under part of the HD600's headband).  When I had the HE-500, I used a thin, double-sided tape to afix the cushion to the HE-500's headband.  Not sure about the HD650 headband cushion though, it might have an adhesive backing.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #7,310 of 22,116
Quote:
The Senn HD600 headband cushion does not have an adhesive backing (since it slides into the under part of the HD600's headband).  When I had the HE-500, I used a thin, double-sided tape to afix the cushion to the HE-500's headband.  Not sure about the HD650 headband cushion though, it might have an adhesive backing.

Thanks for clarifying...the HD650 is probably similar, but I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.

Feb 13, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #7,311 of 22,116
Quote:

I assume they're dried by now, are they softer for you? 

I want to try this but couldn't it somehow damage or ruin the pads? Perhaps even change the sound?

I'm also interested in this.  I would like softer velours, but I'm worried about a change in sound.

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #7,313 of 22,116
As stated above, It's not much softer. Hardly any changes to it. As for the sound, still sounds the same.

Feb 13, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #7,314 of 22,116
Quote:
As stated above, It's not much softer. Hardly any changes to it. As for the sound, still sounds the same.

Doesnt the bass hit harder as u now have a better fit to ur face? U all say sound dont change..i find that suprising..as when i push my he500 more against my head, and in so closing any gaps between my face and pads, the bass is different..its minimal..but i hear it..so i suspected with making velours softer they would fit better to ur face and so having a different hitting bass..just wondering..so only pro of this wettening is that its softer on ur head?
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #7,315 of 22,116
Quote:
Doesnt the bass hit harder as u now have a better fit to ur face? U all say sound dont change..i find that suprising..as when i push my he500 more against my head, and in so closing any gaps between my face and pads, the bass is different..its minimal..but i hear it..so i suspected with making velours softer they would fit better to ur face and so having a different hitting bass..just wondering..so only pro of this wettening is that its softer on ur head?

Yes making them more comfortable is the entire point.

Feb 13, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #7,316 of 22,116
Quote:
confused_face_2.gif

Nah, if your ears are closer to the drivers (as a consequence of softened pads or different pads), bass doesn't hit harder, it loses some control but increases in fullness.

That said even with the washed velours, your ears are still fairly far from the drivers, especially compared to pleathers.

Feb 13, 2013 at 11:48 PM Post #7,320 of 22,116
Hello all, I have a noob question am getting this headphone and i have an e9 amp, should my gain switch be in high or low? thanks

Whatever gets between 9-12 on the volume pot. That is the E9's sweet spot (stated by the Fiio rep himself here). If both get between 9-12, I'd use whichever gain gets between 10-11.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back