**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 3, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #6,871 of 22,116
Quote:
It's interesting to note how many non-HE400 summit-fi owners come by and chill in the HE400 thread lol, the summit-fi threads must be getting cold and lonely and everyone huddles to the camp-fire here.

I had the HE400 on loan for a month or 2 not too long ago :)

Feb 4, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #6,872 of 22,116
Hi guys:

After congratulating all of you that rooted for the Ravens and commiserating with those of you that rooted for the Niners (including myself), back to serious business :). Although Hifiman claims the HE-400 can be driven by the iDevices, in my 3-day experience, I find that is just not the case (though the Ipad 3 is better) and amping is necessary. Has that been your experience as well ?
Second, I have plugged the HE-400 to my iDevice and playing it almost continuously for 3 days now as part of the "burin-in" process. Is this necessary or overkill ?

Thanks

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:40 AM Post #6,873 of 22,116
Quote:
Hi guys:

After congratulating all of you that rooted for the Ravens and commiserating with those of you that rooted for the Niners (including myself), back to serious business :). Although Hifiman claims the HE-400 can be driven by the iDevices, in my 3-day experience, I find that is just not the case (though the Ipad 3 is better) and amping is necessary. Has that been your experience as well ?
Second, I have plugged the HE-400 to my iDevice and playing it almost continuously for 3 days now as part of the "burin-in" process. Is this necessary or overkill ?

Thanks

Lol just listen to them and you will see :)
Nobody never said you cant listen during burn-in :D

Also, you should listen slightly louder when burning them in so keep that in mind as well :p

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #6,874 of 22,116
I'm pleased to say I am now an HE-400 owner 
beyersmile.png
I couldn't wait till the DHL-man came and handed me the package.

I'm listening to the first couple of songs now, 96kh/24bit rip on my Mac Mini, sent to my FiiO E17 and to my headphones.

Coming from an HD-555...wow! There is an overall increase in clarity, and especially the drums are just pounding right now.

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:37 AM Post #6,876 of 22,116
Quote:
Do the velours soften up over time? They are really stiff =/

Yup, they do. If you can't wait, just wash 'em with some soap or something. They are a bit stiff, though.

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:08 AM Post #6,877 of 22,116
Do the velours soften up over time? They are really stiff =/

I have two pairs. The one I've used from day one is quite a bit softer than the ones I haven't used. Give it time, they should soften up.

Feb 4, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #6,878 of 22,116
Quote:
I have two pairs. The one I've used from day one is quite a bit softer than the ones I haven't used. Give it time, they should soften up.

alright, gonna use the velours until i get some pantyhose for my j$ pads. loving the sound out of the he-400s, especially compared to the slightly fatiguing sr225s I was using before

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #6,879 of 22,116
Quote:
I'm pleased to say I am now an HE-400 owner 
beyersmile.png
I couldn't wait till the DHL-man came and handed me the package.

I'm listening to the first couple of songs now, 96kh/24bit rip on my Mac Mini, sent to my FiiO E17 and to my headphones.

Coming from an HD-555...wow! There is an overall increase in clarity, and especially the drums are just pounding right now.

I know what you mean, when I first put them on I was floored at how amazing the drums and cymbals sounded. "The Court of the Crimson King" - King Crimson was just amazing.

Feb 4, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #6,880 of 22,116
Quote:
Hi guys:

Thanks

My Cowon X7 has pretty much no headroom when I drive them with it, which most likely isn't very good for dynamics. Although it is hard to tell the difference between it and my Asgard at equal volumes. I'm guessing they must be pretty quiet with iDevices given that I recall  my Cowon being near double the volume of my nano.

And also, really any burn in is overkill, even though they now tell you to in the manual...

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #6,882 of 22,116
Quote:
My ipod nano second gen is a little quiet with the HE400, but when running it with rockbox it gets much louder. Doesn't sound too bad either, but I can definitely detect some distortion in the bass when at max volume.

If it gets louder with a software change you're probably lowering the power headroom and losing some dynamics. I'm guessing max volume with rockbox would cause some clipping.

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:53 AM Post #6,885 of 22,116
Quote:
If it gets louder with a software change you're probably lowering the power headroom and losing some dynamics. I'm guessing max volume with rockbox would cause some clipping.

Yeah that must be it, well back in the drawer that iPod will go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back