**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Feb 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #6,766 of 22,116
Quote:
I've been curious about hearing a modified T50RP for some time, and it would be nice to have a closed headphone from time to time.  It is almost hard to justify the price difference, but consider the amount of time and research that went into tuning a Mad Dog and ensuring that each sounds the same on a small scale.  If it really can perform, compete with higher end cans and people are willing to pay, the price is justifiable I guess - plus, I believe MrSpeakers offers a warranty on his work.  There is the temptation to try my hand at working through a laundry list of modifications, but I've read a mixed bag of results.  I can't say if this would be the best option for an alternative to the HE-400 for someone who wants a closed-back, isolating option - anyone have any thoughts?

Yeah it's a good alternative. But they don't sound alike at all. The maddogs are much more laid back, and less dynamic and detailed (imo).
But the maddog is a very natural sounding closed headphone. I mean what else could you want from a closed headphone?

The one thing that put me off, was that it is just a modded t50rp. The headband, the cups, they are all the same. And I think they feel kinda cheap. That and the maddogs are pretty clunky, they are very unsuited to take outside, since they would fall off your head pretty easy.
The only situation I can see them being used is at a desk, with a big amp where isolation is needed.

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #6,767 of 22,116
"That and the maddogs are pretty clunky, they are very unsuited to take outside, since they would fall off your head pretty easy."

And that's not the case with the HE400...?

Feb 1, 2013 at 3:57 PM Post #6,768 of 22,116
LOL.   I've been called "thick-headed" but that doesn't apply to my actual head size.  The 400's fall off my head if I move to adjust something adjacent to me.  Hoping the J$ pads will give a bit more clamp pressure.

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #6,771 of 22,116
Quote:
"That and the maddogs are pretty clunky, they are very unsuited to take outside, since they would fall off your head pretty easy."

And that's not the case with the HE400...?

Ehm the HE-400 is an open headphone. Why would you take that outside?

A closed headphone is all about portability. However the maddogs are everything but portable.

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #6,772 of 22,116
Quote:
LOL.   I've been called "thick-headed" but that doesn't apply to my actual head size.  The 400's fall off my head if I move to adjust something adjacent to me.  Hoping the J$ pads will give a bit more clamp pressure.

I have the same problem. If I am eating something, I move the headband back on my skull, so that it will stay put :p

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #6,773 of 22,116
I had the worst nightmare last night. My HE-400 got crushed by a killer whale, boy was I happy to wake up 
biggrin.gif

Feb 1, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #6,774 of 22,116
Quote:
Yeah it's a good alternative. But they don't sound alike at all. The maddogs are much more laid back, and less dynamic and detailed (imo).
But the maddog is a very natural sounding closed headphone. I mean what else could you want from a closed headphone?

The one thing that put me off, was that it is just a modded t50rp. The headband, the cups, they are all the same. And I think they feel kinda cheap. That and the maddogs are pretty clunky, they are very unsuited to take outside, since they would fall off your head pretty easy.
The only situation I can see them being used is at a desk, with a big amp where isolation is needed.

Sounds like they could be a good companion, but it's the latter part that is the biggest downside.  I do like the design, but it still seems a bit plastic-y for a $300 headphone.  Easily justifiable to get a stock T50RP and attempt mods, perhaps not so much to pay the overhead of the mod - it's subjective.  I personally like to modify things (alot), but I'm not sure I could achieve all the same things to get the most out of them like they've done with the Mad Dogs.  I guess I'd have to hear and hold them to know for sure.  The other option I was thinking about was the D2000, but those are going to be harder to get over time.

Quote:

They were slightly loose on my head initially, but adding the j$ beyers and the headband cushion make them fit quite snug.  I had to bend the headband a bit with the new pads, but it fits perfectly now.

Feb 1, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #6,775 of 22,116
Quote:
Sounds like they could be a good companion, but it's the latter part that is the biggest downside.  I do like the design, but it still seems a bit plastic-y for a $300 headphone.  Easily justifiable to get a stock T50RP and attempt mods, perhaps not so much to pay the overhead of the mod - it's subjective.  I personally like to modify things (alot), but I'm not sure I could achieve all the same things to get the most out of them like they've done with the Mad Dogs.  I guess I'd have to hear and hold them to know for sure.  The other option I was thinking about was the D2000, but those are going to be harder to get over time.

They were slightly loose on my head initially, but adding the j$ beyers and the headband cushion make them fit quite snug.  I had to bend the headband a bit with the new pads, but it fits perfectly now.

I'd say the maddogs are in the same league as the HE-400 but have a total different sound. And I don't think you could achieve the same things as mrspeakers did on the maddogs. It will take you a long time and a lot of money to get there
And yes, they are plastic-y for 300 usd, well almost 400 euros in holland :frowning2:

Feb 1, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #6,776 of 22,116
Ehm the HE-400 is an open headphone. Why would you take that outside?

A closed headphone is all about portability. However the maddogs are everything but portable.

Isolation too, which it does welll. (They're comfy earmuffs!)

The clamping force on the mad dog is adjustable, and I've actually had no problem taking them outside traveling to and from my university since they're light and fairly tight. That being said, they're not optimal for portable use (no swiveling cups, needs a decent portable amp), but they're not awful IMO, ymmv, etc etc

Funny story, My buddy actually takes his LCD-2s on our outings, but he's a little nuts. :p

P.s. sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread further! I am keeping an eye on this thread however, as I'm waiting for my turn on the headamp trials! I'm excited to compare the two

Feb 1, 2013 at 6:09 PM Post #6,777 of 22,116

Got the J$ on the way thanks to Wayne.

Is the headband cush from sennheiser or some other mod?  Reminds me of the 60's "mods vs rockers"

Feb 1, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #6,778 of 22,116
Quote:
Isolation too, which it does welll. (They're comfy earmuffs!)

The clamping force on the mad dog is adjustable, and I've actually had no problem taking them outside traveling to and from my university since they're light and fairly tight. That being said, they're not optimal for portable use (no swiveling cups, needs a decent portable amp), but they're not awful IMO, ymmv, etc etc

Funny story, My buddy actually takes his LCD-2s on our outings, but he's a little nuts. :p

P.s. sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread further! I am keeping an eye on this thread however, as I'm waiting for my turn on the headamp trials! I'm excited to compare the two

Must be a personal thing, they felt really loose on my skull. Maybe even more so than the HE-400!
They do isolate well, but I could not walk with them.

I've also seen people use their lcd2 for their portable setup. It might work if you're alone, at home cooking. Or taking a walk in a quiet forest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back