**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 27, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #6,316 of 22,116

Quote:
The Orange globes that Matt mentioned are very nice and not too expensive, but If you want a really higher end nice tube E188ccs are fantastic (Dario Miniwatt, La Radiotenique, Telefunkin and ect.).  See the Lyr tube rolling thread for some better info.

I have strayed off topic enough here though,  my apologies..................back to the HE-400 regular scheduled programing.

Quote:

I really like this guy on ebay mercedesman6572. He sells a lot of the Amperex Orange Globes like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-ORANGE-GLOBE-8608-VACUUM-TUBE-1970-GOLD-PIN-MATCHED-PAIR-/221178541608?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item337f44b628&_uhb=1

He is nice to deal with. 

The Lyr tube rolling thread is terribly long. I am willing to trust your recommendation of the Amperex Orange Globes:) 
Thanks!

Jan 27, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #6,317 of 22,116
Quote:

Good news about the warranty. Would that apply to us folks who bought the headphones before the warranty change?

What was the warranty before?

Mine didn't come with a manual that I know of, and the warranty slip is in Chinese...

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #6,319 of 22,116
Quote:
Nah, i'm just tired of all the hyperbole on Head-fi. Everything I was led to believe especially in terms of dacs/amps has been mostly nonsense, that I've learned not to believe a damn thing anyone says especially when it comes to comparing things they don't have a secondary of: (i.e. two Lyrs.). Op-amps, etc.

Better to be a skeptic wanting some real proof instead of just being part of the bandwagon that agrees with everything everyone else says. Like the whole pad thing here. First was the velours. Then someone said the pleather was better, and most jumped ship and went back to pleather in agreement. Then came the Beyer pads, and the mods, etc. People can't make up their mind, so they follow everyone else.

You're so angry!
biggrin.gif

Just wait until you find out that the same exact crap goes on in virtually every industry out there - particularly those that seek to justify astronomically high prices.

Anyway I dropped my headphones into some Kerosene gas, and the Bass BOOMs but is tight and textured, the MIDS are now dark and bright at the same time, and the treble is soooo noticeable but soooo non-fatiguing! Plus, I cut a hole in the diaphrahm and FINALLY have that tube-like sound I've been missing. Then I punched a cat in the face and deleted my music library and have gone exclusively to Samsung's new Vinyl-laserdisc hybrid and it's soooo much better. I also noticed I wasn't getting enough juice so I plugged them in to a $50,000 dollar amp and I can't believe how heavy it is! Seriously, its encased in concrete.

I like listening to people go back and forth on these things. I am sometimes wanting a change myself, but mostly, I want the music industry to start recording S*** better! (My latest gripe).
beerchug.gif

Jan 27, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #6,321 of 22,116
Quote:
^^ There is so much music that I really like that is recorded and mastered like complete crap. 
size]

I am willing to bet that 90% of the need to "upgrade" or "switch phones" is motivated without knowledge that one's recordings are compressed to the point of creating the problem in the sound chain.

Even albums that I would have guessed don't clip . . . clip.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #6,325 of 22,116
Quote:
Oh 30 new posts in the HE-400 thread? 1/3 of them are sure to be MLE complaining about Head-Fi and calling everyone liars...

... Yep! I was right! :]

I'm not chipping into to defend MLE, but he has a very valid point.  A lot of emphasis gets placed on how good or how bad something is, but the scale is a large scale. If someone makes a purchase, and it's a good one for them, the abilities of the product can get a bit embellished due to the initial excitement of the purchaser.  I think all MLE is striving for is to level-set expectations.  The more honest we are, the better off all of us will be.  By honesty, I'm implying our own honest view of something base upon what we've read.  If we read good things, our mind tends to multiply the information by a large factor.  Up until receiving the item, our expectations are set pretty high.  If, what we receive is actually lesser than we had built it up to be, we end up getting disappointed.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #6,327 of 22,116
Quote:

I might be wrong, but wasn't it just one year?  For those with the Rev. 1 (pre-order) version of the HE-400s, which were purchased at $349.00, HifiMAN extended their warranty by a year.

If I'm wrong about the original warranty term, mea culpa.

I also thought it was one year.

Jan 27, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #6,328 of 22,116
So, I'm curious about the plots that have been posted showing compression levels on various pieces of music. Apologies if I've missed this, but what program(s) are people using to generate those? I'd like to examine some of the tracks I find particularly annoying to listen to ("harsh sounding," to use a distinctly non-technical descriptor).

Running OS X, so Windows-only software need not apply.

Thanks.

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #6,330 of 22,116
Quote:

I'm not chipping into to defend MLE, but he has a very valid point.  A lot of emphasis gets placed on how good or how bad something is, but the scale is a large scale. If someone makes a purchase, and it's a good one for them, the abilities of the product can get a bit embellished due to the initial excitement of the purchaser.  I think all MLE is striving for is to level-set expectations.  The more honest we are, the better off all of us will be.  By honesty, I'm implying our own honest view of something base upon what we've read.  If we read good things, our mind tends to multiply the information by a large factor.  Up until receiving the item, our expectations are set pretty high.  If, what we receive is actually lesser than we had built it up to be, we end up getting disappointed.

I don't disagree with what he says, just how he says it and the frequency of him saying it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back