**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #6,181 of 22,116
Quote:
There is no way to keep up with this thread!
I have been checking rock for a while now and i have noted that it might be this mastering thing you talk about.
I tried some older Papa roach msuic and it was kinda bad, but then i then tried "Before I die", it sounded great even off youtube.

Ive also tried other groups like linkin park, nickleback, etc, and most of those "teen rock groups" seem to have the same issue.
I then tried some more "older" and softer rock and there was a great difference in this regard.
Unfortunatelly, this HP killed my love for the Group Paramore due to this same reason, even thou i like the singer quite a lot :D.

In fact im starting to get interested in Opera and Classical music a lot more due to these HPs.

If you have access to a vinyl rig, that's the way to go for groups like Paramore imo.

My CD verison of Riot! averages a 5 on the dynamic range meter.  I also made a needledrop of my vinyl version (white color, love colored vinyl) and ran a DR value using Foobar and it averaged a 10 (lowest value was 10, with a couple songs 11) 

Jan 25, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #6,184 of 22,116
Try Justin's Headamp.com website.:D He is a good guy.

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #6,187 of 22,116
Quote:
^^ +1 for headamp.com

Yes, x2 on that.  Plus, when you do decide to go forward with an order, ensure you go through the following portal page on our site as I believe the site here might be tracking the number of people who pass through from here to the site.  Support of these vendors is crucial as we then have the ability to keep this great site up and running for our excellent hobby.

Here is the link to to the sponsors for the site.  Within this page are graphics for each respective vendor.  If you click on their graphic for their site, you will be directed to their site.

http://www.head-fi.org/sponsors/

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #6,188 of 22,116
Yes, x2 on that.  Plus, when you do decide to go forward with an order, ensure you go through the following portal page on our site as I believe the site here might be tracking the number of people who pass through from here to the site.  Support of these vendors is crucial as we then have the ability to keep this great site up and running for our excellent hobby.

Here is the link to to the sponsors for the site.  Within this page are graphics for each respective vendor.  If you click on their graphic for their site, you will be directed to their site.

http://www.head-fi.org/sponsors/

I didn't even know that! Too late for me...but my next order for sure.

Jan 25, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #6,189 of 22,116
x3 on headamp, Justin is great to deal with. Happy shopping. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #6,192 of 22,116
I love Linkin Park, and their newest CD is different from their older stuff, and just as good. But different strokes for different folks. Not everyone is into what their grandparents are into.

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #6,193 of 22,116
Finally got a chance to demo the HD650 for a while today, on a Burson HA160 I think. Having both HE400 and HE500 for a while, it was interesting hearing these. Very refined and neutral, I was surprised at the quantity and finesse of the bass. They sound very close to HE500 in tonality, a bit lacking in transparency and treble is a little fatiguing, but overall very neutral-sounding with a touch of warmth. I finally get why these cans endured through the ages in terms of SQ.

I'm sure these are on par if not better in technicalities like resolution and dynamics compared to HE400, by extrapolation.

The comfort level was terrible for my relatively wide head though, felt like a dang vise grip around my ears. Build quality did not feel too solid either, very plasticky and fragile in the hands compared to the rigid thick industrial-grade plastic material used for Hifiman cups.

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #6,194 of 22,116
The treble was fatiguing? That just doesn't make sense. The treble is so smooth, compared to the quite prominent treble on the HE400. If there is one thing I can personally say about the HD650, its that its the most pleasant, unfatiguing headphone I have ever heard.

Maybe that burson is raising the treble to some nasty levels, because HD650 and fatiguing treble, don't belong in the same sentence.

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:33 PM Post #6,195 of 22,116
Quote:
It adds bass, adds midrange, reduces treble, and improves soundstage?

Basically everything we want the HE400 to be improved upon. Yeah, that sounds like expectation bias to me. Sorry, but I'm calling BS on some of these things. Pad rolling, the new burn in.

I'm a skeptic because someone has to be. Nothing is ever that perfect. People go on by glowing impressions, and that leads to bias.

I may get a chance to listen to this, and if I do, I'm willing to bet its not all flowers and candy.

I applaud being a skeptic, but the jerg pads sound really good. I used to use an eq for the velours, but when I apply this eq to the jerg pads it sounds wrong, and just bad.

I will do some pad switching, but the jerg pads definitely sound better than the stock pleathers (by far!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back