**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 25, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #6,151 of 22,116
In my opinion - yes, I have an opinion you are essentially correct on what you've stated.  However, I have (3) of the newer Yamaha 2-channel pieces of hardware (amps, receivers, etc.)  Each of them have a subwoofer output, so I can enjoy my SVS sub in my 2-channel rig.  However, there is an additional feature on the Yamaha 2-channel amps and receivers which is: variable loudness.  This knob is a godsend, I tell you.  It allows one to move the knob so that the proper mix of bass and treble ... and even more bass can be achieved at lower listening levels.  As one increases the volume, these affects that are applied then to lessen some as the natural increase in volume, makes such controls fade towards the back a bit and the better bass response from naturally higher volumes starts to take over.

Being that this "variable loudness" button is used, one can enjoy true bliss at lower listening levels, but it scales beautifully.  Only Yamaha, and Denon to a degree - on their older 2-channel gear has offered such a great control.  Yamaha still offers it on their 2-channel gear that is still produced today.  The regular Bass and Treble controls are still present, but the variable loudness control is such more effective, I keep the regular Bass and Treble set to flat.

Dude, that's still a glorified EQ. It's altering the frequency aka equalizing. Not in a traditional sense, but it is what it is.

What I meant is that no standard headphone amp without some way to EQ (even with a nuke's worth of power) is gonna match the E17 in bass.

Subjective really, if you want ample bass.. you will need more than the E17 imo.

This is what I was replying to. Recommending any typical headphone amp is NOT going to beat what the E17 can do to the bass, AT ALL.

Even the SA-31 with 10watts at 40ohms can't touch the E17 with a +4 o higher. +4 is the sweet spot in terms of bass, IMHO. Anything more starts distorting the bass a bit too much for my own liking.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:33 AM Post #6,152 of 22,116
Quote:
Dude... miss a couple of days of trying to keep up with the thread and miss the 400th page event and all.. LOL.  I'll wait till Saturday when we hit 500.

Hey - Matt - are your sinuses plugged up?  Our weather here in the hartland is nuts.  60' one day 25' the next and 60' again the day after. My nose it gobed up with crap and when that happens my eustachian tubes get plugged and my ears do wierd things. If so, pop some sudafed and afrin spray and see how it goes.  Might have some fluid backed up in there.

Yeah, we have light snow and sleet today and Tuesday is supposed to be 65 degrees and sunny...maybe a good day to sneak out to the golf course. 
size]
 Oddly my nose is not gobbed up with crap. 
size]
 Me and the kids home today and hopefully I'll have some extra time for hp's if the kids aren't killing each other.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #6,153 of 22,116
Quote:
Dude, that's still a glorified EQ. It's altering the frequency aka equalizing. Not in a traditional sense, but it is what it is.

What I meant is that no standard headphone amp without some way to EQ (even with a nuke's worth of power) is gonna match the E17 in bass.
This is what I was replying to. Recommending any typical headphone amp is NOT going to beat what the E17 can do to the bass, AT ALL.

Even the SA-31 with 10watts at 40ohms can't touch the E17 with a +4 o higher. +4 is the sweet spot in terms of bass, IMHO. Anything more starts distorting the bass a bit too much for my own liking.

Have you personally tried a 2-channel piece of equipment from Yamaha with a pair of headphones?  
size]

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #6,154 of 22,116
There is no way to keep up with this thread!
I have been checking rock for a while now and i have noted that it might be this mastering thing you talk about.
I tried some older Papa roach msuic and it was kinda bad, but then i then tried "Before I die", it sounded great even off youtube.

Ive also tried other groups like linkin park, nickleback, etc, and most of those "teen rock groups" seem to have the same issue.
I then tried some more "older" and softer rock and there was a great difference in this regard.
Unfortunatelly, this HP killed my love for the Group Paramore due to this same reason, even thou i like the singer quite a lot :D.

In fact im starting to get interested in Opera and Classical music a lot more due to these HPs.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #6,155 of 22,116
Quote:
lol I love the additions Wayne.

Thank you.  Working with each member here has been a very unique process.  It is such transactions that occur between the various communications that have allowed me to be able to expand my FAQ for the pads.  I have even added a few more additions this morning.  The fun never ends.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:52 AM Post #6,156 of 22,116
Quote:
Still pondering the sexy as hell Lyr, I love the look of that amp... just calling my name all the time now. I wan't it so much...

EDIT: Living in Canada drives the price up a fair bit, $535 total from Headphone Bar, $551 from Schiit if I get charged duty...

My suggestion is to buy a used lyr here a save big. The lyr is built like a tank and as long as you buy a used one in mint or near mint condition you'll be fine. They go up for sale fairly regularly. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #6,159 of 22,116
Quote:
I have been checking rock for a while now and i have noted that it might be this mastering thing you talk about.
I tried some older Papa roach msuic and it was kinda bad, but then i then tried "Before I die", it sounded great even off youtube.

Ive also tried other groups like linkin park, nickleback, etc, and most of those "teen rock groups" seem to have the same issue.
I then tried some more "older" and softer rock and there was a great difference in this regard.
Unfortunatelly, this HP killed my love for the Group Paramore due to this same reason, even thou i like the singer quite a lot :D.

In fact im starting to get interested in Opera and Classical music a lot more due to these HPs.

Listen to a well recorded string quartet, these headphones really let you hear the tonal colouring of the various instruments.  Shamelless plug for good music: Linnrecords

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #6,161 of 22,116
^^ Let me rephrase. What I mean is that if you are looking for a headphone and are considering the he400 and one of the Sennheiser hd6xx...then you'd be more in the "ballpark" by looking at the hd650 instead of the hd600. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #6,162 of 22,116

No issues with any Linkin Park FLACs here :wink:

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #6,164 of 22,116
Quote:
Can anyone comment on how the HE-400 rolls with the Aune T1 (and possibly in comparison to the Magni/Modi stack)?

Sure.

Just in my (edit:  non-audiophile) opinion, both are amazing options for their price point but I have to give the edge to the Aune T1, for the fact of its a tube amp and DAC in one box -- I like that they are one unit as opposed to the "stack" -- and I also find that the M&M is just a tad too bright for my taste, leading me to fatigue after a while.  The M&M is pretty resolving with my music, which means great recordings sound great but poor ones really stand out.  I love the M&M for pop/electronic and rap music and have no issues with the sound quality there, it's just lower fidelity indie stuff that I run into problems with the M&M.  I have emailed ninjames some tracks to test for me but I am getting lots of hissing on some of my songs with the M&M, virtually no hiss with the Aune and overall everything is smoother.  The Aune is more "fun" imo and I love watching that tube light up.  Plus the option for tube rolling extends its value for me. 

So I guess it boils down to, do you want the separate amp/dacs with the option to upgrade either the amp or the DAC later?  Then go with the M&M.  But if you want to get in with the tubey goodness, go with the Aune T1.

I also have the Fiio E17 and compared to both the Aune and the Schiit it sounds a lot "tamer" but it's amazing for portability.  I bet the E17 would sound better when paired with like a E9 or something.

Jan 25, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #6,165 of 22,116
Quote:
No issues with any Linkin Park FLACs here
wink.gif

I "like" Linkin Park on these (CDs), but i feel its still lower quality than other recordings (thou linkin park seems to have a great voice of the "screaming" singer with these).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back