**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 24, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #6,092 of 22,116
Quote:
Come on people...don't make me break out the PS

I broke out the Photoshop the other night when I had to caption some political pictures.  Pretty funny stuff.  I just won't tell all of you which ID I use on the Interweb to post such comedy.  I try to keep the different aspects of my life private from others. 
eek.gif

tongue.gif

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #6,093 of 22,116
I just got my HE400 in this afternoon.  I have to tell you that I'm not very impressed.  The only substantial difference that I can hear is a wider soundstage than my moded Monoprice $20 phones.  The one huge drawback is that they just aren't very loud.  I have the iBasso D10 cranked all of the way up to get near my normal listening level.  My Monoprice, Etymotics, and Grado's get cranked less than half way to get to that level.  Is there something wrong with these or is this normal?

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #6,095 of 22,116
Quote:
I just got my HE400 in this afternoon.  I have to tell you that I'm not very impressed.  The only substantial difference that I can hear is a wider soundstage than my moded Monoprice $20 phones.  The one huge drawback is that they just aren't very loud.  I have the iBasso D10 cranked all of the way up to get near my normal listening level.  My Monoprice, Etymotics, and Grado's get cranked less than half way to get to that level.  Is there something wrong with these or is this normal?

Sounds like they need some more power.

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #6,097 of 22,116
Quote:

That's NOT a drawback, you just didn't do enough research beforehand to anticipate how much amping is required. Your own fault.

Planar magnetic headphones are much less efficient than most dynamic headphones, and even though HE400 is the most efficient of the family line, it still isn't (from an absolute standpoint).

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #6,099 of 22,116
Is Nickleback even a real rock band anymore?  :D    :wink:

No, they're pop.  :wink:

Bahahaha. That was the best. I'm Canadian and they play them all the time on rock stations (mostly part in due to the radio regulations) but still.

All mainstream music nowadays is "pop". Doesn't matter it's its hip hop, dance, rock. It's all pop.

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #6,100 of 22,116
Quote:
That's NOT a drawback, you just didn't do enough research beforehand to anticipate how much amping is required. Your own fault.

Planar magnetic headphones are much less efficient than most dynamic headphones, and even though HE400 is the most efficient of the family line, it still isn't (from an absolute standpoint).

OK.  I guess I'll order the Schiit M/M combo.  I read several people say that they were efficient enough to be powered by an iPod or other portable player. 

Quote:
Lol, loudness =/= quality

I never said or even insinuated that. Thanks for your help.

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #6,101 of 22,116
Well I assume there is a good bit of your not liking their sound signature as well.  They can sound very decent out of a recent generation iPod touch/iPhone.  I'm assuming since you have a Grado, you might be accustomed to a brighter sound with upper mid energy.  I said earlier in the thread that the reason lots of people aren't too impressed with the HE-400 right off the bat compared to something that would wow you at very first listen (like a Grado) is because the two take directly opposite approaches to the upper midrange.

Jan 24, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #6,102 of 22,116
Quote:
Lol, loudness =/= quality

Yes, isn't that the truth.

I think on this thread, we should provide the following policy disclaimer:  "Poor product performance experienced by you (the buyer) may be a direct result of you expecting far too much from the product you are buying.  The perceived poor performance can not be directly correlated to the opinions of others who have posted with great excitement on this particular product in this thread."

tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:16 PM Post #6,105 of 22,116
I get great volume even out of the E17!   I might be alone on this, but I think the Schiit M&M is overkill in terms of power... I can barely turn the knob past 9:00 or so without it being too loud.  Does loudness from an amp equate to its power?  Anyway, I think I'm just about set on selling off my M&M...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back