**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 24, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #6,108 of 22,116
Quote:

Yes, isn't that the truth.

I think on this thread, we should provide the following policy disclaimer:  "Poor product performance experienced by you (the buyer) may be a direct result of you expecting far too much from the product you are buying.  The perceived poor performance can not be directly correlated to the opinions of others who have posted with great excitement on this particular product in this thread."

tongue.gif

biggrin.gif

I'm working on the FAQ section. Can I quote you on this Wayne? 

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #6,110 of 22,116
Skip the Schiit Magni. The 5X is too much gain under some conditions and especially depending on source. Don't forget you have to buy cables + adapters if you need them.

The O2, which costs a bit more, has selectable gain (that you can choose), and is, to me anyway, a proven piece of hardware so far. Its also approximately equal in power output, and is "portable". For $285 bucks, you can just buy the O2 with the ODAC built in. $10 bucks more for a power adapter plus cabling you might need.

Personally, between the two, I'd probably stick with the O2 mainly because it offers more flexibility.

Jan 24, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #6,111 of 22,116
Anyone wanna lend me the Beyer J$' pads in like a month? My HE-400 is on loan at the moment...

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #6,114 of 22,116
Quote:
I'll be a critique here and say that you made a mistake making that greyscale. The identity of HE400 lies in its dark blue hue.

Easy now, I did that while at work and the original photo is not even mine! :) I did touch that white speck out of it though. The black and white actually looks quite good on my white phone's lock screen with white and black case.

Here it is...

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #6,115 of 22,116
Quote:
The 5x is not too much gain for the HE-400, not at all, I havn't arrived at a situation where I didn't have enough volume pot play.

I was dissatisfied with the level of gain and the lack of travel on the volume pot, so I bought the attenuators and now I have a usable range up to about 3 o'clock or more. I love it.

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #6,118 of 22,116
I've had my he-400's for a decent amount of time now. I don't really feel like i need an amp. Would and amp really make that much of a difference on the sound presentation? I use a galaxy note 2, it's been rom'd and i have a nice kernel on the phone that lets me use most if not all the hardware features of the wolfson dac. So i've never really delved this far into the headphone spectrum. Kind of a runaway train aspect. Had the hd 598's for like a week and then bought the he 400's from a member here on headfi. Got impatient in waiting, the shipping was fast dont get me wrong I'm just extraordinarily impulsive sometimes and bought the ue 900's locally off of cl. I am very happy with both being powered by my phone. So, would usb out of my phone and and amp improve quality enough and increase the presence of the music on the he 400's? And would a solo fiio e17 be enough? Im looking at ibasso, jdslabs and fiio for my considerations.

Jan 24, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #6,120 of 22,116
Gruiz...the e17 pairs well with the he400 and would be a nice improvement if you have no amp. Certainly worth it and they can often be found mint for about $100 used here which is a steal. The hardware EQ is nice and you'll have a nice portable also.

gL!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back