**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 14, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #5,057 of 22,116
Read a while back Lawtons sound muffled.

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #5,059 of 22,116
I was just looking at, on same page as dt990 discussion last month.

Supposedly velours > * according to that same guy (with the headphones/sunglasses avatar I'm pretty sure. EDIT: Fearless1 is whom I'm referring to)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/3105

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #5,060 of 22,116

Another great song, showing off HE-400 airiness

Jan 14, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #5,061 of 22,116
Quote:

Supposedly velours > * according to that same guy (with the headphones/sunglasses avatar I'm pretty sure. EDIT: Fearless1 is whom I'm referring to)

I see, that was indeed the page I remembered reading awhile back.  Glad his opinion on denon pads matches mine.  I know the d7000 pads are of better quality but they seem to be more or less identical when it comes to size.

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:14 PM Post #5,062 of 22,116
Quote:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751848-REG/E_MU_0204_USB_0204_USB_2_0.html

this is an interesting setup, I have the 202 model and it drives the HE-400s very well. sample rates are insane, 1/4 inch and mini jacks. The unit is geared towards music recording with more features than I'll ever use.....works very well as an outboard sound card /amp
this E-MU company was bought by Creative a few years ago. no optical or coax but solid usb performance.

I also waiting on a Stack, modi/magni setup, does anyone have a photo of the dac interior? just curious about the guts

It shows the maximum headphone output as 16mw... but gain at 60db and headphone impedence at 22ohm.  I don't think that 22ohms is the amplifier impedence though... uh... you might go check that impedence article, but I'm not sure there's enough poop there for the recommended 2w to make the 400's sing (IIRC).

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #5,063 of 22,116
So I finally gave the velour pads two weeks of time and switched back to my pleathers for a few songs to compare.

Wow... I'll never think the pleathers are better again. That blew my mind, not sure what I was hearing when I though velours made the sound worse my first time I tried them on.

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #5,064 of 22,116
Quote:
So I finally gave the velour pads two weeks of time and switched back to my pleathers for a few songs to compare.

Wow... I'll never think the pleathers are better again. That blew my mind, not sure what I was hearing when I though velours made the sound worse my first time I tried them on.

Velours give a cleaner, airier, slightly thinner sound, because it acts as damping to reduce resonance inside the earpad opening. Maybe the "thinner" part got you the first time you switched to the velours from the pleathers.

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #5,066 of 22,116
Jerg:

How has the more open back impacted the sound with HFM velours? And pleathers? Is there anything that's worse with a grill mod (aside from the fact it probably leaks sound more to bystanders, which isn't an issue in an isolated environment)

I see from the photo you took that you're he-400 are stock grills, but the black mask/buffer is removed.

Does that effect the grill (are they glued together) or are they separate pieces that can easily be detached and re-attached if need be?

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #5,067 of 22,116
Quote:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread/3105

Yeah it was me. The Lawtons made the vocals sound muffled to my ears. I also did not love the J-money pads(comfy though), but they were significantly better then the Lawtons on the 400. The only pads that actually sound decent to my ears(besides velours of course) were the stock Dk pads, they seem to retain the same signature as the Hifiman velours.

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #5,068 of 22,116
Quote:
Jerg:

How has the more open back impacted the sound with HFM velours? And pleathers? Is there anything that's worse with a grill mod (aside from the fact it probably leaks sound more to bystanders, which isn't an issue in an isolated environment)

I see from the photo you took that you're he-400 are stock grills, but the black mask/buffer is removed.

Does that effect the grill (are they glued together) or are they separate pieces that can easily be detached and re-attached if need be?

Opener grills allow for less "cupped" sound with the Hifimans regardless of what earpads they use, and give a more airy and clean treble. It's subtle but noticeable. Kind of like how things sound slightly different when you have a hand about 1/2' away from the ear, vs without (not with the headphones on, just your ears).

Yeah the grill mod means virtually no dust protection. That and the slightly extra leakage are IMO the only downsides. The sonic improvement is absolute.

Ripping the fabric off the stock grills is kind of permanent because the adhesive is dried, not goo. Although you could probably put it back with some new glue and no one would tell it apart.

Yeah it was me. The Lawtons made the vocals sound muffled to my ears. I also did not love the J-money pads(comfy though), but they were significantly better then the Lawtons on the 400. The only pads that actually sound decent to my ears(besides velours of course) were the stock Dk pads, they seem to retain the same signature as the Hifiman velours.

But the J$ pads you tried were for Denons were they not? J$ Beyer pads are a whole different story.

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:52 PM Post #5,069 of 22,116
Quote:

What I'm finding,  I'm about to order a few extra pairs of the stock pads from lawton so I'll have some extra pads and so my d2k isn't sitting around without em.

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:56 PM Post #5,070 of 22,116
how does yhe E07k compare to the E17?

The two are actually very close. The amp section on the e17 measures a touch better but honestly I can't hear the difference. I'll call the e07k a bit warmer and the e17 a bit more clean. Very small differences though. Both get my stamp of approval.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back