**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 14, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #5,071 of 22,116

This'll be my last song post for a while, but I love this track. And so much on he-400 with FLAC. The ringing is great.

I'm curious too. if Fearless1 tried J$ denon or beyers with he-400.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #5,072 of 22,116
okay I just got my 400's with velours, i'm using e17.. as a deaf basshead things i instantly notice.. e17 can't make these go THAT loud.. and if there's too much bass at high volumes it will distort, is this the amp or the headphones? Can anyone with a glorious amp turn these up on a bass HEAVY song @ club volume without clear distortion in the bass? Don't get me wrong at lower volumes (without 12 gain) the bass is great but once I get it to headbanging volumes the bass just distorts like no tomorrow given the song is bass heavy or the bass EQ is on

Like my philips fidelio x1/sony xb700 could deliver THUNDEROUS body shaking bass at high volumes without distortion.. but with this it seems like i can't get that loud full body club bass effect, I'm not sure if it's an amp issue or just the headphones

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #5,074 of 22,116
Quote:
okay I just got my 400's with velours, i'm using e17.. as a deaf basshead things i instantly notice.. e17 can't make these go THAT loud.. and if there's too much bass at high volumes it will distort, is this the amp or the headphones? Can anyone with a glorious amp turn these up on a bass HEAVY song @ club volume without clear distortion in the bass? Don't get me wrong at lower volumes (without 12 gain) the bass is great but once I get it to headbanging volumes the bass just distorts like no tomorrow given the song is bass heavy or the bass EQ is on

Like my philips fidelio x1/sony xb700 could deliver THUNDEROUS body shaking bass at high volumes without distortion.. but with this it seems like i can't get that loud full body club bass effect, I'm not sure if it's an amp issue or just the headphones

What did you put the bass boost on? It's been recommended not to go past +4.

Jan 14, 2013 at 10:53 PM Post #5,075 of 22,116
Quote:

I havn't had experience with distortion at higher volumes in the bass with the HE-400 and my amps.  Tested on Little Dot MKII, Objective O2 and Schiit Magni. 

You'd be surprised, but a lot of that thunderous rumble type bass in headphones is actually massive distortion.  

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #5,076 of 22,116
Quote:

<video>
This'll be my last song post for a while, but I love this track. And so much on he-400 with FLAC. The ringing is great.

I'm curious too. if Fearless1 tried J$ denon or beyers with he-400.

Love me some BoC!

This one is probably my favorites by them:

I love how you can just feel that sub-bass coming through on the synth that keeps repeating.

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #5,077 of 22,116
Quote:

What did you put the bass boost on? It's been recommended not to go past +4.

Depends on the song usually 0 but treble -10, some bass heavy songs distort with no EQ at all, but usually im on 6 or 12 gain to achieve the volume i desire... so I think the gain is what's causing the distortion
Quote:

I havn't had experience with distortion at higher volumes in the bass with the HE-400 and my amps.  Tested on Little Dot MKII, Objective O2 and Schiit Magni. 

You'd be surprised, but a lot of that thunderous rumble type bass in headphones is actually massive distortion.  

Interesting.. we may have different definitions of loud though (im talking the loud deep high pressured subwoofer bass you'd get at a club) or maybe e17 with gain just causes massive distortion .. not sure though, to me these feel like headphones that are meant to be enjoyed at lower volumes/can't handle LOUD+bass

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #5,078 of 22,116
2 types of distortion: 1) harmonic distortion, 2) improper driver movement distortion (fizzing out basically).

1) is what that causes boominess / rumbliness in certain headphones with bass, that stands out from what headphones with very tight controlled neutral bass sound like. Basically when a 50Hz tone is played on headphones with high bass total harmonic distortion, you're hearing half 50Hz bass, half "junk" (bass of other frequencies in different harmonics), this causes the boom/rumble, aka dirty looseness to the quality.

2) is when the driver simply cannot physically handle the piston action of very strong bass analog signals and peters out, so instead of bass, you hear something hollow and off.

There is also a 3) which doesn't really count, is when the amp clips, but that is not a flaw with the headphone but just ****ty signal because the amp doesn't have enough juice.

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #5,081 of 22,116
Since we're uping some 400's friendly tracks... I think I posted this in the wooow thread and not this one, sorry if it's a duplicate. 

These cans are nice on horns - I find horns hot in the real world, and this track sounds on to me.  Good exercise on both ends of the scale and well recorded.

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:09 PM Post #5,083 of 22,116
Quote:
Depends on the song usually 0 but treble -10, some bass heavy songs distort with no EQ at all, but usually im on 6 or 12 gain to achieve the volume i desire... so I think the gain is what's causing the distortion
Interesting.. we may have different definitions of loud though (im talking the loud deep high pressured subwoofer bass you'd get at a club) or maybe e17 with gain just causes massive distortion .. not sure though, to me these feel like headphones that are meant to be enjoyed at lower volumes/can't handle LOUD+bass

I can't really say.  I know for one that, headphones will never produce subwoofer like bass.  They might be able to produce subwoofer like tone and depth, but never the visceral impact or omniprescence-- as it is only your ears receiving the bass, compared to a subwoofer, where it can go through a floor, make your stomach fluids resonate etc.

Also, a lot of subwoofers have distortion numbers way higher than what good performing headphones have.  HE-400's bass has thd that's well under 1%, which would probably be near impossible for a subwoofer.  It's the reason why you see lot of audiophiles get up in arms over subwoofers.  They can be hard to integrate, have too much distortion etc.  Make no mistake though, having a well performing and well integrated one is ideal though.

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #5,084 of 22,116
Quote:
2 types of distortion: 1) harmonic distortion, 2) improper driver movement distortion (fizzing out basically).

1) is what that causes boominess / rumbliness in certain headphones with bass, that stands out from what headphones with very tight controlled neutral bass sound like. Basically when a 50Hz tone is played on headphones with high bass total harmonic distortion, you're hearing half 50Hz bass, half "junk" (bass of other frequencies in different harmonics), this causes the boom/rumble, aka dirty looseness to the quality.

2) is when the driver simply cannot physically handle the piston action of very strong bass analog signals and peters out, so instead of bass, you hear something hollow and off.

There is also a 3) which doesn't really count, is when the amp clips, but that is not a flaw with the headphone but just ****ty signal because the amp doesn't have enough juice.

so headphones with very tight bass (like he-400s) can produce nice deep subwoofer like club bass.. but only at moderate volumes, since they lack the 1) that looser/basshead headphones get at higher volumes which replicates something you'd hear in a loud boomy car subwoofer system, something he-400 can't do? so even with no eq or anything, turn a deep dubstep song to HIGH club volume.. on any amp and the he-400's bass will sound like crap/distortion opposed to deep subwoofer rumble that loose headphones can provide? Even if you've heard something like a sony xb700 on high volumes(with bass eq, as they respond to eq VERY well)/bassy song you'll know what i mean

Even my ie8's can go reach LOUD volumes of deep bass with ZERO distortion, I guess that's a bit different though

Jan 14, 2013 at 11:26 PM Post #5,085 of 22,116
Quote:
It's ok, the tonality is akin to HE500, just a lot less refined or detailed.

Definitely not buying it to compete with my HE-400, I'm just addicted to collecting and I do like to listen to different headphones a lot of the time. From what I hear they're one of the better, if slightly overlooked, values in dynamics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back