**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #3,556 of 22,116
Quote:
If you are being facetious, then you are mocking the idea that burn-in is imaginary ?

The point here is that there is an emotional fad lately that says - subconsciously, not consciously:

It's interesting that this fad coincides with a new generation who have grown up listening to worse and worse sound quality in the form of MP3s on iPods and ear buds, and who have become entirely disconnected from any reference point of sound quality in the form of live acoustic music.  At the same time, media like CNN and the New York Times have strongly encouraged people in general to express opinions on anything and everything, rather than the previous standard of only commenting on something within one's expertise.

The result is that threads like these are increasingly cluttered by people expressing opinions on things that they know absolutely nothing about, and doubling down by trying to support opinions when they are wrong.

Take it from an expert source then, Merriam and Webster: Facetious: joking or jesting often inappropriately

I was expressing an opinion and enjoying myself at the same time, is that OK in a complicated world? Sound and Sound equipment are not = Complex Automobiles. Hence inappropriateness. Yet, it was funny (to me and others I would hope).

Those that took offense are entitled to their opinions, facts, and emotions. If anything is clear to me, it is that "pure science" and "pure marketing" (of ideas and of course products), is an increasingly conflated or distorted practice which makes faith, even in fact, extremely difficult. Facts are easy to manipulate at times to serve ideas, and ideas are far more elegant constructions that are also difficult to deconstruct as some facts will support them. There is always the crisis of making a choice. I suspect it has something to do with people resisting the obvious problem that rational thought and facts will only ever get us so far. More importantly, I think that there will always be more problems in observance than there will be facts to describe or to solve them. Given my experience of head-fi, I remain skeptical of the value of burn-in. Moving on . . . ?

Your comments RE: people's ability to "avoid" reality and fact by hating on wealthier headfiers or those with listening "skills" is curiously divisive considering that there are many means of measuring performance of equipment as well as ears in an objective way. I noticed your self-professed bias for "live acoustic music" as the "only reference" of value in terms of evaluating the performance of, what . . . headphones? I hope you mean live acoustic music such as a symphony hall, and not a concert that includes mixers, amplifiers, and bright lights. There is no comparison really, and even an honest attempt to "match" the performance will fail, unless the criteria is carefully determined, isolated, and analyzed. The reductionism implicit in this process almost gaurantees that we will all be left impressed, but "wanting" for more - without doing the rational thing, like going to an actual acoustic performance.

Suddenly, the value of the crappy iPod is apparent. More music reaching more people, when they want it, how loud they want it, etc. Rather than attempt to coerce preference (by demanding they select only that which sounds closest to "real life"), we attempt to let the individual decide. As you note, perhaps the "real" benchmark should be the millions of cheap Mp3s, iPods, and skull candy buds. If that is what "the people" and by extension "the market" deem to be the reference standard for modern music, well, your preference for concert starts to seem quite particular. Yet you are critical of those people that not only "don't get it", but buy crap off the shelf rather than pouring in their learning and resource. What goes around comes around. I don't come here to debate the "facts" or to get "the facts". Forums are nothing but imperfect mediums for bringing persons with similar interests together. I consider it a social platform first, and a "fact" platform last.

But the fact is, I need to get back on a discussion of the HE-400s! I am glad I caught your attention K, but I did not start the "burn-in" digression.
deadhorse.gif

Dec 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #3,557 of 22,116
Quote:
That had to be the most in-depth review I have ever read.
By far.

You are quite correct.  At one point, I felt the review was so long-winded, I had to take a break from looking at my monitor, so I wouldn't fall asleep.  Additionally, the 2nd half didn't fully register, since I'm a bit tired at the moment.  I'll be back in the morning to read the 2nd half.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #3,558 of 22,116
Quote:
My much anticipated and very in-depth review of the objective combo vs entry level schiit combo is now up:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/642401/comparison-and-review-o2-odac-vs-magni-modi

Enjoy.

Awesome review. Unfortunately, I invested in an O2+ODAC combo before this came out, so I paid more than I apparently had to. Even so, good to know that there is now a great $200 dollar combo out there that really performs.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #3,559 of 22,116
Don't feel bad, O2+ODAC is the tried and true at least!

Dec 23, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #3,562 of 22,116
So far, like the HE400 on the Magni, but its the first time I noticed just how wonderful the SA-31 is for the HE400. Still, it's $100 vs $500. Lol.

Dec 23, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #3,564 of 22,116
Not sure you'd dig it though. You didn't exactly like the O2 with the HE-400 right? I'm willing to bet you'd have the same experience with the Magni.

Dec 23, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #3,565 of 22,116
Anybody have any opinions whether the magni will sound better than the built in amp of the audinst hud-mx1?

I'm using the he-400 straight out of the hud-mx1 and it sounds fabulous. Much better than hud-mx1 -> e9 -> He-400, probably has something to do with the high output impedance of the e9.

I'm very content with the current sound quality, however the magni is cheap. And I'm all for extra sound quality ofcourse!

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:41 PM Post #3,568 of 22,116
Just pulled the trigger on the free next day shipping + free velour pad deal on the he-400s (off of headamp), as well as the schiit magni and modi. First time purchasing headphones above $30....
How was the first time you guys experienced "audiophile"-quality headphones?

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #3,569 of 22,116
Quote:

From what I've seen, and read, I think they are awfully close.  The Lawton pads might have a slight advantage on the thickness - but, I only suspect that to be the case.  The J$ are $75.00 a pair and the Lawton pads are $99.00.  The prices don't include shipping.

Can you still buy the J$ pads though? Lawton Audio obviously is still selling their's but I don't see the J$ anywhere.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #3,570 of 22,116
Quote:

Can you still buy the J$ pads though? Lawton Audio obviously is still selling their's but I don't see the J$ anywhere.

The only J$ pads left are Beyer ones, and even those there are probably only a dozen or two left (if any). The guy making them is shutting the J$ operation down and is selling the remaining stock at 50% off at the moment. I PM'd him earlier today, hopefully I'm not too late.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back