**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 24, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #3,571 of 22,116
Just pulled the trigger on the free next day shipping + free velour pad deal on the he-400s (off of headamp), as well as the schiit magni and modi. First time purchasing headphones above $30....
How was the first time you guys experienced "audiophile"-quality headphones?

You will enjoy it a lot!

As long as source files/material are good

Dec 24, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #3,572 of 22,116
Quote:
Just pulled the trigger on the free next day shipping + free velour pad deal on the he-400s (off of headamp), as well as the schiit magni and modi. First time purchasing headphones above $30....

ive got them running now, shipping in the morning

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Dec 24, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #3,573 of 22,116
Quote:

ive got them running now, shipping in the morning

Justin, It is morning already.  Granted, I have the HE-400s, but I also realize you are just a 2-hour drive from where I live, which can be awfully tempting for some of the other goodies you offer.  Then again, if I tell my wife I'm just heading out for a casual trip to Monticello, she might be a bit more understanding -- and then ask why do I need the Visa card for the trip.

Happy Holidays & Merry Christmas!

Dec 24, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #3,574 of 22,116

Be warned. You may wet your pants...seriously.

Dec 24, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #3,575 of 22,116
Quote:

In my experience with the HE-400, and for that matter every headphone/iem I've ever owned, It doesn't wow you at first, but then it slowly grows on you and before you know it you're in awe of what you're hearing. 

Even now, about two months after receiving these, they still have that wow factor.

Dec 24, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #3,576 of 22,116
I've had plenty of wow moments and the he400 was one of the best. The reproduction of instruments is impressive. The separation of everything on the sound stage is wonderful. But...the beautifully textured layered bass that has that visceral pact was the wow moment for me.

Dec 24, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #3,577 of 22,116
Quote:

In my experience with the HE-400, and for that matter every headphone/iem I've ever owned, It doesn't wow you at first, but then it slowly grows on you and before you know it you're in awe of what you're hearing. 

Even now, about two months after receiving these, they still have that wow factor.

I have to disagree, especially comparing to other open headphones the HE-400 have a big wow factor.

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #3,579 of 22,116
I've heard too many good sounding headphones before the he-400 for the he-400 to completely wow me.  When I first heard them, I knew they were a great sounding headphone, but I never got the wow factor.  Upon my first couple hours of listening, I gradually grew to realize that they were just better and better, but still never got the wow.

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #3,580 of 22,116
Quote:

Can you still buy the J$ pads though? Lawton Audio obviously is still selling their's but I don't see the J$ anywhere.

I'll be posting some J$ leather Denon angle pads in a couple of hours in the F/S section.  I have two pair that I'll be posting.  One is "A" stock and the other is a "B" stock - still great, none-the-less.      That was quick.  
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #3,581 of 22,116
Quote:
The Denon D5000 wowed me big time the first time I heard them. They were by far the best cans I'd heard up to that point.

After having the HE400s, I heard the D5000's (two pairs, one was vanilla, other was markl modded) at a meet for the first time and they sounded just...bad. Low-fi almost.

On the other hand, at the same meet I was wow'd with LCD3 and HE6. Those cans are at another level.

Dec 24, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #3,582 of 22,116
I think it depends where you are coming from. I didn't find a wow factor with the HE400 but the signature is also not for me so that may have something to do with it. 

As for the Denons the only one worth hearing imo is the D7k and I remember liking the D1001 when I had them a while back.

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #3,584 of 22,116
Quote:

Have you experienced "audiophile"-quality speakers?

Higher quality audio is generally about less, not more.

So, people who do not know what to look for, may be disappointed.

Cheap and poorly designed equipment adds to the sound, with the result being that it does not sound like the real instrument sounds in real life.

( About the only thing that any person will experience as "better" in a high-end audio system, is a very high power amplifier - like a Macintosh 2300 - feeding very wide range speaker system - the dynamics, especially of the bass, fit the average person's "wow" sensibility. )

Dec 24, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #3,585 of 22,116
The HE400 and D7000 were really the only two headphones that wowed me...like jaw dropping. Everything else I've loved but always had something that bothered me, like too much treble, etc. The HD650 is the first to wow me solely on vocals, but not overall like on the levels of the first two I mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back