**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 20, 2012 at 9:07 PM Post #3,511 of 22,116
Quote:
Hmm I Rockbox'ed my Sansa Zip and wow, with a little new tweaking thanks to the freedom of options I made this thing sound so much better on my HE-400's (And it goes up much louder).

Never knew Rockbox made that much difference. Not going to replace my Portable DAC/AMP but its definitely heading in the right direction. Pretty amazed how this tiny thing does so well with the sound.

With regards to the Sansa devices, have they improved the battery life when using Rockbox?  I knew it was an issue in the past where the juice would get eaten up quicker.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #3,512 of 22,116
I know that my rockbox iPod had good battery life. Don't know about the sanza devices though. I would like to change it over if the firmware is stable for my clip zip. Checking now.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #3,513 of 22,116
A little off topic. We're getting ready to head out for the holiday in a few days. So I'm sitting here thinking about what if any audio gear I'd like to throw in my tote bag. My clip zip is coming as will my trusty earbuds. But what about any full sized hp's? The only one that I like to take with me is the sturdy maddogs, but they are out for recabling. So I resigned myself for the zip plus some earbuds. 

Then I see sitting in my daughters room, my old pair of panasonic htf600's. She's had them for better than six months and I had actually completely forgotten about them. So I grabbed them and my zip and popped them in for a quick listen...mostly out of curiosity. I must say that the htf600 is likely the best $30 you can spend in this hobby. They are a touch warm and a touch dark, but just ever so slightly. Man, the bass hits good on those. Not flabby cheap sounding bass either. Definitely layered bass. The mids are a bit weak, but come on...it's $30!! 

Now I have a full sized hp that I can toss in my bag and travel with in case I have any head-time over the holiday.  
biggrin.gif

Speaking of...Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!! 

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #3,514 of 22,116
Quote:
(Sorry all I had to give my take on burn-in).
wink_face.gif
I believe in change/wear, I just don't believe its what you want . . .

You do realize that some car manufacturers recommend not to drive the car over 50 or 60 mph until the engine is broken in ?

It was a widespread recommendation about 20 years ago (but since you couldn't read yet back then, you wouldn't know).

Try again.

You might look for an alternate universe where materials never wear...

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #3,515 of 22,116
A little off topic. We're getting ready to head out for the holiday in a few days. So I'm sitting here thinking about what if any audio gear I'd like to throw in my tote bag. My clip zip is coming as will my trusty earbuds. But what about any full sized hp's? The only one that I like to take with me is the sturdy maddogs, but they are out for recabling. So I resigned myself for the zip plus some earbuds. 

Then I see sitting in my daughters room, my old pair of panasonic htf600's. She's had them for better than six months and I had actually completely forgotten about them. So I grabbed them and my zip and popped them in for a quick listen...mostly out of curiosity. I must say that the htf600 is likely the best $30 you can spend in this hobby. They are a touch warm and a touch dark, but just ever so slightly. Man, the bass hits good on those. Not flabby cheap sounding bass either. Definitely layered bass. The mids are a bit weak, but come on...it's $30!! 

Now I have a full sized hp that I can toss in my bag and travel with in case I have any head-time over the holiday.  :D

Speaking of...Merry Christmas and happy holidays to everyone!! 

I'll spend the extra $15 for the KSC35. Juuuuust saying. Portable HD650s with a touch of sparkle. Yes please. :D

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #3,516 of 22,116
Quote:
You do realize that some car manufacturers recommend not to drive the car over 50 or 60 mph until the engine is broken in ?

It was a widespread recommendation about 20 years ago (but since you couldn't read yet back then, you wouldn't know).

Try again.

You might look for an alternate universe where materials never wear...

You sound bitter. Do you also realize that modern engines are also banging off their redline before they ever leave the factory? Do you think anyone actually follows the manual-recommended break in procedure? Do you think that modern engineers are incapable of designing autos with modern electronics and materials that won't self-destruct when forced to burn corn-alcohol, low octane gas, water-laced gas, or that get floored when temperatures are -10 F and the engine is cold? Do you think billion dollar auto companies don't design cars as if people will frequently fail to "break them in correctly"? Have you seen the commercial of a Toyota Tundra being misused as a tow truck for a NASA space shuttle? Do you understand the concept of human/manufacturing hypocrisy?

I can play this game too.

The fact is, I acknowledged wear and tear. My opinion was that it is not "desirable" as slaves to the burn-in concept seem to think. It spells death of a machine, not "machine improvement". Wearing out a speaker diaphragm is just that - wearing it out. It is even more dubious to assume that after hours of electrons flowing through a solid state device, it will be magically transformed into a better performing device.
Also, I was being facetious in that post, so don't take it personally. If you could reed gud, youde have got that. Thx.
beerchug.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #3,517 of 22,116
Quote:
^^ I didn't think that there was a stable port for the zip yet??

Its not called "Stable" but they claim its fine for daily audio usage.

Which is exactly what I use it for, Audio. No more or less. And if you use it to play your music then its works flawlessly.

I read about it before installing to make sure and people have been using it just fine on a daily basis so its safe to assume it should be fine.

Dec 21, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #3,520 of 22,116
Quote:
I use my Fuze V2 daily without it just fine.

I was also using my Clip Zip just fine with out it.

The only difference is now I am using it "Just finer" with it. If you like to tweak and want the maximum from your MP3 player, I say its a worthy (And free, unlike most audiophile things) investment.

Dec 21, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #3,521 of 22,116
Quote:

With regards to the Sansa devices, have they improved the battery life when using Rockbox?  I knew it was an issue in the past where the juice would get eaten up quicker.

Actually when playing FLAC files, the battery are able to last longer with my Rockboxed Clip Zip. The Clip Zips are surely a keeper for me. Too bad there is no cheap PMP that can play 24/96  without down sampling currently in the market (although I heard Fiio X3 will be able to).

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #3,522 of 22,116
Quote:

I have a similar setup to your father's, and after reading your comments on your main rig you make me want to upgrade!

You have a better source though :wink:
The cowon J3 (not S9, this used to be my PMP, his is the J3...) is very weak in volume output so I have to put the gain at +20dB on the m-stage, which is not the best (increases noise).

Anyway, output level aside, the O2 should be (much) better in a technical standpoint.

I should try the m-stage with the Metrum Quad sometimes. I'm just too lazy to do it and prefer enjoying my 500s :p

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:37 AM Post #3,523 of 22,116
Quote:
The 5LEs sound more like the 500s.  The 4's sond more like.  Get this....  The 6s  ha ha ha....

I read your contribution on the HE-5LE/HE-500 comparison thread.

You seem to have a very different experience from the others who heard the 2 (and the opinion I, myself, made of their respective sound signature when reading various comments).

I tend to think the 5LEs and the 4s are more alike than different, in the sense they both are "clean-souding" headphones, maybe treble-oriented. The 4s have a V-shaped frequency response and a recessed mids compared to the 5LEs but I feel the clean and airy (yet intimate) presnetation make the 4s closer to the 5LEs than the 500s. The 500s trade the clean sound for a more lush sound, with more tonal hue and saturation and slightly warmer.

To be certain, I should buy the 5LE a make my own opinion, with my own ears and preferences (that's all what matters in the end :D).

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #3,525 of 22,116
Quote:
I was also using my Clip Zip just fine with out it.

The only difference is now I am using it "Just finer" with it. If you like to tweak and want the maximum from your MP3 player, I say its a worthy (And free, unlike most audiophile things) investment.

Just curious about why you like it better. For me with ipod, of course I wanted to play flac files and have full control to drag and drop those files on the ipod whenever I wanted. What's the big difference with the clip where you can already drag and drop flac files? Just asking. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back