**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 20, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #3,481 of 22,116
I'm not looking for another Hifiman, TBH. I love their HE-4 and HE-400, but I'm fed up with the design/build already. If I get rid of my HE-400, it's gonna be for the Philips Fidelio X1 (actually will be getting these next month). If they're as good as I think they'll be, and assuming they fit my large noggin, the HE-400s will be going up for sale. Ironically, the X1 seems to be almnost as heavy as the HE400, but the pads are deeper and WAY better FWIR. If the X1 doesn't work, I'm going with the K702/65 which is like almost half the weight of the HE-400. If THAT doesn't work, then it's back to the HD650s.

Something about the Hifiman's fit that is starting to bother me. The HE-4 is an exception. The combo if lightweight+old soft velours, make them amazing for comfort.

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #3,483 of 22,116
@MLE: the HE-4 with the old soft velours were top notch in term of comfort! Too bad the new pads (even the pleather in this particular case) improve the sound (the soundstage mainly) at the expense of comfort... I never tried the new velours, I put my 500's pleathers to replace the old and dusty velours of the HE-4.

@prepoman: that's odd, the specs on head-direct seem to say the opposite... ? Both have the exact same specs, with one exception: the sensitivity is reduced by 1.5dB on the 4s (due to them only having half the magnets).

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #3,485 of 22,116
Quote:
@MLE: the HE-4 with the old soft velours were top notch in term of comfort! Too bad the new pads (even the pleather in this particular case) improve the sound (the soundstage mainly) at the expense of comfort... I never tried the new velours, I put my 500's pleathers to replace the old and dusty velours of the HE-4.

@prepoman: that's odd, the specs on head-direct seem to say the opposite... ? Both have the exact same specs, with one exception: the sensitivity is reduced by 1.5dB on the 4s (due to them only having half the magnets).

The 5LEs sound more like the 500s.  The 4's sond more like.  Get this....  The 6s  ha ha ha....

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #3,486 of 22,116
Quote:
I predict Mad Lust Envy to sell the HE-400s and re-buy them two more times by March.

I'll take that bet. Let's start a pool. 
tongue.gif
 Love ya' MLE...
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:48 AM Post #3,487 of 22,116
Quote:

In terms of power, I cannot give an accurate value. I'm not even sure it has anything to do with the power output of my amps since there was not much difference between the m-stage (400mW) and the Fostex HP-A3 (100mW) in term of how loud they could drive the 500s and the resulting bass slam / dynamic they produced.

The thing is, switching from the HP-A3 to the Metrum Quad + SA-31 combo made a HUGE difference in term of soundstage and slam (+ improvement pretty much on all aspects). It sounds so much bigger and with a greater authority, yet the SA-31 - being a "diamond-difference" design - does not sound "tight" in the strict sense of the word.

I had a quick and unfair experience the other day: switch from Cowon S9 + m-stage + HE-400 (dad's setup) to my Quad + SA-31 + HE-500 => "Wow!". Man! When you switch from a lesser setup (which people might say is already (really) good) back to your main setup, the "WoW" factor remains intact! I almost shed tears! :D

Note: my dad's setup does not exhibit the mids "flaw" with the HE-400, though still dark, the male voices sound less heavy.

I have a similar setup to your father's, and after reading your comments on your main rig you make me want to upgrade!

Dec 20, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #3,488 of 22,116
I'm all for this, assuming one of you gives me a share of the profits. :D

But in all honesty, if I sell the HE-400s this time, that means I will also be looking into selling the SA-31 as well. I don't have the funds nor patience to have so much gear, and I wanna get into a minimalistic approach.

If the X1 ends up being a keeper, I won't need the ridiculous power of the SA-31. Well, not like I need it now.

Honestly, I just don't use my music setup much. I use my headphones mostly for gaming, and tv show/movies. The HE-400 isn't the best at neither of these things (more in practicality, not necessarily sound quality). That, and I can't really lay down with them. That's what the Yuin G1A is for.

Hell, I'd sell my Desktop for a 1920x1080 laptop, as well as selling my monitor as well. I really wanna trim down my setup. Would love to have a nice laptop with my Modi/magni stack, and that's all I want on my computer desk. Well, I'd go for a Bifrost/Asgard stack instead, but the Bifrost is $100 too much for me.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #3,490 of 22,116
I still say you need to try out the LCD-2 with velours before it's all said and done.

Maybe you're right. But dat price... and not sold on Amazon = no go.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #3,492 of 22,116
That's $200 out of my own money. Wasn't an easy decision. No way I can personally afford the LCD2. The X1 is different. I'll be using the Paypal Bill Me Later stuff ($630 max, $400 currently owed due to the SA-31 and ODAC purchase, which I'll be paying off with my 2 week vacation buy back money hopefully on my next check), which doesn't have a high enough limit to splurge on LCD2s. Also, I want mostly a gaming, TV/movie can. The LCD2 isn't known to be good for that, in terms of soundstage and positioning.

Believe it or not, I only make $9.25 an hour at the moment. Riding on the HE-400 sale to soften the purchase of the X1. Assuming I do sell the HE-400, which may not even happen. I'm still waiting on it to come back to me. Head-Direct is taking their sweet time.

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #3,493 of 22,116
"The password is, fidelio." -Eyes Wide Shut

Users who are viewing this thread

Back