**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #3,497 of 22,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerg

So HE4(treble)+400(bass)+500(mids), by their powers combined, translates to HE6?

Quote:
Yep.  You hit it spot on.

Or, for roughly the cost of a new pair of HifiMAN HE-6 heapdhones, you could buy the HE-4, the HE-400 and the HE-500 -- all of them on the used market. 
tongue.gif

Use a bit of EQ, and tailor the sound (where possible) to suit your needs. 
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #3,498 of 22,116
Quote:

Or, for roughly the cost of a new pair of HifiMAN HE-6 heapdhones, you could buy the HE-4, the HE-400 and the HE-500 -- all of them on the used market. 
tongue.gif

Use a bit of EQ, and tailor the sound (where possible) to suit your needs. 
wink.gif

Maybe, but the HE-4s hardly show up on the used market.  At least I never see them.

Dec 20, 2012 at 4:33 PM Post #3,499 of 22,116
So I walked into this Sony store today... they were selling "Sony X headphones" and since I'm into audio and enjoy trying new things, I decided to go in and see what these are, maybe they aren't that bad?

Well the guys selling these things were so arrogant... I went into just to try them out and see how they were (Its a store dedicated to this one headphone) and one of them asked me what I'm wearing, I told him, and they told me it can't possibly sound as good as Sony X. They asked me how much it was, I said $400 and they laughed at me, tried them on and claimed the Sony X are no comparison better.

Now in a way I expected it, since I was just with my Sansa Zip and no other gear. And to a certain extend I could see how judging from the 5 seconds they gave em, they could claim it was better in certain areas, but they wouldn't listen to logical at all. They didn't know what an AMP/DAC/Sound Card was and when I tried to explain how heaphones work and some need to be driven, etc they calimed it was false info.  They didn't know any terms (High's/Mid's/Low's) and all they kept repeating was "Your headphones have no Bass, They suck!"

*Sigh* I left the store cause I can't argue with those people, but now I NEED to buy a good portable DAC/AMP since I never want a situation like that to happen again ^_^ At home the HE-400's have amazing Bass and the sound quality destroys those Sony X's, now I just need to find something that can try and provide the same on the go.

Sooo... Point of this post, what's a good portable AMP/DAC combo for the HE-400's + Sansa Zip?

In the $100 range preferably... After I get it I'm going back there ^_^

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #3,503 of 22,116
If you mean 3.5mm to 6.3mm (1/4") adapter, yes. Why would a headphone have an RCA adapter?RCA outs arent meant for headphones, a d may not even have volume control. Pre-amp outs do, but its made for speakers, etc.

In the headphone world, having use of an RCA out means youre using a headphone amp in between the RCA out and the headphone.

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #3,504 of 22,116
Quote:
If you mean 3.5mm to 6.3mm (1/4") adapter, yes. Why would a headphone have an RCA adapter?RCA outs arent meant for headphones, a d may not even have volume control. Pre-amp outs do, but its made for speakers, etc.
In the headphone world, having use of an RCA out means youre using a headphone amp in between the RCA out and the headphone.

Just trying to find some clarification for the Schiit magni, as i plan on getting the he-400's with the M&M combo. So i think i said it wrong

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #3,505 of 22,116
Ah, well the HE400 will plug right onto the Magni as it comes with a 1/4" adapter.

Dec 20, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #3,506 of 22,116
I bought a brand new, 2012 Lamborgini this year.

As is standard practice, however, I paid a man to drive it a minimum of 100,000 miles at varying speeds in order to "burn-in" its sophisticated parts. Admittedly, when I first drove it, I found the ride a bit harsh, sightlines where restricted, and it wasn't really that fast compared to my Ferrari. It also felt like the seats smelled faintly of boot polish, and it seemed to use a lot of gas. I was thinking about trading it in for a used Audi S8 (which has a way smoother ride, superior ambiance, and room for even MORE people!). 

Well, now that I got the car back, I can't believe how AWESOME it is! It rides like a limo, seems to merge onto highway traffic effortlessly, and I swear I'm getting about 30 Mpg (though I don't bother to actually check). Best of all, the car has WAY more personality of its own which totally alters the driving experiance. There are knicks, scratches, and chipped paint on the nose that just scream "used" to the world, and I had no idea the base coat was gray. I think the slight fender rust has actually improved aerodynamics, which you will notice cause the car to lift off the ground at 200+ mph. I love the mushy gear engagement (the transmission is less grabby than before), bald tires, and distant belt noise has entered into the exquisite driving "experience". I could go on and on. Just buy it! 

(Sorry all I had to give my take on burn-in).
wink_face.gif
I believe in change/wear, I just don't believe its what you want . . .

Dec 20, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #3,508 of 22,116
The best argument for burn-in is probably that it will speed up the chance that, if your product is defective, it will blow-up early so you can get it replaced before the warranty / return period expires.
beerchug.gif

My HE-400s were impressive when I first put them on, and I like them even more now.

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #3,509 of 22,116
Hmm I Rockbox'ed my Sansa Zip and wow, with a little new tweaking thanks to the freedom of options I made this thing sound so much better on my HE-400's (And it goes up much louder).

Never knew Rockbox made that much difference. Not going to replace my Portable DAC/AMP but its definitely heading in the right direction. Pretty amazed how this tiny thing does so well with the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back