**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 18, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #3,376 of 22,116
^^ Don't be shamed...shoeless Raven. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #3,377 of 22,116
Quote:
Well the EQ'd AD700 is 3db down from 100-1000hz, and 6db down in the upper mids.  On most songs I can comfortably adjust volume to just over 9 o'clock with it.  Un-EQ'd AD700 is just under 9 o'clock.

Something high DR like say, Aqualung, I can get up to 10 o'clock with EQ'd AD700, and 9 o'clock without EQ.

I'm sure the HE-400 is as other people say, safe up to around 10-11 o'clock.

I don't really want to know if there is a noise floor, because I don't think I'll ever put my volume pot that high.  Without music playing however, I don't notice any noise no matter how high I turn it.

No pics for now until I get that other set of feet.

Yeah that's the kind of noise floor I was talking about, I don't expect you to actually play noise at that volume haha.

Power-wise that sounds ridiculous for the price... almost makes me want to trade in my Asgard for one.

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:55 PM Post #3,378 of 22,116
Well I wouldn't take volume pot positions too seriously for power overhead.  Different amps have different sensitivities to dial positions.  I remember O2 playing about the same with my AD700 at those lower positions.  I'm sure the Magni can get louder fast at higher positions though.  I know I'd push the O2 to around 3 o'clock sometimes with EQ'd HE-400 and high dr songs.

One thing for sure is, these things are definitely more revealing in the upper treble compared to imac's onboard sound.  Really brings out some of the distortion artifacts and tape hiss on some of my one piece soundtracks.

Enough useless comparisons for now though, hopefully I can get to the real deal tomorrow.

Oh yeah, the magni's light is way brighter than modi's light.  That is one nit-picky thing.

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #3,379 of 22,116
Hey guys, sorry if my post might derail the thread but I am starting to look into a closed headphones that have similarities with the HE-400.
The problem is that I leave my HE-400 at home meanwhile I use the M-50s at work and when I'm using the M-50s I really miss the sound of HE-400 so bad.

And no, I cannot bring my HE-400 to work since it will be such a hassle and the sound would disturb my working neighbors.

Advices are appreciated!

Dec 18, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #3,380 of 22,116
Quote:
Hey guys, sorry if my post might derail the thread but I am starting to look into a closed headphones that have similarities with the HE-400.
The problem is that I leave my HE-400 at home meanwhile I use the M-50s at work and when I'm using the M-50s I really miss the sound of HE-400 so bad.

And no, I cannot bring my HE-400 to work since it will be such a hassle and the sound would disturb my working neighbors.

Advices are appreciated!

Mad Dog T50RP might be what you're looking for.

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #3,382 of 22,116
Quote:

Great closed hp!! They want have the same level of bass as he400 even with dogpadz. But still very very good. Great isolation also. 

Really? Actually before getting the HE-400 I was having a hard time choosing between the HE-400 and the Mad Dogs since both of them are of different type. Mad Dogs is more mid centric (CMIIW) meanwhile  HE-400 had a more recessed mids.

Did not try the ones with the dog pads but with the 840 pads, the bass sounds less extending than HE-400 IMO.

I saw Mad Dog as a headphone that compliments the HE-400 in the past, so might just want to audition it again with the dog pads on.

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #3,383 of 22,116
I just got HD650 from Amazon with O2+ODAC used from here.

Loving the pair considerably more than HD595 and udac2-hp, hehe.

But now I'm reading all this stuff about HE-400. I know it sounds silly for a sound related thread but my concerns with he-400 are:

1) is it easy to replace the velour pad? So easy if I return the He-400's it won't be an issue (assuming I order them)

2) got a great deal on hd650, if I return them and want them again, I will surely pay more. I guess I could audition he-400 and return the lesser pair

3) the look of hd650 is considerably classier and more refined imo. Velour ready to go, nice head band, some clamping but I'd imagine it eases up with time like my hd555 and hd595 I had.

4) long term hold up of these? They have 1-year warranty but have they been out for a year? I read some questionable quality on the He-4.

5) (a big one) that metal clamp looks terribly uncomfortable. I read OP had issues with comfort level with it resting on his head. Same thing that's scared me away from ever trying Grados, a friends were really bad even for 5 minutes of use.

Seems like Hifiman is a great DIY-expansion headphone. But i dunno, at least somewhat curious and tempted.

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #3,385 of 22,116
Quote:
Please don't use analogies if they make little sense. 
tongue.gif

Burn-in should be treated with hostility at times, because it's tossed around like a plague on head-fi, but so are amps, dacs.. cables *shivers*.... cable burn-in *kill me now*, tube rolling.  It's just one of the hyperboles among many other hyperboles that might make people lose their money.  I know, I fell victim to that.

As a side note, I got my schiit stack today.  Those guys only gave me one set of feet though, so I gotta head to home-depot sometime and get some more rubber feet.
I still don't have my objective combo and he-400 with me, so I'm only comparing the schiit stack to the imac's onboard sound using an EQ'd AD700, but it does seem as though the schiit stack has a lower midrange and bass warmth that the imac doesn't have.  I don't remember the objective combo having this.  I'll see soon enough though.

True, my analogy is rather absurd, but that's the point after all. I think it adequately parodies the non-sequitur i sensed lurking in Envy's post (But nevertheless, it's off the cuff and not well considered and possibly unfair to MadLustEnvy. So my apologies for sallying forth like Don Quixote yet again
blink.gif
.)  Addressing your second point: I feel great sympathy for folks who have been duped by the audio voodoo perpetrators out there, but I try to put my personal feelings aside for the sake of ascertaining the veracity of such claims, especially claims as ubiquitous as the driver burn-in claim.  Though, I should stress this fine point once again: I'm at heart very skeptical of driver burn-in, despite my personal experiences. Anyway, I don't want to derail this thread, so henceforth, little Johnny (that's not my name, btw) is zipping his lips whenever this subject re-arises. Besides, I don't want to further sully Matt's otherwise immaculate thread with such tawdry talk! 
wink.gif
  Peace. 

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #3,386 of 22,116
May i one-up you? :tongue_smile:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  
Motherboard: Asus Maximus V Formula EATX  LGA1155 Motherboard  
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  
Storage: Sandisk 128 gb SSD
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI)  
Case: NZXT Phantom (Black) ATX Full Tower Case 
Power Supply: NZXT HALE82 850W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply 
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)

Along with a Razer Blackwidow ultimate 2013, Razer taipan, and a Yamakasi Catleap 2560 x 1440 27" LED monitor
Total was about $2750
I've got a very similar setup except with a 2500k at 4.9Ghz. You like the catleap? I've been considering one of those Korean monitors.

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #3,387 of 22,116
Quote:
I just got HD650 from Amazon with O2+ODAC used from here.

Loving the pair considerably more than HD595 and udac2-hp, hehe.

But now I'm reading all this stuff about HE-400. I know it sounds silly for a sound related thread but my concerns with he-400 are:

1) is it easy to replace the velour pad? So easy if I return the He-400's it won't be an issue (assuming I order them)

2) got a great deal on hd650, if I return them and want them again, I will surely pay more. I guess I could audition he-400 and return the lesser pair

3) the look of hd650 is considerably classier and more refined imo. Velour ready to go, nice head band, some clamping but I'd imagine it eases up with time like my hd555 and hd595 I had.

4) long term hold up of these? They have 1-year warranty but have they been out for a year? I read some questionable quality on the He-4.

5) (a big one) that metal clamp looks terribly uncomfortable. I read OP had issues with comfort level with it resting on his head. Same thing that's scared me away from ever trying Grados, a friends were really bad even for 5 minutes of use.

Seems like Hifiman is a great DIY-expansion headphone. But i dunno, at least somewhat curious and tempted.

1) yes
2) you answered yourself there
3) not a question but sure.
4) the physical build is strong, drivers of early HE400s had issues but were resolved
5) only some people find stock headband underpadded, anyway buy a $13 headband pad and the headband issue becomes null

Dec 18, 2012 at 9:40 PM Post #3,388 of 22,116
Quote:
Well, it doesn't necessarily mean it's the cable, it just means it's something upstream from the headphones themselves. Could be the cable, the cable-amp connection, the amp, amp-dac connection, dac, PC, etc.

To make sure it's the cable, try testing it by driving the headphones directly out of your PC rather than through your dac/amp chain.

Quote:
I had a complete left channel drop-out one morning. Headphones -> O2 -> computer. Immediately thought I was screwed.

The solution was, disconnecting phones -> disconnect O2 from computer -> reconnect. The headphone / O2 connection seemed to be the "weak link" in the chain, but I couldn't correct until I just played with the plugs gently. I usually leave mine plugged in full time, so this was an odd occurrence. I hope it is not a symptom of a long-term issue brewing.

I tried both of them and it doesnt help... 

will he-300 and he-500 cable fit with the he-400?

Dec 18, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #3,389 of 22,116
Quote:

People have mixed opinions on the comfort of the HE-400, but I think it's quite comfortable. I can do long sessions with the HE-400, and so can most other HE-400 owners. You definitely have to try to see, but it's surely not terribly uncomfortable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back