**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 18, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #3,363 of 22,116
Don't know how to compare ie to full size open headphones lol.

it's worlds different.

Oh and i bent my HE-400 a little, now it's as comfortable as the HE-500. Thanks!

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:42 PM Post #3,367 of 22,116
But the earbuds sound great. 
blink.gif

Dec 18, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #3,368 of 22,116
yeah, i snapped it in half and ducked tapped it like an engineer.

Feels so much more comfortable.

Dec 18, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #3,371 of 22,116
Quote:
I'll bring this up again:
This bullsh*t burn in is:
- ALWAYS POSITIVE
-Adds bass if a headphone is bass light
-Subdues bass if a headphone has too much
-Brings out the midrange, if a headphone has mid recession
-Brings out the treble clarity if a headphone sounds veiled
-Lowers treble sparkle if a headphone is too bright
It adds/takes away where it's needed by the person claiming burn in occurs. I love how beneficial and perfect burn in is every time someone mentions of it happening.
I do believe changes in sound occur randomly. However, I absolutely call BULLSH*T on anyone who claims a certain hour mark, or after a certain period= better performance than earlier hours. For one, no two headphones are exactly the same. Two, even with Tyll's measurements, you can see the subtle changes being sporadic, and nothing 'settled'.
Again, burn in is more people adjusting to the sound of a headphone, as well as believing something would change so much for the better that their brain tricks them into thinking it's true.

No disrespect, but if we were to apply your logic to Shoe break-in, it would read something like this: 

"I don't believe in shoe break-in."
"Say what! Why is that?" 
"Because people always report that shoe break-in increases foot comfort. If shoe break-in were real at least some people would report an increase in discomfort." 

There is most certainly a non-sequitur afoot here. 
wink.gif

Now, I know shoes are not drivers, so please don't read too much into this analogy. It's not meant to be taken too seriously.  

Imho, the problem of burn-in should be handled with a little less hostility. Really. We should scrupulously examine all the scientific data before accepting or dismissing headphone burn-in. But here's the rub: there's little to no credible evidence to support driver burn-in, but (and this is a big but) the same can be said for brain burn-in too, which is the only alternative theory. 

Also consider this little anecdote: a good friend of mine did not believe in driver burn-in, but a family member talked him into burning-in his new headphones anyway. My good friend listened to his new headphones for five minutes, and with a scowl made a few notes before stowing his cans in his desk to "gratuitously" burn them in for a week. And guess what? At the end of that week, he heard evidence of burn-in! With amazement, he looked at his notes, which read "anemic bass," "screechy treble," and stuff like that, and realized  that now he could not disagree more with his previous assessments.  Since he only tested his headphones for five minutes, and with the purpose of taking a few notes, we can safely eliminate the prospect of "brain burn-in." And since he was downright hostile to the concept of driver burn-in, we can eliminate "expectation bias" too. 

This is a true story btw. And my friend, well, I made him up: this was my experience. 

Of course, this proves absolutely nothing. We both know that. And you know what? I still do not accept driver burn-in as real, mostly because there's no science behind my own experience. So, I've adopted an agnostic attitude. I'm sure rigorous scientific testing will, in time, reveal the veracity or falsehood of this claim. Until then, I'm happy to say, "Calm down, folks. We just don't know the truth of it yet." 

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:26 PM Post #3,372 of 22,116
Please don't use analogies if they make little sense. 
tongue.gif

Burn-in should be treated with hostility at times, because it's tossed around like a plague on head-fi, but so are amps, dacs.. cables *shivers*.... cable burn-in *kill me now*, tube rolling.  It's just one of the hyperboles among many other hyperboles that might make people lose their money.  I know, I fell victim to that.

As a side note, I got my schiit stack today.  Those guys only gave me one set of feet though, so I gotta head to home-depot sometime and get some more rubber feet.
I still don't have my objective combo and he-400 with me, so I'm only comparing the schiit stack to the imac's onboard sound using an EQ'd AD700, but it does seem as though the schiit stack has a lower midrange and bass warmth that the imac doesn't have.  I don't remember the objective combo having this.  I'll see soon enough though.

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:33 PM Post #3,373 of 22,116
Quote:
tongue.gif

Burn-in should be treated with hostility at times, because it's tossed around like a plague on head-fi, but so are amps, dacs.. cables *shivers*.... cable burn-in *kill me now*, tube rolling.  It's just one of the hyperboles among many other hyperboles that might make people lose their money.  I know, I fell victim to that.

As a side note, I got my schiit stack today.  Those guys only gave me one set of feet though, so I gotta head to home-depot sometime and get some more rubber feet.
I still don't have my objective combo and he-400 with me, so I'm only comparing the schiit stack to the imac's onboard sound using an EQ'd AD700, but it does seem as though the schiit stack has a lower midrange and bass warmth that the imac doesn't have.  I don't remember the objective combo having this.  I'll see soon enough though.

How much volume wiggle room do you have with the magni? Any noise floor with the stack?

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #3,374 of 22,116
Quote:
tongue.gif

Pics...pics...pics!!

Dec 18, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #3,375 of 22,116
Well the EQ'd AD700 is 3db down from 100-1000hz, and 6db down in the upper mids.  On most songs I can comfortably adjust volume to just over 9 o'clock with it.  Un-EQ'd AD700 is just under 9 o'clock.

Something high DR like say, Aqualung, I can get up to 10 o'clock with EQ'd AD700, and 9 o'clock without EQ.

I'm sure the HE-400 is as other people say, safe up to around 10-11 o'clock.

I don't really want to know if there is a noise floor, because I don't think I'll ever put my volume pot that high.  Without music playing however, I don't notice any noise no matter how high I turn it.

No pics for now until I get that other set of feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back