**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 15, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #3,121 of 22,116
Matt, I could be a sucker. If you have any comments or ideas to pass along, please do so. If anything, we might be able to salvage something and turn it into a group buy thing. But, î never want to be a seller or a MOT here.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #3,122 of 22,116
Matt, I could be a sucker. If you have any comments or ideas to pass along, please do so. If anything, we might be able to salvage something and turn it into a group buy thing. But, î never want to be a seller or a MOT here.

Dec 15, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #3,123 of 22,116
Chances are I will receive my headphone + the velours this monday! 
Can't wait to start the modding 
very_evil_smiley.gif

I'm also really curious at how well the audinst hud-mx1 will drive the he-400 in comparison to the E9. I might have to buy the magni as well!

Does anyone know if there's a review out on the magni+HE-400, or magi vs asgard?

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #3,124 of 22,116
Quote:
You know what guys, I changed my mind again. Somehow the HE400s just have a more realistic timbre than the HE500s. The latter are more pleasing, neutral, transparent, intimate, smooth, and overall higher fidelity, but there's something about the HE400 tonality that gives me goosebumps. Its treble doesn't really work well with female vocals but somehow its mids colouration make them sound startlingly real. Overall it just sounds like such a diamond in the rough.

Excuse me while I listen more on these instead (I've been fiending on the HE500s exclusively for the past couple of weeks).

I know what you mean.  I actually got the velour pads and they do change the headphones' characteristic; but, that mid-band colouration using the pleathers does give a sense of realism to the sound - odd.  I think I'm becoming accustomed to their sonic signature and am beginning to pick the faults in my other go to headphones (the Beyerdynamic DT-770 and Beyer Dynamic Dt-311) previously it was the other way round.  This is all good for me as I can now relax, forget about the headphone’s shortcomings and just enjoy what I’m listening to.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:21 PM Post #3,126 of 22,116
I hope for the same, though I don't have the O2.

I'm missing my HE400. The Magni and Modi I just want. I haven't had any emails about it being shipped yet though. :frowning2:

I'm kind of busy reviewing 3 headsets though. But still! I need this Schiit ASAP.

Dec 15, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #3,127 of 22,116
So after living with my HE400s for two weeks now, I am really loving them. The only issue I have so far is how far the connectors stick down. Granted I am using my home made cable, but the connectors only stick down an eight inch further than the stock cable. The only time this is really an issue is when I am going to fall asleep sitting up, but it is slightly annoying that they jab my shoulders when I move my head too close to my shoulders.

Anyone else have this issue or am I the only one?

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:43 PM Post #3,129 of 22,116
Hey guys, i have an important question regarding the HE'400. Since those are PLanar MAGNETIC, the X-ray on the airport security can impact them negativly? and also, will i **** up the X-ray machine with them?

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #3,130 of 22,116
Quote:
Hey guys, i have an important question regarding the HE'400. Since those are PLanar MAGNETIC, the X-ray on the airport security can impact them negativly? and also, will i **** up the X-ray machine with them?

Are you worrying about the magnets? Because all headphones, or actually all sound making devices, have magnets in them. 

You're fine :)

Also to my knowledge, X-rays and magnets do not affect each other at all.

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #3,131 of 22,116
Quote:
Are you worrying about the magnets? Because all headphones, or actually all sound making devices, have magnets in them. 

You're fine :)

Also to my knowledge, X-rays and magnets do not affect each other at all.

Sounds good, i just hope other people can confirm this :D.

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:34 PM Post #3,132 of 22,116
Quote:
Sounds good, i just hope other people can confirm this :D.

You don't need to confirm it, it's a non-issue. The only things you need to worry about at airports are electronics whose storage get wiped by metal detectors (which are magnetic), X-RAYS have no relevance.

Now unless your headphones have hard-drives in them, there is absolutely zero risk of anything.

Dec 15, 2012 at 4:58 PM Post #3,135 of 22,116
Quote:

I was planning on just building a standard SET cable with the SMC connectors at the other end.  However, I do already have an XLR cable with speaker taps that I plan on packing.  If time permits on Friday evening, I might be able to install a 4-pin Neutrik XLR cable as a temporary solution prior to Saturday's meet.

Edit: I kind of like these "triple threat" cables from Double Helix Cables, which would allow one to run virtually any cable with their HifiMAN headphones.

Linkhttp://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=37

HE-400 stock cable is four core cable so that it can be easily modified to Balanced cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back