**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 6, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #2,791 of 22,116
Hence the confusion. This cuppy resonance is only an issue if you block the grills with anything. I can't even lay down with the HE400 without the pillow or blanket covering a little of the grills, and adding resonance. So the HE-400 is a sit up and listen kind of headphone. Keep the grills free of ANYTHING, especially hands.

Dec 6, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #2,792 of 22,116
I think you guys are confusing things.... i think he means that when NO headphones are involved, if you cover your ears with your hands, you hear a sound (that is what he calls ressonace) and its basicly your ear hearing its own vibration.

Now, on the other hand, when he puts the headphones on without playing anything, he hears a similar sound.

This would be normal due to the fact that regular dynamic headphones partially block this vibration with their construction.
I suggest trying velour pads instead of leather (leather blocks those vibrations less).

Dec 6, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #2,794 of 22,116
Quote:
I think you guys are confusing things.... i think he means that when NO headphones are involved, if you cover your ears with your hands, you hear a sound (that is what he calls ressonace) and its basicly your ear hearing its own vibration.

Now, on the other hand, when he puts the headphones on without playing anything, he hears a similar sound.

This would be normal due to the fact that regular dynamic headphones partially block this vibration with their construction.
I suggest trying velour pads instead of leather (leather blocks those vibrations less).

Thank you, that is exactly what I meant (a bit like the seashell to the ear effect, although the effect is several orders of magnitude less).  I might just try the velour pads, but I suspect I may have to get used to the "none damped" effect of something covering my ears.

Thanks for all the input though.

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #2,796 of 22,116
Hello all,

Just recently purchased a pair of HE-400 from a fellow headfier. I'm really enjoying them especially the low end. My only grip is I find that the treble is a bit too harsh. I'm unsure if this has to do with the source I'm using or if it has to do with the headphones sound signature. I thought I had gotten used to bright treble with the DT 990, but after listening to this headphone for about 3-4 hours straight, I'm still finding the treble a bit sibilant (I'm currently EQ the high end just too be able to enjoy my music). 

Currently running it straight from my Macbook Pro. Any thoughts, advice, personal experience would be much appreciated.

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #2,797 of 22,116
Quote:
Hello all,

Just recently purchased a pair of HE-400 from a fellow headfier. I'm really enjoying them especially the low end. My only grip is I find that the treble is a bit too harsh. I'm unsure if this has to do with the source I'm using or if it has to do with the headphones sound signature. I thought I had gotten used to bright treble with the DT 990, but after listening to this headphone for about 3-4 hours straight, I'm still finding the treble a bit sibilant (I'm currently EQ the high end just too be able to enjoy my music). 

Currently running it straight from my Macbook Pro. Any thoughts, advice, personal experience would be much appreciated.

It does have a spike at 9kHz, but at that frequency it's mostly harmonics of cymbals and such. The spike doesn't really go up that far, but the fact that there us a large dip right before it makes it more noticable.

I'd imagine due to lack of power you don't have a whole lot of breating room to really do any EQ other than additive(which you should never do). So getting an amp might be a good idea.

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #2,798 of 22,116
Thank you for your response. It does make quite a bit of sense, and I do find it quite noticeable (especially with cymbals and such!). As for the EQ not having much breathing room, you're on point once again. Not only is my EQ not accurate enough in the frequencies I can modulate, it doesn't seem to do too much either. 

I do plan on getting an amp in the future (although my audio budget is currently spent). I was thinking of getting to ODAC and then a "warmer" amp. I haven't read up on the O2 amp enough to know if it would fit what I'm looking for and would love to hear other users input on what amp they use and how it affects the high end of the HE-400. When I had my DT990s I paired it with a LD MKIII amp and it really worked wonders in tightening the bass and smoothing out the top end. I think I'd be looking for something similar here.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:15 PM Post #2,799 of 22,116
Quote:
Hello all,

Head to a craft store and purchase a $.99 cent piece of 8.5" x 11" craft felt.  Cut some circles to put inside of the ear pads.  Just set them in place, no need to initially adhere them with any adhesive, etc.  Then, try another listening session.  The sound should not be muffled in any way, and you'll probably notice that the "spikey" upper frequencies that were bothering  you will be tamed, a bit.

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #2,800 of 22,116
^^ Good advice here and not too expensive either. 
wink.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #2,801 of 22,116
Quote:
Thank you for your response. It does make quite a bit of sense, and I do find it quite noticeable (especially with cymbals and such!). As for the EQ not having much breathing room, you're on point once again. Not only is my EQ not accurate enough in the frequencies I can modulate, it doesn't seem to do too much either. 

I do plan on getting an amp in the future (although my audio budget is currently spent). I was thinking of getting to ODAC and then a "warmer" amp. I haven't read up on the O2 amp enough to know if it would fit what I'm looking for and would love to hear other users input on what amp they use and how it affects the high end of the HE-400. When I had my DT990s I paired it with a LD MKIII amp and it really worked wonders in tightening the bass and smoothing out the top end. I think I'd be looking for something similar here.

I was going to get the HE-400 but I experienced that spike being too irritating in some type of music so I decided to splurge and get the HE-500 that does not have the problem.

Also I just purchased the amp Project Sunrise 2 and ODAC for the HE-500.

Dec 6, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #2,802 of 22,116
Quote:
I was going to get the HE-400 but I experienced that spike being too irritating in some type of music so I decided to splurge and get the HE-500 that does not have the problem.

Also I just purchased the amp Project Sunrise 2 and ODAC for the HE-500.

I wouldn't really consider it a problem, there's a good chance they put it there on purpose. It makes the sound appear more airy and detailed in a lot of songs.

One con of it though is that it makes noise floors easier to pick up. It's not a crowded at all frequency in music, but it'll always be in noise floors. 

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #2,805 of 22,116
Hello all,

I felt the same. The DT990 has strong treble, but it's clean. I find the HE400's treble to be more jarring at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back