**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Nov 13, 2012 at 9:59 PM Post #2,386 of 22,116
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I am going to give the ears a nice break, and continue with alcohol/vinegar drops as the last dose seems to have relieved some pressure.

I once had a wax blockage for year! Drs. typically laughed at it while I was convinced I might actually be going deaf. Meanwhile I adjusted to it for the most part, and figured car-audio was to blame. Then one day I visited the doc and forced him to do something. Sure enough, we found some scarring on the drum and impacted ear wax.

But when the wax was forced out holy S*** I thought I had super-hearing. It was like the world was 20 dB'ed cranked up just for me. That went on for days. Therefore to this day I am quite consientious and paranoid about impacted wax but actually avoid cu-tips but try gentle rinsing as needed.

I will likely be fine, but once in awhile I do seem to need to take measures to get beat the "wax creep" sensation into submission. I took anti-biotics for a similar issue a couple years ago. Since then, alcohol and vinegar is an awesome infection killer (if you think you might have one coming).

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:05 PM Post #2,387 of 22,116
As to the alcohol you mix with the vinegar, is Jack Daniels sufficient?  
biggrin.gif

I've found a foaming solution at my drug store that seems to work well for me.  Then again, maybe the vinegar and alcohol mixture would work better.  Usually the over-the-counter ear cleaners can be a bit weak, as they don't want people to flub up their ears and sue the company who made the product.  As much as I love music and listening to it, I'd give up one of my arms over not having good hearing.  
eek.gif

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #2,388 of 22,116
Quote:
As to the alcohol you mix with the vinegar, is Jack Daniels sufficient?  
biggrin.gif

I've found a foaming solution at my drug store that seems to work well for me.  Then again, maybe the vinegar and alcohol mixture would work better.  Usually the over-the-counter ear cleaners can be a bit weak, as they don't want people to flub up their ears and sue the company who made the product.  As much as I love music and listening to it, I'd give up one of my arms over not having good hearing.  
eek.gif

Most Ear-Drops use alcohol in them I noticed. I usually seek out 70-90% common isopropyl alcohol and ordinary white vinegar (also a great household cleaner 50% diluted with water). Whiskey is probably good, but would be weaker. More like Moonshine!

Hydrogen Peroxide FEELS like it is cleaning you well, but I feel I've had better success with my mixture, which was also med-professional approved. If you think you get swimmers ear a lot, a couple drops before and after a swim / shower shouldn't hurt anything. You will smell like vinegar a little, which lingers, but the alcohol dissolves. That stuff will definitely kill infection and dissolve ear wax a little. But it is important to drop, gently massage, and LEAVE ALONE. Cu Tips are a no no. Let it drain naturally and you will have less issues.

And of course remember that wax serves a purpose, so don't go nuts using the stuff!

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #2,394 of 22,116
It's just a retro fit for the HFM to use mini xlr connections. The connectors have always been a weakness of this hp. It just makes sense, to me, to change them over to something that is tried and true like the mini xlr's. Audeze has the good sense to use them and HFM would be wise to make the change. 

I prefer the Q cable which now comes stock with the mini xlr's and earring adapters to fit different types of hp's. But how nice would it be not to have to use the earrings and just plug straight int the hp? 

Nov 14, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #2,395 of 22,116
The HE5 was really nice looking, but I heard they had wood cracking problems.

Nov 14, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #2,396 of 22,116
Quote:
It's just a retro fit for the HFM to use mini xlr connections. The connectors have always been a weakness of this hp. It just makes sense, to me, to change them over to something that is tried and true like the mini xlr's. Audeze has the good sense to use them and HFM would be wise to make the change. 

I prefer the Q cable which now comes stock with the mini xlr's and earring adapters to fit different types of hp's. But how nice would it be not to have to use the earrings and just plug straight int the hp? 

I've read many people say this, but what's wrong with Hifiman's implementation? Does it get loose lose connection?

Nov 14, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #2,400 of 22,116
Quote:
I just wanted to ask if any of the Headphone nuts here every get recurring ear problems from listening to their phones? Other than occasional and scary "ear ringing" for example.

I've switched back to my HD595s today for the sake of comfort, and because both my right, and now my left ear have been getting plugged / achey a lot this week. My theory is that, phones insulate and "heat up" your ears, and possibly promote movement of wax to places it might not normally go. Also, the circular design of the HE-400s may be applying more force to my lower ear (the cartiledge spots near the lobe).

Chances are, I need to take a long headphone break. But I have not been at extreme volumes. But both my ears are complaining.

Headphone use should not end up causing physical issues with the ears beyond ear sensitivity/pain/ringing from excessive volume.  If you're getting pain, fluids, etc, that is being caused by something unrelated to over the ear headphones. 

Maybe it's from IEMs maybe it's from your past was build up issues....but pain and fluid sound like a more serious problem than headphones....infection, or maybe just impacted wax, etc.  But if the peroxide is burning....I would seriously get that looked at if you value this hobby.  Peroxide in the ear should feel funny....not burn...

Quote:

But as we are all family here and wants best for each other...listen to these words...GET OF UR BUTT and check ur ears with ur doc..if ur having a infection of sort u can get deaf in worst case scenario..Sorry..but had to act as a worried big brother would..
tongue.gif
so dont take it as an offence..i want u to enjoy ur music as i do..and with hearing loss its much less enjoyable...i had an infection because of my westone in ear phones and my girl had almost grap my hair to push me to the doctors..but by god..am so happy she did..as i had a bad infection in my front lab or something because of ear smear pushed backinto my ears that caused my severe headaches..i had to take anti biotics for two weeks and some iggy fluids to flush my ears out twice a day..and worse..No headphone for 2 months
mad.gif
so pls do the right thing..before u put any fluids in ur ears..it can make things worse if u dont know whats wrong inside ur earcanal or deeper inside...i know we all mean well..but best advice is checking with ur doc..maybe its nothing and just ear smear ..but better be safe then sorry my grandma always told me..and she got to an age of 103!
tongue.gif

+1 I agree.   Though you've made me a afraid to ever use my SE535s again
mad.gif
  Which tips were you suing with your Westones?

Quote:
Can't say I've had issues with the connectors so far.

Depends on the cable.  Moon Audio cables and the stock HE-400 Canare tend to wiggle themselves off quite frequently for me and many others.  The HE-6 cable and Q cables virtually never have a problem with their high flexibility.  Any cable that acts as its own strain relief is usually fine.  Any cable that applies pressure to the connector if it's moved, including the stock one, is probably not fine.

It's annoying, but the most annoying thing seems to be for cable makers...they hate those SMC connectors.  People that change their cables often tend to also have issues with it.  SMC (mini-F) was meant for connections that rarely get touched such as satellite dish installs and things...they were never meant for high-flex. However I don't have any intention of getting replacement connectors installed in my cans, either.

Quote:
Another issue with the connectors is that they have no protection from any accidental yanking. Headphones could get damaged as a result.

I don't think there are any connectors that solve that particular problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back