**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Nov 8, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #21,751 of 22,116
I took off my Focus pads and put back on the velour pads I originally used, and I think I'll keep them on. The Focus pads did help tame the spashiness somewhat, and added a rather noticeable amount of bass depth, but that depth slowed down the slam noticeably as well. I think for the purest HE-400 experience, you need the velour pads.

Audeze vegan pads! Best 60 bucks I've spent on a mod. Have them on the 400,500 and the 6. Great synergy with all of them.

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #21,752 of 22,116
Audeze vegan pads! Best 60 bucks I've spent on a mod. Have them on the 400,500 and the 6. Great synergy with all of them.

Agreed. Have them on my 400 & 6.......also you guys may want to try the 400 out of speaker taps of a vintage amp.........the bass and overall sound is improved. That is how I listen to both.........

Nov 12, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #21,759 of 22,116
My HE-400 recently started losing sound on the left side 5 minutes right after turning it on randomly. There's a way to fix it which includes plugging it out of my soundcard, leaving it unplugged for about 3 minutes, plugging it a few times in my phone for a few seconds and then plugging it back in. It will either lose sound again in 5 minutes, or keep playing and I'm good until I pause using it again. I also cant seem to go very high volume for those 5 minutes as it seems to up the chance of sound cutting out (Though again, high sound is fine once its past that mark)

Weirdest **** ever. And I need those exact steps to fix it, from unplugging it for a few minutes to plugging it into my phone a few times a second before plugging it back in and hoping.

I assume there's no way to fix it and since these things are now 2 or 3 years old (unsure) there's no warranty for it. I can probably get it fixed but shipping to china back is going to cost me money and a lot of time.

Have any headphones popped up similar to this? Because Aside from the sibilance sometimes, I don't care about better sound. These are more or less perfect for me.

Thinking of buying another pair of them, but unsure if that's the best bet.

Nov 14, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #21,760 of 22,116
I had opportunity to compare completely stock HE400 without any mods, and my grill and sorb modded pair. I could really hear it. Sound is just bigger. Wider soundstage, less splashy treble, cleaner in general, more Hi-Fi. Simply superior, those mods are definitely worthwhile. :)

Nov 14, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #21,761 of 22,116
do you use inline resistors or the hifiman speaker tap box when using speaker amps?

Neither. Straight power to the phones. Just start with volume control all the way down..

Nov 14, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #21,762 of 22,116
  My HE-400 recently started losing sound on the left side 5 minutes right after turning it on randomly. There's a way to fix it which includes plugging it out of my soundcard, leaving it unplugged for about 3 minutes, plugging it a few times in my phone for a few seconds and then plugging it back in. It will either lose sound again in 5 minutes, or keep playing and I'm good until I pause using it again. I also cant seem to go very high volume for those 5 minutes as it seems to up the chance of sound cutting out (Though again, high sound is fine once its past that mark)

Weirdest **** ever. And I need those exact steps to fix it, from unplugging it for a few minutes to plugging it into my phone a few times a second before plugging it back in and hoping.

I assume there's no way to fix it and since these things are now 2 or 3 years old (unsure) there's no warranty for it. I can probably get it fixed but shipping to china back is going to cost me money and a lot of time.

Have any headphones popped up similar to this? Because Aside from the sibilance sometimes, I don't care about better sound. These are more or less perfect for me.

Thinking of buying another pair of them, but unsure if that's the best bet.

Hi there -

For starters, stop using the computer sound card. Try other sources (like your phone). Does the issue continue? Does connecting a different pair of headphones/speakers have the same problem?

Also, check the cable connections. Are they secure? My L channel SMC connector tends to back itself out once in a while, leading to channel cut-out. I DON'T recommend tightening with a wrench, but maybe an ever so-slight extra twist if your connection gets loose.

Try reversing the headphone cables, so that the R Channel is plugged into the L Channel. Does the issue move to the other side of the headphones?

Sorry you are having problems. What color is your driver casing? There were certain older versions of these headphones that were prone to losing a channel, I thought.

Nov 14, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #21,763 of 22,116
If you're looking to replace your 'phones this is the best online site I've ever dealt with. I've never heard the 400S or 400i's. If your trouble shooting revels a defective driver these guys also do repairs. Contact Mike Olsen. Guy's a genius when it comes to repairs and modifications. Been doing business with them over 10 years without any problems.

https://www.headphone.com/collections/audiophile/products/hifiman-he-400s-planar-magnetic-headphone

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #21,765 of 22,116
  Hi there -

For starters, stop using the computer sound card. Try other sources (like your phone). Does the issue continue? Does connecting a different pair of headphones/speakers have the same problem?

Also, check the cable connections. Are they secure? My L channel SMC connector tends to back itself out once in a while, leading to channel cut-out. I DON'T recommend tightening with a wrench, but maybe an ever so-slight extra twist if your connection gets loose.

Try reversing the headphone cables, so that the R Channel is plugged into the L Channel. Does the issue move to the other side of the headphones?

Sorry you are having problems. What color is your driver casing? There were certain older versions of these headphones that were prone to losing a channel, I thought.

When I lose 1 side of the headphones it continues on to any device for the next x minutes, about 5. I have to let it "rest", unplugged for it to come back. Seems like any sort of power won't let the side come back on.

I have tried switching the wires around, no help in the long term. I got the wire from Ted Allen from HeadphoneLounge, if that matters.

The cable connections on one side do not ever secure. I'm not sure why, but it's been the case for a while now (Before this issue presented itself). I can keep spinning it forever and ever. It will stay on for a while before falling off again, Other side is fine.

Maybe it is the wire, I haven't been able to test it 100% one way or the other. Right now the issue has stopped happening since I made that post (And I don't want to meddle with it while its going good), but i'm 100% sure it's going to come back sooner or later.

Only thing I changed is switching the wires since that post, though I've done that before and it has never consistently fixed it all the other tens of times I attempted it.

> so that the R Channel is plugged into the L Channel. Does the issue move to the other side of the headphones?

I didn't realize that one side is specific to left and to right? Mine are just colored blue/red so I'm not sure which is which. Custom wire after all.

> What color is your driver casing? There were certain older versions of these headphones that were prone to losing a channel, I thought.

I'm pretty sure I got mine after that was fixed, mine are white last I remember. I dont feel like opening the grill again, it's a pain getting it back on. Here it is: http://i.imgur.com/j0VXlEm.jpg

mikeo@heaphone.com

I'll contact him thanks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back