**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
May 22, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #21,602 of 22,116
Does anyone know of somebody that does headphone repair? My HE-400's are faulty.  

Originally I had thought the cable was starting to break at the point where it leads into the screw connector, because it was starting to wear to the point where i could visibly start seeing the copper wire.  So i had bought an aftermarket cable and then tried it again.  The sound cuts in and out in the right ear cup.  I switched the leads, left to right, right to left, still the right ear cup.  I posted about this earlier and someone said it is not a rare issue to see the pin connector or the driver itself to start becoming faulty.  

I guess im reaching out because I absolutely adore my HE-400's, and to say the least i am a poor mans audiophile.  These planars are my favorite headphone I own.  The sound reproduced by planars are so loving to my ear.  Dont get me wrong i adore dynamic cone drivers but orthos are just........ughhh.  I think you all understand. hahaha

So I am reaching out to the community,  does anyone know someone who repairs headphones. or perhaps someone who could help me further diagnose the problem specifically.

I also am trying to figure out at this point the cost to repair ratio between paying to get them repaired versus just buying a new set.  

Thank you all for listening and responding.

May 22, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #21,603 of 22,116
  Does anyone know of somebody that does headphone repair? My HE-400's are faulty.  

Originally I had thought the cable was starting to break at the point where it leads into the screw connector, because it was starting to wear to the point where i could visibly start seeing the copper wire.  So i had bought an aftermarket cable and then tried it again.  The sound cuts in and out in the right ear cup.  I switched the leads, left to right, right to left, still the right ear cup.  I posted about this earlier and someone said it is not a rare issue to see the pin connector or the driver itself to start becoming faulty.  

I guess im reaching out because I absolutely adore my HE-400's, and to say the least i am a poor mans audiophile.  These planars are my favorite headphone I own.  The sound reproduced by planars are so loving to my ear.  Dont get me wrong i adore dynamic cone drivers but orthos are just........ughhh.  I think you all understand. hahaha

So I am reaching out to the community,  does anyone know someone who repairs headphones. or perhaps someone who could help me further diagnose the problem specifically.

I also am trying to figure out at this point the cost to repair ratio between paying to get them repaired versus just buying a new set.  

Thank you all for listening and responding.

Try and contact PETEREK, he is a member of Head-Fi and does some great work.  IIRC he is also in Michigan so turn around time might be quick for you.

If you feel you can do a little DIY, the SMC connector for the cup side is $5-8, and only 2 wires to solder and quite easy to work with.

May 22, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #21,604 of 22,116
Thank you so much for your imput.  Do you have a link to buy the replacement piece.  I think i could easily manage the diy project.  I have had to solder tiny ac adapter motherboard pins before and wow..... let me tell you haha, you have to have a steady hand and sometimes i feel thats impossible.  

Do you know of disassembling thread you could link me to as i am unaware and unfamiliar with tearing apart my 400's.  

May 22, 2016 at 3:09 PM Post #21,605 of 22,116
  Thank you so much for your imput.  Do you have a link to buy the replacement piece.  I think i could easily manage the diy project.  I have had to solder tiny ac adapter motherboard pins before and wow..... let me tell you haha, you have to have a steady hand and sometimes i feel thats impossible.  

Do you know of disassembling thread you could link me to as i am unaware and unfamiliar with tearing apart my 400's.  

http://www.vetco.net/catalog/gog_result.php?keywords=smc&x=6&y=12

You will only need to remove the grill, there are 4 tabs that you need to carefully remove, see pictures below:

use your finger nail or a very small screw driver

Let me know if you need more info

May 22, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #21,606 of 22,116
Thank you so much.  I am going order the wires and try this asap.  I will post an update in a few days, thanks again

May 22, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #21,607 of 22,116
  Thank you so much.  I am going order the wires and try this asap.  I will post an update in a few days, thanks again

Get the female SMC connector from Vetco, the male connectors are cheaper on Ebay but you need to buy in packs of $10, comes out to $1.25 each, or if you only want a pair then usually about $8/pair.

May 29, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #21,609 of 22,116
Tip of a plastic spoon, a dime, guitar pick, all will work to pop the ring off. Guitar pick is the easiest for people that have them laying around and the vinyl is softer than the ring plastic so it won't damage the ring.

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #21,610 of 22,116
Reacquired my original HE-400 and I must say I missed the sound signature. By no means reference, it's possibly the most enjoyable sounding headphone I own. With Focus pads through my Lyr, it sounds great.

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #21,611 of 22,116
Reacquired my original HE-400 and I must say I missed the sound signature. By no means reference, it's possibly the most enjoyable sounding headphone I own. With Focus pads through my Lyr, it sounds great.

I guess that's why I keep mine around, every once in a while I want that low end thump with some genres of music.

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #21,612 of 22,116
The bass is unreal. But after hearing the 560 and 400i, I've never been able to go back and listen to them so I sold them on. More a question of preference vs quality but there's a noticeable dip in the mids and vocals sound rough and etched compared to HFM's other offerings.

For more instrumental electronic music and even for drone and noise music, the HE-400 is quite competent and those faults aren't very noticeable.

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #21,613 of 22,116
  The bass is unreal. But after hearing the 560 and 400i, I've never been able to go back and listen to them so I sold them on. More a question of preference vs quality but there's a noticeable dip in the mids and vocals sound rough and etched compared to HFM's other offerings.

For more instrumental electronic music and even for drone and noise music, the HE-400 is quite competent and those faults aren't very noticeable.

Dare I say anything north of 120 bpm is going to sound great.

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #21,614 of 22,116

Dare I say anything north of 120 bpm is going to sound great.

Unless it's metal like grindcore, that's very likely 
L3000.gif

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #21,615 of 22,116
My HE-400 is in my bedroom and I listen to mostly 70's 80's rock, R&B, Jpop and Kpop with them, the bass of the HE-400 makes these genres relaxing to listen to for me.  Also have my SR-009 in the bedroom and its used for classical and jazz mostly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back