**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Jan 23, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #21,091 of 22,116

A member named Lohb sells a suspension pad setup for the HE series that is excellent in my opinion.  $45ish and worth it to solve that headband problem better than any pad.  Have it on my HE-400 and it helps overall comfort. 

By the way, the price is $39, not the $45 I thought.............

Jan 24, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #21,093 of 22,116
  I'm buying a pair of he-400's soon, and I am torn between the vali and magni. WHich is better suited for the 400? 

I would go with the Vali 2, myself, but when in doubt, inquire with Schiit Audio. Avoid the Vali (1) due to the way the tube was integrated.

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:51 PM Post #21,095 of 22,116
Never tried a Vali or a Magni but I can confirm the G1217 and any HE-400 are AMAZING together. I honestly think it's best combo I've experienced.

Never used a Vali or Magni but I use IEMs 90% of the time an on ears 10% of the time so it's important my head amps don't push too much power to make them only useful for planars... but all the planars i've tried really sing with the Polaris

Jan 24, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #21,098 of 22,116
BTG Audio will change connectors for you. You'll have to pay, of course. But you'll end up with more convenient connectors in the long-run.

Oh man, its $100 for the mod. I'll probably get it done once the current ones completely break or the cord goes bad. 

Also let me know how the Lohb strap works for you once you try it out!

I honestly don't think I will be getting any more headphones after these. If I do spend money on audio it'll be on speakers. Already have the Hifiman's for desk use, Sony V6s and Shure SE215s SPEs for portable use. 

Jan 24, 2016 at 10:39 PM Post #21,099 of 22,116

Oh man, its $100 for the mod. I'll probably get it done once the current ones completely break or the cord goes bad. 

Also let me know how the Lohb strap works for you once you try it out!

I honestly don't think I will be getting any more headphones after these. If I do spend money on audio it'll be on speakers. Already have the Hifiman's for desk use, Sony V6s and Shure SE215s SPEs for portable use. 

What problem are you having with the connectors?  If it's that they come loose, get a 6mm open end wrench to lightly tighten them.   I agree they are not optimal but I've never had any issues on either my HE-400 or HE-6. 

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:02 PM Post #21,100 of 22,116
A set of [COLOR=222222]Audeze to Hifiman cable adapters came with a recent purchase form another user. I dont have an audeze cable, how much should I resell these for? [/COLOR]http://imgur.com/F6Avagf

I had the same made for me from q-audio a year back and was charged $30. Newer, smaller adapters go for $55

Cheers,
K

Jan 24, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #21,101 of 22,116

What problem are you having with the connectors?  If it's that they come loose, get a 6mm open end wrench to lightly tighten them.   I agree they are not optimal but I've never had any issues on either my HE-400 or HE-6. 

I've tried tightening them multiple times and they are always coming loose. I think the cable side connector is just stripped on my pair now. Hopefully it works for a while so I don't have to drop money on another cable or like $160 on the cable mod + a new cable. I might try one of the cheaper cable options from ebay if it gets really bad. 

Jan 25, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #21,102 of 22,116

I've tried tightening them multiple times and they are always coming loose. I think the cable side connector is just stripped on my pair now. Hopefully it works for a while so I don't have to drop money on another cable or like $160 on the cable mod + a new cable. I might try one of the cheaper cable options from ebay if it gets really bad. 

You need to wind them counter-clockwise before screwing them in clockwise an equal amount then there is no tension in the wound cables which would cause them to come loose. It came up way back in the thread.
If you screw them straight in there will be wound tension in the cables.

Jan 25, 2016 at 2:15 AM Post #21,103 of 22,116
I would go with the Vali 2, myself, but when in doubt, inquire with Schiit Audio. Avoid the Vali (1) due to the way the tube was integrated.

Actually, I MUCH prefer the Vali 1 solution of a tube that lasts as long as SS amps. Set it and forget it. I have zero desire to tube swap, so saying to avoid Vali 1 is just your opinion and not something everyone needs to adhere to.

Jan 25, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #21,105 of 22,116
  I am ordering some he400 through a forum member sometime this week, and am beyond excited. I got the vali/modi off craigslist in my area. Anything a new user to Hifiman (and planars in general) should know before slipping these on?

Yes - twist the earcups to conform to your head - gently. Pinch the blue plastic and headband together when you do it, where the model marking is. If the clamp is too tight, gently, gently bend it out to loosen it up a tad. There is nothing but glue holding it together, so you want to be gentle.

If inserting the headphone wire into the cups, do not overtighten. Gently get it on there and try not to "twist" the cord as you do it. Doing so stresses the cord which can tear and may also cause the nut to back out slowly (causing you to think the channel has died on you). The overall build quality of these is such that you should really take care of them as mine are not quite as idiot-proof as Sennheiser, and some of the design choices (like the SMC connectors) are just stupid.

Know that the SQ of these is truly awesome, but that they tend to underwhelm people initially. They are extremely "fast" and have an interesting sound signature that you will adapt to overtime as you listen to them with more kinds of music. After a couple weeks or so, you'll either love them, or think they are just ok, or bad.

I don't want to be a buzzkill, but I don't want you to be disappointed either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back