**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Dec 31, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #21,064 of 22,116
So for those of you who run your HE-400 from the speaker outs of vintage amps - how safe is it volume-wise? my stereo is rated at 120W per channel @ 4-8ohms so I don't want to blow out my HE-400 after i start to touch the volume knob from 0!

Dec 31, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #21,065 of 22,116
  So for those of you who run your HE-400 from the speaker outs of vintage amps - how safe is it volume-wise? my stereo is rated at 120W per channel @ 4-8ohms so I don't want to blow out my HE-400 after i start to touch the volume knob from 0!

I run mine out of my Pioneer Spec 2 amp @ 250wpc.............so the only thing is to be careful starting out with the volume.  In my case I have plenty of play with the volume knob because of having a preamp (Spec 1).  

Dec 31, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #21,066 of 22,116

Always turn to zero before and after. Always. Be careful. You can blow the drivers easily.

Cheers,
K

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #21,067 of 22,116
  I have been wanting a set of the vegan pads but they are just so expensive! I might break down and buy it though.

I just swapped to the velour from the pleather again. I'm not coming directly from using my SZ2000 this time around, so I can make a more fair call on the sound.

The bass isn't as decreased as I thought when switching from the pads but there is definitely a loss in the sub bass thump. It's still there, but not as present.

Everything else sounds smoother & more open in comparison, especially the highs. There is a more airy quality to it than the pleathers. I hear what you mean about the pleathers making treble sharp now though.

I'm very happy listening with the velours right now although I am missing a bit of the bass impact from the pleathers. The velours do make a more proper seal though.

In any case, it's all subjective, and we all have different favorite parts of the HE-400 sound, but I will admit I'm enjoying the velour more than I did last time, maybe the key is not switching to these right after my maximum bass phones
smily_headphones1.gif

Velours are kind of itchy though. need to find a way to fix that. that is my main complaint with them, really.

Glad you are "getting it". For the itch - I would try soaking them in some gentle detergent and warm water for a while, then rinsing them out to dry for awhile. That softened mine up a bit and well itchiness is not usually the way I experience them.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #21,068 of 22,116
Quote:
  As someone who has actually tried all he mentioned pads, I will again state the vegans are the best in comfort and sound (to my ears).

I agree 100% (probably, haven't heard the vegans myself). But $80 bucks versus $10 bucks for the velours - no thanks. Not when I am already maybe $430 or so invested into my HE-400s, and the cable is falling apart and I probably need to fix that next! If anyone knows how to get a pair of compatible cables cheap, I would be all ears. Cheap means, like, $10 bucks. Or I suppose I'll have to try to make my own.

Jan 1, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #21,069 of 22,116

Glad you are "getting it". For the itch - I would try soaking them in some gentle detergent and warm water for a while, then rinsing them out to dry for awhile. That softened mine up a bit and well itchiness is not usually the way I experience them.

Thanks, i will definitely do this. i thought it might mess up the plastic, but i don't see why it would.

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #21,070 of 22,116
Quote:

I agree 100% (probably, haven't heard the vegans myself). But $80 bucks versus $10 bucks for the velours - no thanks. Not when I am already maybe $430 or so invested into my HE-400s, and the cable is falling apart and I probably need to fix that next! If anyone knows how to get a pair of compatible cables cheap, I would be all ears. Cheap means, like, $10 bucks. Or I suppose I'll have to try to make my own.
Mr.speakers alpha pads for $50.00 very comfortable.

Jan 2, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #21,071 of 22,116
Regarding cables and pricing, I diy'd a cable and after the cost of everything it was very close to 100 bucks. So if you see one in that price range that's really not a bad deal. Ela audio or impact audio. Both are women making very good cables to order, beautiful cables very well made. All brands are avaible.

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:37 AM Post #21,072 of 22,116
Quote:

If you can't get them fixed shoot me a PM, I might have some of the stock cables in storage. I could cut you a deal.

Jan 3, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #21,073 of 22,116
Hi guys, I have an opportunity to buy a Creek OBH 21 SE for 100$. For what I have had read it's very reasonable price. I would like to ask you if it will pair with Hifiman He-400 ? I never have had better headphones like this, so I won't know if sound is proper.

Jan 4, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #21,074 of 22,116
I almost bought a Creek way back when, but didn't because of the high-price / low feature and low power (presumably, I've seen one tested). Frankly, for $100 bucks, it sounds like a darn good deal. If it didn't power the HE-400s well, it could probably do justice to a myriad of other more efficient cans.

Honestly 10 mW might be a little on the light side for the HE-400s. I use an O2, which pumps out closer to a 100-200 mWs at very low distortion. Then again 90 dB or so efficiency for 0.33 mW (e.g., 1/3rd of 1 mW) suggests that you would be able to achieve plenty loud levels with that creek if it at least meets its own spec. I'd say go for it. For $100, you could also get a magni or for a little more a custom O2 which are both nice little amps.

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:29 AM Post #21,075 of 22,116
About to pull the trigger on the velpads. I put velours on my old MDR-V6s and I liked them so much better than the stock pleathers. Don't know why I didn't do this earlier.

Has anyone added foam to the headband for comfort? Thinking about also getting these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J80IMJ4
I heard they will fit the hifimans. Going to use velcro to put them on. 

My head is pretty small so I get a pretty small pressure point with the headphones. 

Loving these headphones so much overall. I think these will be the last pair of headphones I will get(until they break). I got a used set of speakers from craigslist and I think I might like speakers more than headphones...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back