**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 14, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #20,882 of 22,116
@Kur0: Can't tell a difference with or without grills, to be honest.

i have tried the grill mods, the difference are  there and subtle...not astonishingly evident...
atsmile.gif
i dont have the grill and i dont want to use the he 400 open without protection...I am not very skillful with my hands
deadhorse.gif

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #20,883 of 22,116

Are you saying that its better to have 16 pieces of 1/4" by 1/4" than 4 pieces of 1/2" by 1/2"?

Following that interpretation its easier to install 4 pieces of 1/2" by 1/2" and then cut them up in to 1/4" by 1/4" after you have them installed?

I'm using the 1/2" and 1/4" as a place holder since you give no sizes in your instructions, just the thickness and duro rating.

Yes it is better to have 4 pieces and 16 pieces, each one of the 4 pieces cut with a blade in 4 parts hence agglomerated...
You take a rectangular piece not too big not too small  1 inches by 3/4 inches(view my photos for approximation) the important thing is when you cut them you take one pieces cut in 4 , an agglomerate of this one piece divided, it is more simple to cut them already sticked on the phone than to mess with very small square one by one...The agglomerate of four by four little pieces ( it is my speculation here)act like a filter to the vibrations, it is like the one piece divided in 4 acted like one integral  piece agglomerate for some vibrations and like 4 pieces for some other range of vibration ... But nevermind my "rationalization" this made for me ALL THE DIFFERENCE... You know it when all are clear on the total spectrum  with a good sounstage and , very good rendering of the instrument timbre, and a 3-d sound...You know that your sorb mod had nailed it... I only try also to understand Why too much Sorbothane act way worser than not enough, and why dividing with a razor blade a piece in 4 is so effective for me....Hence my " rationalization" and reflections... but these 5 rules of mine about the proper use of the sorbothane had made wonder for my HE 400....way better than my stax basic now...
smile.gif
i apologize if i am not clear, English is not my first tongue...

Oct 15, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #20,884 of 22,116

Are you saying that its better to have 16 pieces of 1/4" by 1/4" than 4 pieces of 1/2" by 1/2"?

Following that interpretation its easier to install 4 pieces of 1/2" by 1/2" and then cut them up in to 1/4" by 1/4" after you have them installed?

I'm using the 1/2" and 1/4" as a place holder since you give no sizes in your instructions, just the thickness and duro rating.

the rectangle i had cutted in four has approx. 3/4   inches by 1 inches... The important fact is that the 4 pieces i cut are separated completely by the cut but form together always one conglomerate mass... cutting  in 4 the damping mass of sorbothane transform it in a filtering space and yes it is better to have a conglomerate of 16 little pieces divided in 4 bigger one than only the 4 bigger one individed...the filter effect is not there with the 4 big pieces individed...
smile.gif

Oct 16, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #20,887 of 22,116
i have four  rectangular pieces (3/4 inches by 1 inches) at the bottom of the hoop... the spacing is visible on the photos... i had four other little pieces (each 2 sets of 2 little  squares pieces of approx 1/2  by 1/2 inches approx. distributed between  the center of the hoop in the  upper half of the cup... the height is very tight there with 1/8 inches thick pieces of sorb( if i had one i would have tried with 1/10 inches there ) .. it is important to cut all these pieces in 4 ,,, the sound is better more soundstage and very silky sound.... Hence i had now 8 pieces on each cup of the headphone in all cutted in four.. Between the 2 groups of 4 pieces on each cup there is a void space of approx 2 inches 1/2 without pieces...    best regards
smile.gif

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #20,888 of 22,116
hI,

Can you suggest me a good desktop/portable amp that is more powerful than fiio e12a, as this distorts very easily at high volume.

I want a warm sounding amp, E12a is really good , but just not my cup of tea as its really bright, improves detail in the upper region, makes male vocals very edgy and prone to sibilant.

I would want an amp to drive my he400, with reducing some treble, while boosting sub bass. More warm sounding amp.

Of course the clipping should be eliminated.

No price contstraints, but of course PRICE/PERFORMANCE is what im looking at.

Thank You all :)

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #20,889 of 22,116
  hI,

Can you suggest me a good desktop/portable amp that is more powerful than fiio e12a, as this distorts very easily at high volume.

I want a warm sounding amp, E12a is really good , but just not my cup of tea as its really bright, improves detail in the upper region, makes male vocals very edgy and prone to sibilant.

I would want an amp to drive my he400, with reducing some treble, while boosting sub bass. More warm sounding amp.

What about the Cayin C5?  It drives all of my headphones admirably (including the HE560 and 600ohm AKGs) and has a nice bass boost switch.

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:24 PM Post #20,891 of 22,116
Grill mod was a waste of time for me. No difference. Anyway to add to the sorb mod, I added the senns headband pad and also cut the mounting ring so i can fit a brainwavz velour pad. 100x more comfy than the Hifiman velour and tamed even more highs. Loving it more now.

Looks like we're on the same path. I've had the Senn headband pad on for a couple years now, didn't hear a difference with the grill mod, am about to sorb-mod mine, and would like more comfortable velour pads - thinking I'll get the angled pads, though.

So, how did you attach the HFM mounting rings to the BW pads?

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:29 PM Post #20,892 of 22,116
Looks like we're on the same path. I've had the Senn headband pad on for a couple years now, didn't hear a difference with the grill mod, am about to sorb-mod mine, and would like more comfortable velour pads - thinking I'll get the angled pads, though.

So, how did you attach the HFM mounting rings to the BW pads?

You have to cut it to reduce the diameter. There's an existing line that you can cut along. Took 5 mins

Oct 16, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #20,893 of 22,116
hI,

Gustard H10

Cheers,
K

Oct 16, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #20,894 of 22,116
  hI,

What about the Cayin C5?  It drives all of my headphones admirably (including the HE560 and 600ohm AKGs) and has a nice bass boost switch.

Gustard H10

Cheers,
K

Both excellent choices. I have owned both and both offer excellent performance. 

I would also suggest looking at the Ifi products.

The Micro iDSD amp is small enough to be portable, yet offers more power than a lot of desk top amps. I considered having it as my home amp, but went with something bigger instead. The nano is a little cheaper and less powerful but even more portable.

Oct 16, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #20,895 of 22,116
Both excellent choices. I have owned both and both offer excellent performance. 

I would also suggest looking at the Ifi products.

The Micro iDSD amp is small enough to be portable, yet offers more power than a lot of desk top amps. I considered having it as my home amp, but went with something bigger instead. The nano is a little cheaper and less powerful but even more portable.

+1 for the micro iDSD as well. If the budget allows, it's probably the best choice. I have it too, somehow thought its above budget, but if there is none, this is the most versatile and great sounding amp and doc combo I know. I have yet to find a headphone that doesn't sound good...

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back