**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Oct 16, 2015 at 5:19 PM Post #20,897 of 22,116
So iDSD doesn't make the HE400 overly bright? I just auditioned the Aune X1S didn't find good synergy with X1S. I've heard good things about the Gustard but haven't heard about HE400 + iDSD. Can you explain a bit more about what makes the pairing special?

Yeah, I had not actually really considered the pairing with the HE-400. The iDSD can make bright headphones a little too bright. Not for me. I love the brightness, but I have read comments about it being a bad match for bright headphones.

I recommended the Ifi amps as I believe they are brilliantly made and offer superb sound at a good price. Of course, all that is for nothing if you do not actually like how it sounds.

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #20,898 of 22,116
Performed the sorbothane mod today - used 6 pieces of 1/8" thickness 40 duro with 3M adhesive backing - each piece approximately 3 cm. May have used a bit too much - not sure at this point. No critical listening yet but there is a difference. No judgment yet but will post back with impressions. In the meantime, here are some pictures. Trickiest part was getting the grill retaining ring back in - seemed easier coming off if you remember where the tabs are (1:30, 4:30, 7:30, 10:30).

UPDATE:

After some critical listening, I settled on a bit less sorbothane and smaller pieces with space in between. See picture below. This mod does make a difference, is totally worthwhile and is completely reversible. After some more listening I can more accurately share my impressions.

Oct 18, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #20,899 of 22,116
you must read my method...6 rules... what you have done will probably have some positive effect ,but you put too much sorb, and these  pieces  are homogeneous block  not cutted in 4 hence less airy sound, some muffled frequencies...it is only my experience...
smile.gif

the golden rule :

cutting  in 4 the damping mass of sorbothane transform it in a filtering space

Oct 19, 2015 at 10:33 AM Post #20,900 of 22,116
Great Job on that mod, and great pictures!
biggrin.gif

The trick to the retaining ring, is to line up 2 of the 4 tabs in their holes. Then, the 3rd should pop right in. The 4th, bend the ring gently and twist down to the hole, and it should go right in. I pin the ring with my thumb. Then again I broke a tab and never even felt / saw / heard it happening.

I am quite convinced that I need to go back into mine and remove a few tabs. I will do that soon and report back with pics.

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #20,901 of 22,116
Performed the sorbothane mod today - used 6 pieces of 1/8" thickness 40 duro with 3M adhesive backing - each piece approximately 3 cm. May have used a bit too much - not sure at this point. No critical listening yet but there is a difference. No judgment yet but will post back with impressions. In the meantime, here are some pictures. Trickiest part was getting the grill retaining ring back in - seemed easier coming off if you remember where the tabs are (1:30, 4:30, 7:30, 10:30).

UPDATE:

After some critical listening, I settled on a bit less sorbothane and smaller pieces with space in between. See picture below. This mod does make a difference, is totally worthwhile and is completely reversible. After some more listening I can more accurately share my impressions.

My most important discovery about sorbothane is that cutting the integral one piece of sorb in 4 smaller one near one another, separated only by the thickness of the cut, transform completely the sound... more air between instrument all frequencies are cleaned...no comparison to the distribution of   integral pieces of sorb... probably diagonalization is better than squaring the pieces but i had no more sorb to experiment...It is for that reason that i put the sorb at the exterior : more easy to cut the pieces in 4
smile.gif
without the risk to break the headphone in multiple experiments...

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #20,902 of 22,116
Thanks for the words. :) My son helped me out and it was useful to have two people with getting the retaining ring tabs back in - especially if you don't want to break one. Best to just leave the grilles off until you have tweaked amount and sorb placement to your liking.

I wish I could say that the high frequency peak is gone. It's still there but seems tamed a touch while still retaining the openness and fun sound signature the HE400s are known for. The biggest benefit seems to be that inner detail and nuances in each recording are much improved. This seems especially noticeable on female vocals. Bass seems relatively unaffected, perhaps (maybe) a bit more defined.

Overall not night and day differences but most assuredly a noticeable improvement. Unlike other mods I've tried throughout the years, definitely worth the time and effort. Probably took an hour or two total including changes to sorbothane and less than $30 for materials (I have enough left to do more modding than I would ever have time to do). I am guessing we will be modding my son's HE400s soon....

Let us know what sorbothane configuration you end up with and your impressions. :smile:

Oct 19, 2015 at 11:58 PM Post #20,903 of 22,116
Thanks for the words.
smily_headphones1.gif
My son helped me out and it was useful to have two people with getting the retaining ring tabs back in - especially if you don't want to break one. Best to just leave the grilles off until you have tweaked amount and sorb placement to your liking.

I wish I could say that the high frequency peak is gone. It's still there but seems tamed a touch while still retaining the openness and fun sound signature the HE400s are known for. The biggest benefit seems to be that inner detail and nuances in each recording are much improved. This seems especially noticeable on female vocals. Bass seems relatively unaffected, perhaps (maybe) a bit more defined.

Overall not night and day differences but most assuredly a noticeable improvement. Unlike other mods I've tried throughout the years, definitely worth the time and effort. Probably took an hour or two total including changes to sorbothane and less than $30 for materials (I have enough left to do more modding than I would ever have time to do). I am guessing we will be modding my son's HE400s soon....

Let us know what sorbothane configuration you end up with and your impressions. :smile:

i cannot help without repeating this very important RULE : cut each piece in four and you will tame, clarify and filter  all frequencies....trust me...It will be  NIGHT and DAY difference immediately perceptible  without any doubts, particularly clear and more precise bass , organic highs,absolutely no more problem with the high of the HE 400 and the detailed depth of the soundstage will become astounding compared to before...My method is explained : Post 20868 below

My method confirm Edstrelow discovery that the sorb. mod transform the Stax more than an upgrading amplification... I confirm that for the He 400 with the application rule i describe below...
L3000.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 2:49 AM Post #20,904 of 22,116
Have to say these headphones don't seem to that well made. I've dropped on hardwood floor probably less than 10 times. One day while removing them the plastic part that is attached to the headband broke off. Since the HE400 is discontinued I was told they could attempt to fix it for $50 including shipping and handling. Not sure if I'll go through with it. But I will never buy another new Hifiman product, used yes but not new. That way they don't get my money.

Oct 20, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #20,905 of 22,116
  Have to say these headphones don't seem to that well made. I've dropped on hardwood floor probably less than 10 times. One day while removing them the plastic part that is attached to the headband broke off. Since the HE400 is discontinued I was told they could attempt to fix it for $50 including shipping and handling. Not sure if I'll go through with it. But I will never buy another new Hifiman product, used yes but not new. That way they don't get my money.

Given that they've been dropped on a hardwood floor approx 10 times (!), it sounds like the HE400 have actually held up pretty well!

Oct 20, 2015 at 5:15 AM Post #20,907 of 22,116

I dropped my old MDR-7506 once on carpet and the plastic part by the metal fork broke.  If your HE-400 took a few spills on hardwood floor and didn't break until the 10th time I would say its very well made.

Oct 20, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #20,908 of 22,116
Oct 20, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #20,909 of 22,116
atsmile.gif
i just was thinking that my he 400 was not very well made, then i read your post :

Now i know that my he 400 walk better than they look ....

deadhorse.gif

Oct 20, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #20,910 of 22,116
Been reading about the Sorbothane mod for a while now and grown interested in doing it the same to my 400S. Although I might still do the grill mod on my 400S as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back